Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
what's some good anime for me to watch? recomendations?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:21 am
I've always kind of like anime, but haven't been a huge fan of it. Now I've started watching Vampire Knight and like it a lot.
What's some good anime you'd recommend?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am
oh, and also it'd help if you could tell me what the anime is about.  

DeeSpark

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 am
I hadn't heard of that anime (and thus have never watched it) thus I'll go ahead and point out that Anime Planet has a recommendations feature that may be helpful. I'll use that as a guide. Here is the Vampire Knight URL.

Some ideas of anime I enjoyed that are also well-known (although admittedly I enjoy a degree of darkness / twistedness, and some may be more guy-centric):

Fullmetal Alchemist
In a world where alchemy is more developed than science, people that can successfully do this are known as alchemists. This is the story about two young brothers, alchemy geniuses, who attempted to bring their mother back to life using alchemy. However, human transmutation is taboo because of the consequences ; one brother lost his arm and his leg, the other his entire body. What they created wasn't human.

Now, the two brothers wander the world searching for a way to regain that which they lost...

Princess Tutu
Once upon a time, there was a man who died. In the story the man had been writing, a prince and a raven battled endlessly. Unsatisfied with the situation, the prince and the raven left the story. In the end, the prince sealed the raven away by shattering his own heart.

A girl named Duck (or rather, a duck that wanted to become a girl) fell in love with the prince and desired to restore his heart. An old man gives her a pendant that can transform her into the graceful Princess Tutu.

However, what of the raven? And who was that old man?

(This is a magical girl, ballerina, fairy tale anime... but it's all mixed together surprisingly well and somewhat twisted despite the somewhat innocent premise...)

Hellsing
Meet Alucard, the Hellsing Organization's ultimate anti-vampire weapon. How do you kill a vampire? With an even more powerful vampire!

A rash of vampire outbreaks have been occurring recently and the Hellsing Organization is on the case. They even have an extra hand now ; Seras Victoria, a police officer who was recently turned into a vampire and now has to adjust to her new lifestyle.

Trigun
Vash the Stampede has a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head, he is known as the humanoid typhoon due to the destruction that follows in his wake. An insurance company looking to mitigate the damages sends two women, Merle and Milly, to find him and to bring him under control.

What kind of man is this legendary outlaw?

Cowboy Bebop
It's about a group of bounty hunters that always seems to be a bit short on cash. Spike has excellent hand-to-hand combat prowess despite his light build and slow demeanor, Jet is an ex-cop good at digging up information and keeping the ship from falling apart, Faye is sexy but has a staggeringly huge debt, Edward is a crazy computer hacker from Earth, and Ein is their dog who seems to know more than is let on.

(I guess my description isn't all that great, but lots of people seem to really like this one.)

Elfen Lied
Diclonius look human, but there are a few small differences... pink hair, horns that look like cat ears, and an unquenchable desire to kill normal people using their vectors (extra, invisible limbs.)

One of the most dangerous of these diclonius, Lucy, has escaped from the facility into a world that doesn't know they exist. However, during the escape, a blow to her head causes her to lose her memories...

FLCL
This is a quick but crazy anime. Haruko is an alien riding a yellow Vespa, she's interested in Naota for some reason, but he's got robots coming out of his head (that she fights using her guitar.)

Gurren Lagann
If FLCL is too quick and crazy, this is a little more tame. Humans have been living underground, but Kamina dreams of going to the surface and Simon is along for the ride.

When a giant mecha called a Gunman causes a cave-in revealing the surface, they meet Yohko, also from the surface, and with the assistance of a smaller Gunman that Simon found, they battle the mecha and escape to the surface where they discover that Beast Men, under the watch of the Spiral King, have been keeping humans underground...

Kanon
Yuichi is going to be living with his aunt and cousin for now. The last time he was in this town, he was a young boy, but he doesn't remember what happened. Now, as he spends time in the town and meets people, he begins to remember important things he had forgotten...

Death Note
A bored shinigami (god of death) drops a Death Note into the human world. By writing a person's name in the notebook, that person will die. The notebook ended up in the hands of Light Yagami, one of Japan's brightest students who is sick and tired of the filth of the world.

Excessive use of the Death Note has gained the attention of Interpol who have noticed that criminals in jail are dying alarmingly fast, thus they have hired the legendary L to find this individual whom people on the internet have named "Kira"...

Code Geass
Britannia has been taking over the world using mechas known as Knightmares. LeLouche is a lost prince of Britannia, hiding out in the Britain colony in Area 11 (formerly known as Japan), he hates the Britannia Empire with a passion. Due to a chance encounter with a Japanese rebel/terrorist organization, he comes in contact with a mystery girl name C2 and gains the power of Geass which he will use to change the world...  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:22 pm
Here's my recommendations!
biggrin
I can't describe very well, so I just copypasta'd all of these.
But they're very good!
^^;

Fate/stay night
Ten years ago there was a secret war fought by master mages with their servants in order to obtain the Holy Grail and the result was devastating to everyone. Today, the Holy Grail War is beginning again with new masters. One such master, Emiya Shirou, must now come to grips with the reality of the secret world of war mages and their summoned servants when he unknowingly summons his own servant, Saber; the one said to be the most powerful servant of all. Perhaps Shirou will be the one to provent the destruction that had marked the first war.

Martian Successor Nadesico
The series takes place in the year 2196 and Earth is warring with a race of alien invaders called the "Jovian Lizards". To combat it, a company called Nergal designs a space battleship, the ND-001 Nadesico. The primary protagonist, Akito Tenkawa, is a boy with a mysterious past; once a resident of Mars' Utopia colony, he escaped its destruction by the Jovian Lizards and arrived on Earth, with no memory of how he got there but a terrible fear of the invaders. He hates fighting and only wants to be a chef; however, he is constantly called on to act as a pilot of one of the Nadesico's Aestivalis - humanoid combat robots. While on board the Nadesico, Akito has more problems to deal with than just the Jovians; nearly all the female members of the crew, especially the vessel's captain Yurika Misumaru, seem to be head over heels in love with him, though all he wants to do is cook and watch his favorite anime, Gekigangar III.

Ouran High School Host Club
Ouran Academy: An institution of extravvagance and prestige where learning comes secondary to luxury. But for studious Fujioka Haruhi, education is a privilege that must be earned, being on scholarship and out of place among the moneyed. That is, until the day Haruhi stumbles upon the Host Club, a stumble which leaves the freshman indebted for millions of yen. And the only way to pay for the damages? Well, Haruhi will work as a Host. There's only one problem: Haruhi is a girl! From the troublesome wins with their little games to the self-proclaimed 'king' obsessed with the club's newest member, these boys will cater to any desire. Freshman year definetely looks like it will be one to remember!

Gendomaden Saiyuki
Saiyuki is the story of four anti-heroes: the monk Genjyo Sanzo (or just "Sanzo"), the monkey king Son Goku, the half-demon Sha Gojyo, and the man-turned-demon Cho Hakkai (formerly known as Cho Gonou). They have been dispatched by the Sanbutsushin (the Three Aspects of Buddha, who relay the orders of heaven) to travel to India to stop the possible resurrection of the Bull-Demon-King, Gyumaoh. Along the way they are beset by inept assassins, bad weather, and their own tragic personal pasts. Meanwhile, the villains, two unlikely confidants, Gyokumen Koushou (Gyumaoh's concubine, a demon) and a mad scientist, Dr. Ni Jianyi (a human), continue their attempts to restore the long-dead king. These experiments, a forbidden mixture of science and magic, spawn the "Minus Wave", infecting all of the demons in Shangri-La with madness, shattering the fragile peace that once existed between humans and demons.

Blue Seed
Momiji Fujimiya thought she was just an ordinary high school student. One day, she is confronted on her way to school by a cat-eyed man with blue magatama beads embedded in his hands, who then attempts to kill her. Momiji is confused and terrified this strange man's sudden desire to kill her; he also refers to her as Kushinada, confusing her even further. Momiji is saved by the sudden appearance of two government officials, one of whom shoots the man in the arm and sends him fleeing. Momiji discovers that "Kushinada" refers to an ancient princess whose blood holds the power to stop the ancient monsters known as Aragami by sending them to an eternal sleep. Momiji dismisses the idea that she could be such a person, despite the fact she lives with her mother and grandmother in a shrine in Izumo. However, she soon changes her mind after vines begin to appear from every crack and opening attempting to capture her as they whisper "Kushinada"...

T3h Jinji

Hallowed Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:03 am
thanks guys, I'll be sure to check those out.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:36 am
I wouldn't recommend Bleach, if anybody mentioned it. WAY too many fillers. Read the manga instead. 3nodding

Infact, with most of them, I much prefer the manga. They're just more indepth, and animes tend to cut mangas short, leaving out important details or changing them.  

Kirksome

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

marunoichigo

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 pm
Death note is really awesome ^^ if ya watch it ya will like it ^^ its more for adults not like vampire knight which is more for teens ^^ p.s i like vampire knight too ^^ another good anime is Fruits basket... is about a girl who lost its mother in a caraccident and she lives with a fam which has some kind of mistery^^ its sad and funny all in once

Fruits Basket follows the life of high-school student Tohru Honda, who was recently orphaned when her mother, Kyoko Honda, died in a car accident. After that, Tohru lived with her grandfather, but when his house needs remodeling, Tohru resorts to living in a tent in a forest and holds down a job to support herself. Despite suffering many hardships, Tohru remains optimistic.

One day, Tohru comes upon a house in the forest that is the home of her classmate Yuki Sohma and his cousin Shigure Sohma. When the Sohmas discover that Tohru is living in a tent, they are quite surprised by her inner strength. The entire area is Sohma property, and Tohru asks to be allowed to stay in her tent, but then collapses because of a fever brought on by working too hard. A landslide buries her tent, including her mother's picture and school clothes, and she moves into Shigure's house for the night. Desperate for a break from the filth of the house and takeaway meals, she is asked to become a permanent guest in the house, if she cooks and cleans. She accepts, and is being shown her room by Yuki when Kyo Sohma bursts in (through the roof) to challenge Yuki. Tohru, not knowing Yuki's strength, tries to stop Kyo by grabbing him, and as a result he transforms into a cat. She is then hit on the head with a plank of wood, and collapses into Shigure and Yuki, turning them into a dog and rat respectively.

Tohru discovers the Sohma family's secret, and the reason why Yuki is so private and secretive at school: thirteen members of the family are possessed by the 12 animal spirits of the Chinese Zodiac plus the spirit of the cat who was, according to legend, left out of the Zodiac. They transform into animals when hugged by the opposite sex or when put under a great deal of emotional or physical stress (such as being sick). When she promises to keep their secret, the Sohmas allow Tohru to keep her memories rather than hypnotically erasing them, a fate that had previously befallen anyone not "Inside" the Sohma family who had discovered the secret.

The story follows the lives of Tohru and the Sohma family, as they deal with each other and a society where neither quite fits in, as well as the feared Akito Sohma, head of the Sohma family. Soon, after living with the Sohma family she began to like, then love, all of the Sohmas, and sets out to break the zodiac curse.

thats the plot ^^ so if ya like it enjoy  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:18 pm
Black Cat is an AWESOME manga/anime.
Train Heartnet is an ex-assassin who is trying to avenge his friend Saya's death. Saya was killed by a madman who must die (DOWN WITH CREED! DOWN WITH CREED!) sweatdrop Train befriends a man named Sven, a bounty hunter (sweeper), a girl whose body is made of nanobots, Eve, and Rinslet, a thief for hire. There's only 24 episodes and you can watch a whole lot of animes at www.animefreak.tv I'm pretty sure all of the anime listed are on there! =^^=  

1snic1

4,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

atllover96

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am
fruits basket the anime is pretty sweet, and the mangas even better smile tokyo mew mews ok 2  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 pm
BLEACH, Dragonball z, Ranma 1/2, Chobits, Fruits Basket, Gundam 00  

Alizzler

Patrick No-name

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:07 pm
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

Cant really tell you whats its about or itd be pretty much a spoiler. Think murder mystery, plus a whole lotta psychoticness  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:57 pm
Nadian

Gurren Lagann
If FLCL is too quick and crazy, this is a little more tame. Humans have been living underground, but Kamina dreams of going to the surface and Simon is along for the ride.

When a giant mecha called a Gunman causes a cave-in revealing the surface, they meet Yohko, also from the surface, and with the assistance of a smaller Gunman that Simon found, they battle the mecha and escape to the surface where they discover that Beast Men, under the watch of the Spiral King, have been keeping humans underground...

That is the first time I ever seen Gurren Lagann and tame mentioned in the same breath.  

KaguraOfTheWind

"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games