Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Why are we incapable of leaving Theology to Theologians? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Yes, leave all religious talk to religious leaders/students/etc.
  No, people have a right to interpret things their way.
  Blah.
View Results

Megell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:09 pm
Bigfoot TI
Refering to Megell's post, above, I feel that my opinion is worth hearing. To start, what middle-shool student knows the ins and outs of the big bang theory? Anyone? Okay then. Tiny speck, quark-gluon plasma, blablabla. Now, if you look at the creation theory as a timeline, wothout dates, it makes a whole lot of sense next to the big bang theory as a timeline, again without dates. There are a number of hard-to-miss parallels in there. This makes me think that many of the parables, etc, in scripture, any scripture, are dumbed down science, so the laymen in the audience could understand, and who 8000 years ago might have understood stellar mechanics, and sub-atomic physics? Please comment.
I'm a little lost on your point Bigffoot, may I ask for some clerification. Some of your ideas are a tad confusing to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:40 pm
ChirpingGlory
I wholly agree with what Ever-Infamous Kojiro-san said. I'm no good with words and putting my thoughts INTO words, so I'll leave it at that to avoid making myself look dumber than I already have.

o.o

I'm...flattered. sweatdrop  

bfdhshsgvjggh

Damion Dracul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:20 am
Brand Name Sex
As of recent, I've found more and more people are taking a greater interest in either defending their religion or picking on various other religions. Now, I'm not saying it's wrong to have a religion, mind you, but I must say that so many people now a days are trying to interpret things and seem to be going about it the wrong way.

So you can quote the Bible, Koran, etc.? Does that make you smarter than everyone else? No, it doesn't. It just proves you're able to memorize things, that's all it proves. Granted some people do understand what it is these passages are trying to convey, but not a lot of people do and thus the go about their merry little way quoting passages they have NO right quoting.

Therefore, I say we should leave Theology to Theologians. So unless you're looking to BE in that field of study, why bother trying to translate something you know nothing about? Not everyone can KNOW everything, and trying to sound like you do makes you sound like a complete moron. It's a two sided coin my friends, and odds are you'll end up with the side that makes you seem like an imbecile.

Therefore, I have to ask the following.
Do you often find yourself quoting things?
Should we leave things to be interpreted by true scholars?
Religion:
People who act as if they know everything:
Etc:

What does picking on religions have to do with theology?
nothing.

Don't be naive,
you should be happy that people try to interpret things, because it means that the world doesn't consist of mindless drones, and tells you that people actually THINK for themselves.

where does it say they have no right quoting?

How do you know that the passages they quote, and what it means it says in their eyes isn't the correct interpretation?

All you are doing is shooting people down for trying to form theyre own actual beliefs it seems.

because attacking other religions has nothing to do with theology, and is completly out of topic.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:12 am
I honestly think religious discussion is one of the most exciting things to debate/talk about. It is one of the few topics that can continue on and on without coming to some common conclusion. We were discussing it in a chat room a few weeks ago, actually. People learn more about one another by discussing religion, God, beliefs, faith, so on and so forth. Imagine trying to talk about dogs for 2 hours. Now imagine talking about personal beliefs for 2 hours? Which one do you think will pass the time quicker? The one that you have more passion for.

So long as you aren't trying to force your beliefs on others and simply stating what you think, it can be just as entertaining as going to a concert.

How do you think theologists come up with ideas? They don't go around just studying each other. They go around and interact with people. Anyone can come up with a conclusion as to what the real truth about life after death is, but it could be any average person that discovers the real thing.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, it isn't discussing it that is annoying, it's the way that it is presented. ^_^

and by the way!

Brand Name Sex
I firmly belief the common man really shouldn't dabble in the affairs of politics and religion, especially considering how the majority of them don't understand what's going on. It may be bias, but why not leave matters in the capable hands of higher officials? No, it's not promoting democracy, but in all reality who actually feigns interest anymore in the world that surrounds them?

Nothing makes scholars an excpetion to my rule, I'm sorry if I phrased it incorrectly.

Are you implying that just because someone is a politician, that they are more inclined to know the truth than anyone else? Are we not all to be looked at as equals? Power means nothing to knowledge. "Higher officials," as you say, are not any more capable of understanding what truth and good reasoning is than anyone else in the entire world.

Would you honestly go and read an article if you're curious about something and just believe the guy who wrote it because he's a "higher official?" A pox on you then! Those are the "mindless drones" that Damion Dracul was referring to.  

Ginhana

Miss Gish

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:03 pm
Bigfoot TI
Refering to Megell's post, above, I feel that my opinion is worth hearing. To start, what middle-shool student knows the ins and outs of the big bang theory? Anyone? Okay then. Tiny speck, quark-gluon plasma, blablabla. Now, if you look at the creation theory as a timeline, wothout dates, it makes a whole lot of sense next to the big bang theory as a timeline, again without dates. There are a number of hard-to-miss parallels in there. This makes me think that many of the parables, etc, in scripture, any scripture, are dumbed down science, so the laymen in the audience could understand, and who 8000 years ago might have understood stellar mechanics, and sub-atomic physics? Please comment.

lol. You're saying that the idea of us just appearing on earth makes more sense than the big bang theory? Have you studied the big bang theory at all?

Don't get me wrong, I do respect what you have to say, but it sounds absolutely nuts to me...

And as for the topic, just let people interpret whatever they want. By quoting a passage from the bible and interpreting their view on it doesn't make them wrong at all. It's how they view it...not you...or I...or anyone else. Just let them be.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:14 pm
Do you often find yourself quoting things? No I don't even really read the bible
Should we leave things to be interpreted by true scholars? Not at all...that's the acolars veiws and what matters is yours
Religion: None

It's what your opinion that counts....if you understand the bible and your religioun...you have a right to talk about it...just because you arn't a scolar dosen't mean anything.  

Wolf Spirit62

torrinne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:53 am
Oh dear...

Most of my arguments have been covered already, but I want to just ask one question of the people saying that we should leave theology to the people who study it. Where do you think theologians/ministers/priests/whatever else come from? The stork? Magic poof and there you have a theologian, complete with steriotypical beard and bible? (And if you did think that, I'm sorry for ruining your life, but you're wrong.) No, they're regular people like us. At one point, they probably went aroung just like people today, arguing about religion, big bang, whatever, with no idea that they might become theologians. And perhaps those early arugements were what inspired them to follow their career paths. Before you condemn something, please in future explore the consequences of doing without it.

(Please note that the above "life of a theologian" is speculation, but it is entirely possible, and definately probable. Unlike the magic poof theory.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:55 pm
torrinne
Oh dear...

Most of my arguments have been covered already, but I want to just ask one question of the people saying that we should leave theology to the people who study it. Where do you think theologians/ministers/priests/whatever else come from? The stork? Magic poof and there you have a theologian, complete with steriotypical beard and bible? (And if you did think that, I'm sorry for ruining your life, but you're wrong.) No, they're regular people like us. At one point, they probably went aroung just like people today, arguing about religion, big bang, whatever, with no idea that they might become theologians. And perhaps those early arugements were what inspired them to follow their career paths. Before you condemn something, please in future explore the consequences of doing without it.

(Please note that the above "life of a theologian" is speculation, but it is entirely possible, and definately probable. Unlike the magic poof theory.)

I coulden't have said it better myself.

Besides, I ennjoy talking and spweculating with me freind about the stuff. Jus like everything they are usally just normal people. Who knows...I may become a debater in life because of all the debating I do. Saying to leave that to theologists , then you have to say the same about everything people do that there is a profesion about.  

Wolf Spirit62

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces