Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Church and Law

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zeriga Pendragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 pm
I heard once that American Government was originally written for it not to be effected by Church. But if this is so, why is Church playing such an important role in today's government? Or, am I just wrong about what I heard?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm
⊹⊱⋛⋋♥⋌⋚⊰⊹

Because everyone has to be careful to not offend religious groups. stare

They're so sensitive to everything sometimes.

Least that's what I understand.

If you're not careful you'll have a giant group of churchies or something on your a**. @_@

Not saying they're ALL bad... But you know.

Bagel Tornado

Zeriga Pendragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 pm
Bagel Tornado
⊹⊱⋛⋋♥⋌⋚⊰⊹

Because everyone has to be careful to not offend religious groups. stare

They're so sensitive to everything sometimes.

Least that's what I understand.

If you're not careful you'll have a giant group of churchies or something on your a**. @_@

Not saying they're ALL bad... But you know.

What I'm expecting here is The. Facts. Not some Church Stories that may, or may not be true. Solid Facts.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm
The American government is supposed to be completely separate from any religion at all. And technically, it is, because the churches are not directly involved. However, people still take their religious beliefs way too far in consideration of legal matters.

I want to say that Separation of Church and State is at least inspired by the actions of Henry VIII, and how he created the Church of England to essentially do whatever the hell he wanted. The church and the government became too intertwined there, and in many other countries, which led to the rights of the peopl being infringed upon.  

Deppfan

beaulolais

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:08 pm
in the Constitution, the government is not to do anything which would establish a religion.

people like Jefferson have written about a "wall of separation" between state and church, but that does not appear in the Constitution.

in Europe at the time of the American revolution, each country had its own established church. In Spain and France, it was Roman Catholic; in Sweden and Denmark, Lutheran; in Hungary and some counties in Germany and Switzerland, Reformed; and in England, Anglican.

one government, one church. if you did not like the church, you still had to pay a tax ("tithe") to support it. my great grandfather in Glasgow, a devout Presbyterian, refused to do this, and got himself jailed as a "disorderly person".

so our founders wanted America to be a place where government did not favor one belief over another. they never intended that it have nothing at all to do with matters of belief; even to those deists, such a thing was unheard of.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:11 am
their can be no real seperation of church and state in my beleif, your religion weither good or not will help dictate what you do. they will assist your motives, so even though you try you wont always be devided from your beleife its to intertwined into your being  

idiotic randomness

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:43 am
dreams into nights yami
their can be no real seperation of church and state in my beleif, your religion weither good or not will help dictate what you do. they will assist your motives, so even though you try you wont always be devided from your beleife its to intertwined into your being

That's not what Separation of Church and State means, though. It refers to the churches actually having an official say in matters of government.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 am
Deppfan Teague
dreams into nights yami

That's not what Separation of Church and State means, though. It refers to the churches actually having an official say in matters of government.
i realize but i am stating, that no matter what, peoples beleifes influence their actions, even in the minor way. right and wrong are dictated by those with power to state what is good or not, or what is culturaly accepted in the culture  

idiotic randomness

Truith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:39 pm
Though church can not become directly involved in government matters, Christianity wiill most likely always be attached to government. After all the Declaration of Independence talks about "God given rights". We can not deny that the very opinions we hold, including human equallity and the importance of human life, is deeply rooted in the Bible. That, and those who really follow there religions usually place those beliefs on the highest level of importance.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:51 pm
I believe that America was founded to be a place where which church you went to was not dictated by he King, freedom of religion. though at this time everyone went to church and it was not normal for anyone to not go to church at the time. However it is expected that what a person believes will affect how the government is going to play out though indirectly.

Many people may not like this but, religion gives a basis for the ethical decisions that are made, less so now that ever before sadly. So no matter how hard people try to get God out of government, they really don't want that completely because without God, there are no morals.  

Iam WhoIAm

Hilarious Humorist

21,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:03 pm
Heres a quote 'Take God out, and the government becomes the god'-G.K. Chesterton. But thats aside the question being posted.

It isn't, actually the government itself is going against Christianity more than anything else v.v. Not that its gotten to the point of 'grr Christians' but that its gotten to 'Throw away morality as we know it and make a new one'. Now if your wondering why church is getting involved, thats a different point entirely. Thats simply because, of certain things that are happening that shouldn't be. And if you think about it, it isn't the 'church' thats getting involved rather, those going to church, the people. Which is who are reps follow (believe or not but Congress and the President are only servants of the people, we are their boss). But again I digress, church isn't getting involved rather, people who go to church are. Which it is our job as citizens to voice our opinions. So there is nothing wrong about it.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games