Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
equality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who is most mistreated in todays society?
  black
  white
  native american
  jewish
  mexican/latino
  asian
  women
  men
View Results

Master Azrael Reaper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 pm
Alright, so of course everyone is all for equality amoungst races, genders, etc.
women as good as men, black equal to white. And I agree.... i am all for equality.
However, in modern days, it seems to me like our actions for equality are actually tipping in the opposite direction and causing prejudice against the white male.
for one thing, there are many scholarships and even full colleges that are just for certain races and colors, or just for women.
However, if someone were to do the same for "just men" or "just white", then suddenly it is called racist or sexist. But isnt that basically what the other scholarships were doing?
Also, these days we have native americans taking land and african americans taking money, as payment for misdeeds toward their ancestors.
Well sorry to tell you this, but aint no one alive today that has been a black slave or a mistreated native.
If you are so worried about it then why not leave the modern conveniences and live as those ancestors did before white involvement. I doubt most of you could survive.
I am not saying it wasnt bad, im just saying it wasnt on you, so why are you entitled to special treatment?

essentially, I am saying "equal rights are not special rights"

If we are going to have equality, let it be TRUE equality. No special treatment or entitlement to any race or gender.

Anyway, lets hear your thoughts......  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 am
I do think that societally, black and hispanic or latino people are the subject of a lot of prejudice. People I know say they are subject to a lot of judgement just in daily life, walking down the street or in the grocery store.

However, I think that the affirmative action system in college isn't helping, and I think that this is because it is racially based, rather than need-based. I think that anyone who grew up in an inner city neighborhood and has worked hard enough to be eligible for college should receive scholarship assistance just because of the hardships they have fought against in their lives, but not based on the color of their skin. There are many more minoroties in inner city school systems than whites anyway, so it should work out to their advantage anyway. I know a girl who family I would consider quite well off, who got into Harvard with a scholarship because she was half Puerto Rican. I'm not saying she didn't work hard, but she did not work as hard as many other people in my grade who did not get into Ivy League Schools. Furthermore, and more tragically in my opinion, she did not need that money. But with the tuition that colleges charge these days, many people do.  

tea and coffee

Garbage Duck

tea and coffee

Garbage Duck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am
Basically, I think that minorities do experience a lot of prejudice still, but we arn't solving it the right way. We simultaneously aren't helping them enough and are hurting white people.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 pm
I think that not one race in particular is discriminated against, but it's a cycle.

People will always have problems, and many people take it out on others. This can translate into racism, whether it is outright killing or the way you talk.  

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

skittlemaster42

Wealthy Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm
Racism will exist till the day we all look the same, have the same job, and say exactly the same things. Humans are jealous, its basically a survival instinct programmed in, with the "i want what he has" idea. Racism is just one race asserting their dominance over the other, only we take offense from it (we being the given race that is being discriminated).

I agree with Reaper, no special treatment or entitlement.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:02 pm
most of the scholarships have always been for white males, for years and years.

so having some for people who do not fit that description just begins to let others into the club, that's how it seems to me.

i also see a thing where maybe people get more jobs than they used to, as a group, but they can only go so far before there are no promotions available.

for instance, why do guys have most of the coaching jobs for women's basketball?

and in corporations you have women in middle management but hardly any CEOs.  

beaulolais

poseidons_daughter_cara

3,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 am
Racisim has been around and its not just seen in people, but animals as well. Its a natural thing that says "I hate things that are different from me"
I agree with you Reaper, true equality should not lead to the hatred towards other people.

You also have to look at another point with the women/men things, woman are not as physically strong (In general) as men so there are still some jobs that should be left to the men.
If someone is good at what they do, they shouldn't be replaced for the sake of the so called 'equality' otherwise say goodbye world.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 pm
honestly looking at the differences is only setting us back in development, we all are made of the same thing, meat, calcium ect. the only thing that really is different is our minds, and our skin tones and our basic shape that differs slightly from person to person.

honestly i get pissed when someone starts using race as a excuse for anything, as for getting special treatment for being a particular race screw that, the longer we have special treatment for a specific group of people then we will always have descrimination

the sooner we can look past our differences the sooner we can evolve and expand ourselfs as people  

idiotic randomness

dir3wolf

250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 pm
Master Azrael Reaper
Alright, so of course everyone is all for equality amoungst races, genders, etc.
women as good as men, black equal to white. And I agree.... i am all for equality.
However, in modern days, it seems to me like our actions for equality are actually tipping in the opposite direction and causing prejudice against the white male.
for one thing, there are many scholarships and even full colleges that are just for certain races and colors, or just for women.
However, if someone were to do the same for "just men" or "just white", then suddenly it is called racist or sexist. But isnt that basically what the other scholarships were doing?
Also, these days we have native americans taking land and african americans taking money, as payment for misdeeds toward their ancestors.
Well sorry to tell you this, but aint no one alive today that has been a black slave or a mistreated native.
If you are so worried about it then why not leave the modern conveniences and live as those ancestors did before white involvement. I doubt most of you could survive.
I am not saying it wasnt bad, im just saying it wasnt on you, so why are you entitled to special treatment?

essentially, I am saying "equal rights are not special rights"

If we are going to have equality, let it be TRUE equality. No special treatment or entitlement to any race or gender.

Anyway, lets hear your thoughts......

reaper, one thing I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but as to the native americans. have you been to an indean reservation? they are some of the poorest locations of our country. I understand what everyone is saying about getting over the past. but because of the settlers stealing the land and killing the natives. they do deserve some sort of hand out. I am myself part native american, but majorily white. so I am not asking for anything for myself, but for the rest of my people. they deserve it more than I do.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm
If I could I would have picked blacks, jews, homosexuals of BOTH genders, and women (any race, obviously). They end up being the butt of a lot of jokes, and people think it's ok, even good. some jokes are funny, but others...aren't even clever. i mean, who would i be if i can't laugh at myself, but willing laugh at others. with this whole serge in anime and manga, i know a lot of people want to be asian and have interest in their culture, so i personally don't see much discrimination there, although "asian" is a very broad term. hispanics have it pretty bad too, and it's a shame to the ones who enter the US legally. and let's not forget homophobia.

as for affirmative action, statistically it's been easier for the white male to "succeed". When they come up with this stuff, they take demographic info such as race and income, and then try to correlate the two. Hence, why we get scholarships for minorities. Statistics from census and others show that "minorities", or more often "african-americans and latinos" tend to have low incomes, and live in high urban areas, and thus are less likely to be able to attend the institution. It's also a way of sort of making amends and giving incentive for these people to hopefully go to college. Heck, it even makes the college look good. If you do not fit into any of those qualities, you can apply for any other scholarship, or financial aid, which is actually very helpful.

what sucks about the whole thing is even that is tugged by certain strings; the first question listed when applying for financial aid on my form was: how many people are currently living in your household. I'm an only child with parents who are ready to retire...where does that put me? Looks like i'll be taking out loans...

patriarchal society...wow, do we forget that women have desires too. i think there should be more women trying to run for higher office, and i certainly don't think she should be ridiculed for being female. feminists are ridiculed way too much as well. i personally am not one, however men AND women criticize them personally and not their proposed policies, when essentially, all a feminist is is a person who sees the misogyny and injustice in the world, and would like to hopefully change that. I think all women should be educated about "women's studies" and literature before college or even high school, b/c many women overlook it, and never learn that, wow, things have been pretty bad, and could be better. i'm planning on taking another course in that.

BTW, while i may not have been a slave, or any of my living relatives, segregation was still a big issue when even my parents were young. another flaw in your argument is that you're saying this "developed" modern lifestyle is so much better than tribal, or any other sort of contrasted living. while i agree in that i enjoy living in one of the wealthiest countries, i wouldn't say it' necessarily better for everyone, but different, seeing as we have many similar and different problems, such as acid rain and homeless, starving people. the problem was the first purpose of slaves were to serve "the white man", not indulge in the same modern conveniences and new world. they, along with progressive whites, had to fight for that. One girl didn't want to shake my hand b/c of my race. in fact she jerked back hastily and shrieked "ew, she's black".

i would love for equality and acceptance, but i imagine that will several decades, centuries even.  

Harlot Queen

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

9,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm
Equlaity is a difficult concept. Most things are devided by equity.

For years the white male got access to scholarships and education and all sorts of things. So to make it "equal" they have decided that a need for scholarships for other races, genders, cultures. to create a balance.

Equity also plays into Minority/Majority. Where there's more people there will be more things for them.

After a certain range in time "Special rights" shouldn't be a need because deviding need by equity should balance everything out. And hopefully we can on some level have equality for all.

But to make Equality work we would have to establish that all humans are the same, and there is no difference amoung them to make them standout or be pushed to the sidelines. We would have to terminate the idea of ethinicity, Religion would have to be either everyone believes in one or there is no idea of religion. It becomes to illogival to make everything equal.

So We need to devide everything by equity so we can play into the Majority/Minority campaign. But it to has some issues.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games