Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm
I just took a tour of the house two friends and I will be renting for next school year, and it's even more amazing than I imagined! emotion_kirakira

There's this one really badass bedroom that I've already called dibs on, haha. It used to be an attached garage, but a past owner converted it into a bedroom, and it's got this little nook/cubby built into the wall for your bed. It's even got bookshelves built right into the walls, and it has this cool permanent countertop/desk/dresser type thing with chrome-plated drawers. Both of my friends told me that when they took the first tour (I wasn't with them that time), they took one look at each other and were instantly like "This is Kerry's room." lol

The house also has a huge living room, a basement with a shower and included washer and dryer (no fee to use them, which is rare in these rental properties), a soundproof room which is perfect for me to practice my viola in, a huge kitchen with a GAS STOVE and freaking DISHWASHER, three additional bedrooms upstairs, and two full bathrooms! Oh, and it has a wonderful porch on the outside, too.

EEEE, I'M EXCITED! And this gives me an excuse to shop at IKEA this summer! emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:27 pm
It sounds more like you guys are renting a mansion than a house. Holy crap that thing must be huge.  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:14 am
wolf_with_a_dragon
It sounds more like you guys are renting a mansion than a house. Holy crap that thing must be huge.

It's not quite a mansion, it's just an old house; old houses were built really big to accommodate the huge families of centuries past. Most of this city was built from 1800-1940, so there's a TON of these really big homes around the area. Unfortunately, it's also a pretty poor town, so not many people can afford to keep up on the repairs of these amazing historic homes. Our landlord takes really good care of his properties, though -- he owns two of the three legit mansions that are on the same road as our house, one is directly next door. That one is where he and his wife currently live until the construction is finished on the giant brick one down the street. It's a massive green Victorian style home with a wraparound porch and mini towers and gingerbread work on the eaves. 10 nursing students will be renting the green mansion when he transfers to the brick one. This is the brick one before the current repairs to the porch:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He also offered us an apartment that's actually up in the attic/third floor of this brick mansion, but it was kinda cramped and the stairs to get up there were godawful to try to navigate furniture up.

THIS is the house we'll be in:

User Image

Believe it or not, it's only $800/month + utilities, and utilities are pretty cheap up here. All that space for so little money, it's amazing.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Believe it or not, it's only $800/month + utilities, and utilities are pretty cheap up here. All that space for so little money, it's amazing.

It must be nice to not live in California.

All except for the not living in California part.

Eh, I'm chill with splitting $1750 a month for a studio with my roomie-with-benefits.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 am
Zphal
Hiddochi wolf

It must be nice to not live in California.

All except for the not living in California part.

Eh, I'm chill with splitting $1750 a month for a studio with my roomie-with-benefits.

HOLY BALLS. eek

The most expensive apartments around here are like $1400/month (utilities included), but that's just the one "exclusive" complex where the people who're actually well off around here live. Normal 2-bedroom apartments anywhere else are typically $750 + utilities. We lucked out that we were able to find a whole house for just $50 more than a cramped apartment.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am
Ohhhh! a sound proof room eh *wink wink* -cough- im a pig i know.

It looks amazing though! straight out of a haunted house horror movie twisted biggrin  

Shallow Carnage

Sparkly Loverboy

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 pm
Pretty! Just beware in case there do turn out to be ghosties. o:  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:38 am
I would love to have a sound proof room. When, or if I get a new computer and I'm actually making an attempt to make LP videos I'd could use something for that if I ever scream. XD So people don't think I'm being murdered.

Anyway that house looks pretty nice. It is surprising that it is more expensive that the houses for rent near here. But I think the houses for rent near me are only cheap because they are in Detroit. [Range of $300 or so not including utilities]

The wonderful thing about Detroit. The rent is cheap, but the setback is that it is Detroit. I don't actually live IN Detroit. I'm just close to it.  

Vikabro

Fashionable Cat

12,140 Points
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:02 pm
OMFG, that house is pretty! I definitely get a Victorian vibe from it. Enjoy!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:11 pm
Vikabro
I would love to have a sound proof room. When, or if I get a new computer and I'm actually making an attempt to make LP videos I'd could use something for that if I ever scream. XD So people don't think I'm being murdered.

Anyway that house looks pretty nice. It is surprising that it is more expensive that the houses for rent near here. But I think the houses for rent near me are only cheap because they are in Detroit. [Range of $300 or so not including utilities]

The wonderful thing about Detroit. The rent is cheap, but the setback is that it is Detroit. I don't actually live IN Detroit. I'm just close to it.

Yeah, location is key. Back at home downstate, I'm in a fairly young and well-off suburb about 45 minutes away from Detroit, and the cheapest rental properties there start at $1000+. Dad actually works IN Detroit, always has, but mom insists that we live a decent distance away because of the crime. And I can't blame her. I'm fairly security minded and street-savvy, but even I won't set foot in many of those Detroit neighborhoods. Up here I have no fear. I can walk downtown at 3AM if I want (not like I'm ever awake that late) and it's more likely that I'd be attacked by coyotes than a human being.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:32 am
rent for a 1 bedroom where I am is about 900 CAD, Though rent is going up cause cost of housing is going up.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:30 pm
Sounds like a nice set-up. biggrin  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

beaulolais

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm
it looks cool