Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
Harry Potter<3 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favourite Character
  Harry Potter
  Hermione Granger
  Ron Weasley
  Weasley Twins
  Draco Malfoy
View Results

locke317

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:26 pm
I have to say that I have really started to dislike the series. The books went downhill after the fourth book, in my opinion. The writing style did get more descriptive, but there was really no action in that book, or any action that there was didn't take up much room. The fifth book I had to force my way though because it was just boring. The sixth was a bit more interesting, but I still don't think that it was as good as the first four.

Also, it seems like she has drastically decreased her audience over time. The reasons I think that are because the books have gotten longer. Hence, adults will be less likely to take the time to read them and gain no useful knowledge. And also, the books now are too hard for younger children to read. I think that she pretty much only has teens left as a target audience now.

The only reason that I will be getting the seventh book is because I want to have the series finished. I am actually kinda hoping that all of the main characters die, but I doubt that she would do that. I don't plan on getting the book on opening day. It seems rather pointless.

Anyway, that is my pseudo-rant.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:27 pm
I absolutly love Harry Potter. And all things related. There is a hilarious thing on youtube called 'Harry Potter Wand Wars (Ext)' It goes through a bunch of movies and puts harry potter pictures in place of them, my person favorite is "Snape's On a Plane" as to the original "Snakes On a Plane"

But in the books my favorite character was, has, and always will be, well since he was introduced, Sirius Black, and it nearly killed me when he died!!! I've seen the new 5th movie three times- I cried each time I read it, and I've cried each time I see it.

I AM A PROUD HARRY POTTER FREAK  

Ayllin

Ayllin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:32 pm
locke317
I have to say that I have really started to dislike the series. The books went downhill after the fourth book, in my opinion. The writing style did get more descriptive, but there was really no action in that book, or any action that there was didn't take up much room. The fifth book I had to force my way though because it was just boring. The sixth was a bit more interesting, but I still don't think that it was as good as the first four.

Also, it seems like she has drastically decreased her audience over time. The reasons I think that are because the books have gotten longer. Hence, adults will be less likely to take the time to read them and gain no useful knowledge. And also, the books now are too hard for younger children to read. I think that she pretty much only has teens left as a target audience now.

The only reason that I will be getting the seventh book is because I want to have the series finished. I am actually kinda hoping that all of the main characters die, but I doubt that she would do that. I don't plan on getting the book on opening day. It seems rather pointless.

I have the same view as you, although I do not dislike them any less for that. It did take me awhile to get through the 5th.. from when it came out in June to October.. but I was busy that summer... It doesn't really bother me that she's writing for teens.. considering I am one, but I do wish that they had a bit less detail and got on with the plot more. It's in extreme detail, the books have deffinatly taken on a more mature essence to them. But if you think about it, Harry is getting older, therefor, the books should be a bit more mature.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 pm
Ayllin
locke317

I have the same view as you, although I do not dislike them any less for that. It did take me awhile to get through the 5th.. from when it came out in June to October.. but I was busy that summer... It doesn't really bother me that she's writing for teens.. considering I am one, but I do wish that they had a bit less detail and got on with the plot more. It's in extreme detail, the books have deffinatly taken on a more mature essence to them. But if you think about it, Harry is getting older, therefor, the books should be a bit more mature.

I don't mind as much that she is now writing for teens, but the thing that bothers me is that her writing style changes. I would not mind all of the detail in the least if that was how all of the books were, and then that would be why I was reading them. However, if I want to read detail, I would rather go to a more mature series and read that. I read Harry Potter because I liked how it was a lighter-hearted series that was easy to get into and did not take a lot of time to read. I don't really like that she has changed that.  

locke317

General Lea

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:54 pm
You're not alone in liking the series, and I got the seventh book more to find what happens to him. Perhaps the Harry Potter world doesn't interest me near as much as whne I was younger, but that's ok. I'll stick around to see the movies be finished too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:37 pm
I love the series, period. Although too many people die...

I just about cried when Fred died! And Tonks and Lupin, too... and they just had their son.  

Parisian Loafer

Toxic Pink Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:38 pm
I read book 7 in three days. eek

I hated the ending of the book and R.A.B was too obvious. Along with the fact that the Lupins and Fred would die. Too bad Snape was killed off too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 pm
Hermoine and the twins, from the list. I like Sirius too!

And Puppet Pals are so cool! The comic (what I could see) looked very funny. biggrin  

KatyaChekov

Nine-tailed Trickster

28,825 Points
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Team Player 50
  • WilyTrickster 50

KatyaChekov

Nine-tailed Trickster

28,825 Points
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Team Player 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:01 pm
Book 7 took me five hours to read. I stayed up wayyyyyyyy too late, lol. I could barely put it down. Some of it was a little disappointing, though...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 pm
User Image  

Nameless Spector

Dangerous Strawberry

Jshin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:33 pm
KatyaChekov
Book 7 took me five hours to read. I stayed up wayyyyyyyy too late, lol. I could barely put it down. Some of it was a little disappointing, though...

Had you beat! Took me four and a half.

locke317

Almost entirely agree with you. Except the sixth book bored me more than the fifth.

The splat-fest in the seventh book raised a few eyebrows. Most of the deaths in it felt incredibly forced. She writes poor death scenes.  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games