Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Avatar Arena? Good Avatar or Popularity Contest?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:57 pm
I have to say that I'm impressed. Apparently last weeks avatar arena turned out to be a real mess. MPL's (Magical Poll Land) guild captain "Spoon" submitted an avatar that wasn't very good, and persuaded his members to vote 10's on his avatar, so that he could get the gold from a win.

Unfortunately, the scam worked, and Spoon's avatar won sixth place and got gold to boot. Shouldn't that gold go instead to someone who worked hard to create an avatar they found attractive and are proud of? Since when was the arena a simple popularity contest as to how many people you know?

Discuss:
Is it right to enter an avatar that is no good, and have an entire guild vote 10's just to get some gold?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:16 am
Well, duh, of course it's not right. But , technically, it's not against the rules, either. What we need is a rule that states that it is against the rules to ask your friends to vote a ten for you. This, however, wouldn't prevent others from posting a link to theirs in a guild and giving the other members a chance to vote whatever they please, as we do.

Still, even if they did that, it wouldnt be enforced. Face it: it's a lost battle.  

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:56 pm
It's too bad they can set up a system that weighs the votes of guild mates and friends less in the arenas.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 am
Pretty much, yeah.

If you have a good avatar, you get a good score.
If you're well known, you get a good score.
If you have a good avatar, and is well known, you will definitely be in the top 10.  

da grunT

Cute Girl

AngelSong0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:24 pm
But then again there are those people that go around spamming the forums and they somehow end up winning..... >.<  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:05 pm
I have voted for you both. Nice avis and good work! biggrin  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

predatorywasps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:15 pm
seems like alot of avis based on stuff like anime characters, actors/actresses, and stuff like that win  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 pm
I hated that avi. It was wrong of that person to cheat in the arena and get sixth plaace. ::back to topic:: If you have a good avi it is usually pretty expensive. 3nodding Tis just my opinion though.  

Rubytan

Invisible Poster

_neon_black_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43 pm
i dont really trust the arena
i mean, you look though the comments of an obviously sucky avi and thee's all these n00bs who are like 'zomg i love that top. 10/10'
the arena is just so unreliable
it's terrible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:02 pm
I don't think what that guy did was right. Someone who worked really hard on their avatar should have gotten his place.

Your Dad! xD

Shiama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:32 pm
If people give me al ink to vote I will most of the time go look, but i base my vote on what i think. i almost never give out a 10.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:03 pm
To win the arena you have to either have a. A popular costume that hasn't been used alot or in a while, b.in my experience, flashy costumes sometimes win and the best reason to win but hardest c. a VERY original will probably always get you in at least the top 10, to my opinion and experience.  

gamer014

zeropheonix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:33 am
I personally don't like they way that the arena runs. I don't think what he did is right, but I don't think that there is a way to stop it either.
But here's why I don't like the arena.
When the avatar arena was first put out there, I thought it would be really cool, because I thought it might give the poor people a chance to get some gold, but it's near imposible for them to win because all the rich people can afford all the really cool items that poeple will vote for, so the rich get richer and the poor stay poor.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games