Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Can People See The Meaning In Some Shows Anymore?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danse-de-Macabre

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 pm
I have asked this before, around my friends and some other people.
When they watch a type of show(Be it anime/Comedy/Horror/Romance)I sometimes ask if they get the meaning. Because, when I was little(Young if you will). Shows/Movies use to have meaning, and you could tell from the episodes and from the dialog as well. But now, as times goes on, Some people don't seem to get the meaning and understanding of the shows morals anymore.
Is it because as time nears, and ages along, that the mental capacity of some children is perhaps lowering to a minimal level? or is it because, the shows have since lowered themselves?.
Like the anime "Elfen Lied"
It is a bloody anime, filled with gore but beautiful graphics. Yet my friend "Stephanie" sees it as just bloody. When the meaning behind the anime is that people can be pushed too far, were they can only take so much, until they finaly snap(Not the way lucy did). But in a more realistic way.
Has society really hidden the morals to kids these days now?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 am
I'm not so sure modern shows or movies, especially in the case of cartoons and animé, are made with a moral in mind, to be quite honest. Nowadays, to me, they seem to be more about random explosions, weird aliens, meaningless storylines and, in some cases, mooching off another guy's idea.
I find that I'd much rather watch the goings on of the wacky Looney Tunes world than stand another installment of Ben 10: Alien Force.
And what's the point of the Star Wars; The Clone Wars series? Seriously, Star Wars' success has been milked dry enough already!
They should seriously go back to the ol' drawing board and start coming up with epic shows that have deep and meaningful messages again.

The Fox Reaper

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:50 am
The Fox Reaper
I'm not so sure modern shows or movies, especially in the case of cartoons and animé, are made with a moral in mind, to be quite honest. Nowadays, to me, they seem to be more about random explosions, weird aliens, meaningless storylines and, in some cases, mooching off another guy's idea.
I find that I'd much rather watch the goings on of the wacky Looney Tunes world than stand another installment of Ben 10: Alien Force.
And what's the point of the Star Wars; The Clone Wars series? Seriously, Star Wars' success has been milked dry enough already!
They should seriously go back to the ol' drawing board and start coming up with epic shows that have deep and meaningful messages again.

I agree wholeheartedly, cartoons used to have deep, philosophical meanings that we didn't understand as children, and now that we are old enough to understand them, they quit making them. I want to make a show that has a deep moral to it so that the next generation of children will have more hope than mine (ours, as the case may be).  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:03 am
You saying there's no hope for our generation? eek

Thaaaat figures. stare

xd

The Fox Reaper

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:31 pm
hm. i kind of have 2 different answers.

first, i agree that shows are being made that are no longer specifically designed to teach lessons to the viewer, but i don't really think that that is a bad thing. as society becomes more prosperous and specialized, fiction starts to gain its own unique dignity. writers are literally trying to create worlds, and as they gain more and more creative freedom, they start to make their worlds more self-contained. this would mean that their creations don't necessarily have to have blatant morals and lessons. after all, ours doesn't. there are always lessons to be learned in this world, but you don't often see someone just spell them out for you. you have to come to understand them through your own developing experience. it's the same with a lot of shows these days. even if they have magic and other seemingly impossible things, they are slowly becoming more realistic, with better developed characters and situations. just like with the real world, the morals in those shows aren't spelled out for you; you have to either just feel them, or or work to understand them, depending on your nature. for instance, when you used Elfen Lied as an example, and explained your take on its meaning, i knew that i hadn't consciously thought of that idea while i was watching it, but i did feel it through my emotional connections to the characters. anger on behalf of one who was wronged, sadness at the pain and distress of a decent character, understanding and pity for the characters that were pushed over the edge so that they ended up doing terrible things. our society isn't necessarily becoming more shallow. it's just becoming more subtle, more visceral.

hm. actually, that pretty much summed up both of the answers i had in mind.

woops. i accidentally ended up doing a bit of a amateurishly poetic rant, there. sorry about the wall of text, as i've seen some people call such things. sweatdrop  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games