well duh... how dumb are they?
  pshh! you crazy? heck no!
  i dont really give a hoothoot
  pollwhore right here
  applesauce!
View Results

Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:57 pm
any one else really disapointed that in the three generations of games they havent had a dark type gym. they have had elite four members that used dark types but thats not the same. kinda bites  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:50 pm
Drumgasmic Monkeyguy
any one else really disapointed that in the three generations of games they havent had a dark type gym. they have had elite four members that used dark types but thats not the same. kinda bites
there are four generations of pokemon. Dark and steel weren't in the first two games, but there are four generations.

I don't think it bites, dark pokemon are incredibly easy to compete against. The only real concerns are the ones like Houndoom that are really fast and can take down their biggest weakness quickly.
I think that gyms are easy enough as is, there doesn't need to be any reason for people to keep their early bug types for a single gym. I'd be much more interested in gym leaders that used themes besides pokemon types. (things like Koga's underlying theme of poison, blaine's burn, or Blue's balance.)  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

klonoa1205

Hilarious Gaian

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:10 pm
wellwisher
Drumgasmic Monkeyguy
there are four generations of pokemon. Dark and steel weren't in the first two games, but there are four generations.

I don't think it bites, dark pokemon are incredibly easy to compete against. The only real concerns are the ones like Houndoom that are really fast and can take down their biggest weakness quickly.
I think that gyms are easy enough as is, there doesn't need to be any reason for people to keep their early bug types for a single gym. I'd be much more interested in gym leaders that used themes besides pokemon types. (things like Koga's underlying theme of poison, blaine's burn, or Blue's balance.)

true, they should make them a little harder to beat, but still only have the 1 type. what would be the whole point of a gym leader that doesnt use a certain type. it'll just be like battling another trainer :/ that'll make the game boring >,< Also thats why they have pokemon with 2 types to make them a little harder, fighting a gym leader with all sorts of different pokemon would get too easy anyways becuase your just going to switch out to a pokemon that has a better advantage, hit them once or twice, switch out, its too predictable. :/ atleast with one type you have pokemon that doesnt have an advantage and its hard if its your last resort pokemon.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:17 pm
klonoa1205
true, they should make them a little harder to beat, but still only have the 1 type. what would be the whole point of a gym leader that doesnt use a certain type. it'll just be like battling another trainer :/ that'll make the game boring >,< Also thats why they have pokemon with 2 types to make them a little harder, fighting a gym leader with all sorts of different pokemon would get too easy anyways becuase your just going to switch out to a pokemon that has a better advantage, hit them once or twice, switch out, its too predictable. :/ atleast with one type you have pokemon that doesnt have an advantage and its hard if its your last resort pokemon.
Think of a strong player. do they build a team with only one type? even if they add some subtypes?
No, usually, they have at least 8 types in their team. If the Gym leaders are supposed to be the best below the elite four and the champion, (and in the case of GSC, Red the hermit) One bonus that the G4 gyms had was that they were able to add moves to their pools that were able to handle their opposing types.

As long as they're supposed to be the best. they ought to have a balanced team.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am
wellwisher
Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

i meant in the 3 generatins they had the dark types. you people are laying WAAAAAYYYY too much into this whole topic.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:12 pm
Drumgasmic Monkeyguy
i meant in the 3 generatins they had the dark types. you people are laying WAAAAAYYYY too much into this whole topic.
You must just not be used to people who think about their responses.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

klonoa1205

Hilarious Gaian

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 pm
wellwisher
klonoa1205
Think of a strong player. do they build a team with only one type? even if they add some subtypes?
No, usually, they have at least 8 types in their team. If the Gym leaders are supposed to be the best below the elite four and the champion, (and in the case of GSC, Red the hermit) One bonus that the G4 gyms had was that they were able to add moves to their pools that were able to handle their opposing types.

As long as they're supposed to be the best. they ought to have a balanced team.

i rather like it as one main type, i wouldnt like a pokemon game that all gym leaders still being like trainers :/ no whole point in the gym leader than, also the one type gives the gym leaders their personality in a way.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 pm
klonoa1205
i rather like it as one main type, i wouldnt like a pokemon game that all gym leaders still being like trainers :/ no whole point in the gym leader than, also the one type gives the gym leaders their personality in a way.
it also gives them a weakness though.
maybe if the gyms were divided into being based around two types. and let all of the disciples have a mixture of the two types merged with others. (like a dark and fire gym have the disciples using a combination of fire types and dark types like Slugma, Murkrow, and Macargo as examples.) Then the gym leader have a more balanced team with an underlying strategy. (keeping with the dark and fire theme: Arcanine, Sableye, Houndoom, Tyranitar, and magmortar.) gyms could be more diverse, yet still keep the type theme going. and they'd open themselves up to a whole lot of gym combinations that would enable them to not use the same gym themes for awhile. (And naturally the gym leader's pokemon would use I'd wager one move per pokemon that can hose one of their type weaknesses.) Just to make players have to think a little bit before going into gyms.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

klonoa1205

Hilarious Gaian

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:44 pm
wellwisher
klonoa1205
it also gives them a weakness though.
maybe if the gyms were divided into being based around two types. and let all of the disciples have a mixture of the two types merged with others. (like a dark and fire gym have the disciples using a combination of fire types and dark types like Slugma, Murkrow, and Macargo as examples.) Then the gym leader have a more balanced team with an underlying strategy. (keeping with the dark and fire theme: Arcanine, Sableye, Houndoom, Tyranitar, and magmortar.) gyms could be more diverse, yet still keep the type theme going. and they'd open themselves up to a whole lot of gym combinations that would enable them to not use the same gym themes for awhile. (And naturally the gym leader's pokemon would use I'd wager one move per pokemon that can hose one of their type weaknesses.) Just to make players have to think a little bit before going into gyms.

that would actually be a lot better, i don' now why they don't do that for them :/ and most gyms have their type coverage already don't they ?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35 pm
Most do the attack advantage. but not all of them are able to do the type defenses. For example, if you see a fighting type gym, do you see many electric or dark type pokemon in the teams to counter the weaknesses to flying and electric? You might get a move that can hose one of the type disadvantages, but to get an actual pokemon that can handle those weaknesses. that's not something that they do now.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

klonoa1205

Hilarious Gaian

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:00 pm
wellwisher
Most do the attack advantage. but not all of them are able to do the type defenses. For example, if you see a fighting type gym, do you see many electric or dark type pokemon in the teams to counter the weaknesses to flying and electric? You might get a move that can hose one of the type disadvantages, but to get an actual pokemon that can handle those weaknesses. that's not something that they do now.

oh ok i see what you mean. But 2 type gyms sounds good, just if they don't have a certain type than i won't see anything special about the gym, it'll just like be battling another trainer :/  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:58 pm
klonoa1205
wellwisher

oh ok i see what you mean. But 2 type gyms sounds good, just if they don't have a certain type than i won't see anything special about the gym, it'll just like be battling another trainer :/
what about Blue from Gold, silver, and Crystal?
his team was a Pidgeot, Alakazam, Arcanine, Rhydon, Gyarados, Eggsecutor.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm
wellwisher
klonoa1205
wellwisher

what about Blue from Gold, silver, and Crystal?
his team was a Pidgeot, Alakazam, Arcanine, Rhydon, Gyarados, Eggsecutor.

k, wellwisher, you can go suck an egg. i see all of you people getting into such a deep analitical discussion and i think "wow this is sad". Pokemon was created for fun and enjoyment. i understand how all of you can get into this strategy talk but when your talking like the games are real life and this all really matters. it doesnt, not a single bit. and i know im gonna get a lot of s**t for this but i dont care. all ov you need to learn to deal with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 pm
Drumgasmic Monkeyguy
k, wellwisher, you can go suck an egg. i see all of you people getting into such a deep analitical discussion and i think "wow this is sad". Pokemon was created for fun and enjoyment. i understand how all of you can get into this strategy talk but when your talking like the games are real life and this all really matters. it doesnt, not a single bit. and i know im gonna get a lot of s**t for this but i dont care. all ov you need to learn to deal with it.
You realize that this is a pokemon subforum, right? If we just posted things like "I like pokemon" and brought up things but didn't expect any sort of intelligent discussion on it, we wouldn't be a subforum.
We're here to be nice to each other and talk about pokemon, it's in the rules. If we aren't allowed to discuss the topic of your thread, in your thread intellectually, why are you posting? And besides, we're discussing possible future outcomes in the game programming, and difficulties. we aren't talking like it's real life, it's a game. We've never said anything about referring to this as real life, in game aspects yes, but never as anything beyond a game.

Perhaps were the ones having fun with the game series, and you're just expecting everyone to have the exact same opinion on how to enjoy a game as you do. You aren't required to post in the pokemon subforum you know, If we're bringing in too much to our conversations for your liking, perhaps it would be best for you to look at some of the larger threads and see for yourself what happens in this subforum.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Rekka Atsuma

Girl-Crazy Pyromaniac

8,300 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:44 pm
a dark gym would really be great, but moreso it'd be like a second or third gym

looking at it: we've got
(Gen1->Gen4, going down increases badge no. template)
rock flying rock rock
water bug fighting grass
elec normal elec fighting
grass ghost normal water*
poison fighting fire ghost*
psychic steel flying steel
fire ice psychic ice
ground dragon water elec

(* = in platinum, the reverse is true, making ghost the fourth badge and water the fifth though they are lined-up on t-card as above)
so it would seem Electric and Rock total to three and Rock is usually the first because of it's weakspots
electric jumps all over though, because it's only weakness is ground and it's got a good range of what it can really damage

Dark would be an apt 2nd or third imo, and hey we still dont know gen5's gym types so who knows we may get a dark gym or my personal want: another bug-gym

gen5'll change everything mentioned in this post a slight bit, thats for sure...  
"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games