Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Physics, Determinism, Religion, and More

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eruresto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:22 pm
First, I want to know if there are enough people interested in this topic to even hold a discussion. This would concern interpretations of quantum mechanics such as the Copenhagen and many-worlds interpretations, and their possible implications regarding determinism and religion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm
Though I am most likely not intellegent enough to participate, and have no idea what most of what you said meant, I would love to read such a discussion and learn what I can from it. I've only heard minimal amounts of information involving quantum physics, and would enjoy knowing more about it.

DvnT

Eruresto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:54 am
I'd love to talk about that, too. My chosen topic is probably a bit too specialized anyways. xD I get carried away with my nerdity sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 pm
Thinking about it, I believe I actually know what the many-worlds theory is. Would I be correct in believing that is the one stating that we may just be inside of a black hole, and inside of every black hole there may be a whole other universe? Or is that something else? It sounds about right to me.
The Copenhagen idea though, I'm positive I've never heard before.

I get carried away with it as well, which is why people in real life tend to get fed up with me. They call me an idiot, and I just point out to them that if I'm in idiot they must be mentally handicdapped because I'm not only in harder classes and grades above their mental capacity, and we're the same age!
I also tend to get carried away with my words, so you can just skim if you want.

DvnT

Eruresto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 pm
That's kinda it. The one I was referring to states, essentially, that at each moment, every possible thing happens and each branches out into a separate universe.

Eh, people are just intolerant. Screw 'em. And long posts are no problem to me. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 pm
Oh, I understand. So it's like a tree graph or whatever you call them? You start off with one possibility, and it branches off into two, which each branch off into another two and so on and so on, and each possibility creates another universe?

Or am I just reading too far into it? Like I said, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm willing to learn and participate.

DvnT

Eruresto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 pm
Nope, that's exactly it. 3nodding Wikipedia has a decent article about it. For a basic overview, go here: Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games