Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!
So I find myself in an interesting Employment Situation...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you guys think?
  Beach Boardwalk!
  Dave & Busters!
  JUGGLE TWO FULL TIME JOBS (assuming both companies are chill with it)
View Results

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am
So recently (not quite a week ago) I went and interviewed at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for their Marketing and Sales Assistant position. Actually, it was the second interview, meeting with the Marketing Manager and Sales Manager. They said they had some additional candidates to interview and that they would be in contact come Friday (so a couple days from now yet).

Well I didn't wanna sit around and wait aimlessly, I figured it was better to keep poking around in the chance the Boardwalk turns me down for the job. So yesterday I interviewed at my local Dave & Busters, and they offered me a fulltime job for $14/hr as their Mascot character, on the spot. It sounds hella fun, so I accepted.

But now I wonder what I'll do if the Boardwalk DOES extend me the job offer as well. Surely it's where I have more experience (working at a theme park with roller coasters and the like) and where my interest lies Career-wise... I'd really like to climb the management ladder and become someone important in the Amusement/Entertainment Industry. This job would further familiarize me with more of the inner workings, give me additional knowledge of behind-the-scenes protocol, and bring me closer to eventually achieving that goal. Also, it'd probably look good on my resume for later.

But then, I've managed to get pretty pysched about the D&B job too, cuz I'll be the center of attention and guaranteed have a LOT of fun interacting with guests first-hand and making their experience memorable. I've done costumed positions before, which was why their team of hiring managers was so enthused and eager to extend me the position and at a damn good rate of pay too. And a sports bar/arcade does fall within the Amusement/Entertainment Industry, so it's not like it's "lost time" or anything on my part, but the responsibilities wouldn't be as demanding on me. The Boardwalk gig would be classified as "Seasonal" rather than "Full Time".

gonk gonk gonk

But maybe I'm just needlessly angsting. After all, Boardwalk might extend the offer to a more qualified individual, if there is one. I personally think I'd be an excellent fit for what they need. But if they don't then my decision to stick with D&B is a pretty obvious one. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 pm
I'm discussing this with you on FB xd  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 pm
Mama Ame

Which proves our point over in that other thread about how several of us Why Notians are connected via fb and not so much Gaia anymore. xd

But I'm hoping to maybe get some other Why Notians input, should they wander along, lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm
Zphal
Mama Ame

Which proves our point over in that other thread about how several of us Why Notians are connected via fb and not so much Gaia anymore. xd

But I'm hoping to maybe get some other Why Notians input, should they wander along, lol.

Yo, a** Monkeys come on!

scream  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:15 pm
Is there specific schedules with the jobs or is there flexibility with them that you could potentially have both jobs? Especially since the Boardwalk one is classified as a "Seasonal".

But then again, it depends on how much work load both jobs would have and whether you would feel up to balancing them. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm
Prof. Moonie
Is there specific schedules with the jobs or is there flexibility with them that you could potentially have both jobs? Especially since the Boardwalk one is classified as a "Seasonal".

But then again, it depends on how much work load both jobs would have and whether you would feel up to balancing them. *shrugs*

It's only "Seasonal" in that the position is in effect from February to October. Other than that, it's full-time-esque because it'd be 40+ hours a week. I'm hoping the hours for it will be specific though to give me wiggle room and keep the Mascot position too (but probably not for as many hours as they were hoping).

Buuut I'm still in the dark here as I have not yet received a call back from Boardwalk and it's two in the afternoon... confused  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 am
Zphal
Prof. Moonie

It's only "Seasonal" in that the position is in effect from February to October. Other than that, it's full-time-esque because it'd be 40+ hours a week. I'm hoping the hours for it will be specific though to give me wiggle room and keep the Mascot position too (but probably not for as many hours as they were hoping).

Buuut I'm still in the dark here as I have not yet received a call back from Boardwalk and it's two in the afternoon... confused

Ah, okay.

Well, hopefully works out for you, whatever happens.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 pm
Good luck with what ever you do.

If you do get both jobs, try and remember not to run yourself down.  

InuBishounen

Fashionable Survivor

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:30 pm
InuBishounen
Good luck with what ever you do.

If you do get both jobs, try and remember not to run yourself down.

I agree with this. Extra money coming is nice and building a resume is impressive... but always take into consideration of how you feel and what your desires are.

I've managed to balance multiple jobs, volunteer work, social life, and personal time fairly well for the past two years... but it's starting to take a toll. That's why I plan on taking control of my life again and balance each component of my life out again.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 pm
D&B job would be consistent, but, sounds like it's less like what you really want to do. If Boardwalk offers you the job, see if you can scale back the D&B job instead of full time. let it be a job you can work a lot during the off season and a bit during the on season. Or, just pick one if you're offered the Boardwalk position. Any of the three options sound like you'd be okay with them. But don't try to do both as full time jobs. You would end up ragged after a few weeks.

You don't want to work 80 hours.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas