Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

this is a poll.
  click.
View Results

beautiful disaster 08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:54 pm
alright, well.
i grew up in a catholic family. i went through 8 years of catholic grade school. i was forced to go to church pretty much every sunday of my life up until a few years ago when my mom and i got really busy and didnt hav time to go. i am currently attending a non-catholic, non-religious high school.
so what is my problem you ask? well, if you couldnt tell from my heading...i am agnostic. i hav been since about 4th grade. im afraid to tell my family because i dont know what they will say. im afraid they wont believe me or they will get mad at me or something.
and in case you dont know...agnosticism is when you doubt the existance of a true God or gods. you are doubtful of religion, but you do believe that there is a higher power.
please give me some advice as to how i should tell my family about my beliefs.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 pm
it'll probably be a big issue being that you were raised in the church sort of..it'll be best if you not acknowledge it too much as it'll raise controversy in the household, I mean have you seen what kind of crucifixions (figuratively speaking) they've had over things about religions  

Bonekeeper E

beautiful disaster 08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 pm
Bonekeeper E
it'll probably be a big issue being that you were raised in the church sort of..it'll be best if you not acknowledge it too much as it'll raise controversy in the household, I mean have you seen what kind of crucifixions (figuratively speaking) they've had over things about religions

thanks for the advice.
yeah. like, my family has at least one crucifix in every house. and i even own one and its in my room on the bottom of my bookshelf along with my bible.
the other problem is my camp. its a christian camp, and they think i go partly because of the religion aspect when thats not true at all. i go because of the people and activities (the non-religious ones...which is 95% of them). and i dont know if they would let me go back if they knew.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:07 pm
I'm the same way ((christian school 9years of my life/church)). My parents will force me to accept the religon until I can move out.

I hope your parents will be very understanding towards you. I'd just avoid as much religous activity as possible. Perhaps keep your agnostic ways secretive till very close till you move out.  

Impish Desires

Chazzzzz

Tipsy Lunatic

8,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:17 am
I share your beliefs. and I've yet to reveal that to my family, really.

I just ignore them when they ask me to go to church with them and roll my eyes when they talk about God and stuff. They pretty much get the picture though.

So I guess the point is ... you don't really need to come out and "reveal" that you're agnostic ... you can just subtly hint at it and hopefully they will accept it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:06 pm
thanks for the advice.  

beautiful disaster 08

beautiful disaster 08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:26 pm
another issue that i thought of.
my father committed suicide when i was about 5 or 6 months old. my family kinda thinks that it was "God's" doing that we were able to get throught it. and that my mom was able to finish her junior and senior years of high school and attend nursing school so that she could hav an income for us.
i personally think that she was just a strong person and was able to work through the pain. not to mention she was 17 when she had me.
so, religion is big in my family. not everyone has the same religion, but they all believe in "God". so im super confused.
does anyone else hav any advice to offer?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:30 pm
People have different veiws on God that's basically the only differences in some of the religons  

Impish Desires

~ murderd in cold blood ~

2,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:42 pm
your parents should accept that you have different beliefs than they do  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash