Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
i'm desperate to lose weight but have no motivation -help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

le-half-blood-princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 pm
i had a post called 'fat' up here almost two months ago where i talked about how i was desperate to lose weight because i'm overweight. i received a lot of support and advice from people and the first week of my diet went great, i lost almost 4 pounds. since then i've fallen off the wagon and gone back to my old habits and gained all the weight back. i was at irish college recently and lost weight naturally, but ever since i got back 2 days ago i've started eating and eating again and i know i'm going to gain all the weight back. i want to be slim so i feel better about my appearance and self esteem, but also because of my health concerns. please help me, i can't motivate myself or gather any willpower to reach my goals and i need advice. i don't know how to start and stay motivated. i know it won't be easy, but i'm desperate. i'm unhappy with myself and my excess fat so help me please.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:03 am
:sigh: Weight is such a troublesome thing. >.>

Well, if motivation is what you need, going on a diet can be easier if you can get someone to do it with you. Going to the gym and doing cardio is definately a good idea, but getting there is always hard. Again, if you could have someone motivate you and get you there to work out with you, that would be good. I find once you get there, you have nothing else to do BUT work out. ^^

Um, meditation might be a good idea as well. Look up some sites on how its done, and do the ones that have you learn to love and accept yourself. When faced with any problem later in the day, call upon the strength you felt during meditation and try to take control of your life. I've only tried doing this starting yesterday after reading it in CosmoGIRL, but I imagine it works. I tried, but couldn't find it online, so I just typed it all out for you. ^^

Quote:
HAVE YOUR BEST YEAR YET! by Joanne Malino
If you discovered that there was a way to spend only 10 minutes a day doing something that could make you smarter, happier, and less stressed, you'd do it, wouldn't you? Well, here's an inside tip. Start meditating!

It's the start of school and you're ready to rock. But the more you focus on your endless, alpha-girl to-do list (honor roll, hot bf, varsity b-ball, after-school job), the more over-whelmed you feel. You know your goals are reachable, but the "hows" and the "whens" are questions you don't even want to think about answering. That's where meditation comes in. It's a simple practice that helps you feel emotionally centered so you can keep your eyes on the prize. Forget everything that you've heard about it - medidation is not about being "deep" or about just saying "om" over and over. It is about finding your inner power and keeping it at your immediate reach. When you meditate, you find a personal freedom from anxiety. Before you know it, life becomes less stressful because you become more grounded. You begin to organize your thoughts and mentally relax so that your mile-long to-do list become mission possible!

TUNE IN
Most of us are in the habit of being totally plugged in to everyone all the time. We're either on the phone, screaming down the hallway, or replying to an e-mail. But by taking a few minutes to yourself each day before you start communicating with others, you can immerse yourself in positive energy and prepare for whatever the day will bring. First, find a place to sit quietly for 10 minutes with nobody bugging you (your bedroom the bathroom, or wherever you can get relaxed). Simply turn off everything - your TV, cell, the audio alert on your IM, etc. Set your alarm to ring in 10 minutes so you won't have to keep checking the clock. Sit down on your bed, on the floor, or in a chair, and keep your back as straight as you can. Then closer your eyes and mouth and breathe normally through your nose, but pay close attention to your breath and notice how it feels going in an out of your nostrils.

MIND YOURSELF
At first you may find that your mind is wandering all over the place! What should I eat, pancakes or eggs? Who was that cute guy in gym class? This is normal! The human mind is full of thoughts, so it takes practice to slow down the chatter. Part of meditating is learning not to judge yourself, so start by accepting whatever pops into your mind and try not to dwell on it. And if you can't help but focus on it, still be easy on yourself. Tell yourself, "It's just a thought and I accept it." Then let it go and bring your awareness back to your breath. It can help to have a mantra, a simple word to repeat in your mind to help you stay focused. Try the word "one" or "yes" or even "breathing." Don't be surprised if on some days you lose all track of time while meditating, yet on other days you sit there the whole time wondering, How much longer? Either way, once you make meditation a habit, you'll discover that when you're finished, you always feel more connected to you.

ENJOY THE EFFECTS
The effects of meditating last way longer than the 10 minutes you're sitting still. You'll see that self-doubt is lessened because when you practice paying attention to just one thing that's happening in the moment, like your breath, you start to get better at noticing exactly what you're feeling as you're feeling it - not days later. So there will be fewer instances of Ugh, I just thought of the perfect thing to say or Why didn't I just tell him? And when upsetting stuff happens, like finding out your first choice school wait-listed you, you'll be able to take a few deep breaths and realize you're the same secure person inside, no matter what's going on around you. Of all the things you can do to make your school year better, meditation is one thing that will feel like a lifesaver for every situation!

P.S. Meditating really can make you smarter! Scientists who have studied the effects of meditating say that it actually makes the gray matter in the right hemisphere of your brain - the area that helps you pay attention - thicker. So once you get the hang of it, you may actually end up studying less but remembering more!

To get your mind off food, try to stay busy. Do other things that you tend to get absorbed in and try not to munch on snacks like chips. If you get hungry, 'free-foods' like carrots or cucumbers are okay. Try to be somewhere, though, where you wont be tempted by food. If you are offered something that might ruin your diet, just say 'No thanks' before you even have to think about it.

If your looking for diet pills, I've tried one called the H57 Hoodia (http://www.myh57.com/) that surpresses appitite that has worked pretty well for me. I haven't used it diligently enough to record any process, but have noticed a decrease in hunger during the days that I do take some.

In addition, you might already know this, but always eat breakfast! It starts up your metabolism in the morning, and if you are one of those people that don't like to, train your body to. Eat a little at first and gradually increase to a larger-sized breakfast. Your body will get used to it and accept eating in the morning.

Lastly, drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day (4 regular-sized water bottles)! Granted, you'll be peeing like no tomorrow, but it works. This, along with about a 1200 calorie diet, I lost almost 5 pounds in one week. ^^ Sure this only happened once, but it was pretty cool.

If you're really desperate, then dieting shouldn't be a problem. Just keep reminding yourself what you want to work toward, and what life will be like when you reach your goal. I hope all this helps, and I wish you good luck on your quest toward a healthy body. <3

So, here's a summary of my ideas:
*Get a diet partner
*Go to the gym
*Meditate
*Don't munch
*Diet Pills?
*Eat breakfast
*Drink water!
-Good luck-

Blank of Tantalus

hahahaha538

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am
ok, im the opposite of what your going through. Im too skiny, im like 70 pounds and im in 8th grade.........i can eat a whole pizza if i wanted to and not even gain a pound. But, i can help u out. The best thing u can do, IS TO NOT EAT THAT FREKIN DIET FOOD! IT WILL MAKE U CRAVE BETTER FOOD MORE!!!!! TRUST ME!!! Just eat regular food, less...and excersise. and you should TRY diet pills, but if u see any weight being gained you might want to stop taking them because they can also make u gain weight, it happened to my gradma. My uncle is way WAY overweight and what he does is just drink tons of diet coke. thats all he drinks....except tea....thats it. he eats regularly and hes lossing tons of stomach off of him.

Heres ur choices:
1. Feel good about yourself, your "fat" so what! you should feel good about urself no matter what u look like. Even if people do make fun of you, you shouldnt care what people think or say. Just dont let it get to you, live your life to the fullest and be happy. Maybe your self asteem can help you loose your weight.

2. Drink alot of diet drinks or tea/fruit juice, and eat regularly. If you drink alot, you will digest alot of your weight off, if you excersise.

3. You should TRY diet pills but if they make u gain weight, stop using them.

4. You can try to eat diet foods, it can and will make u loose weight, but, thers always that whole "its nasty" thing. none of the food is really good, and it makes people want tastier fater foods. You can always go with diet foods, but its gonna kill you when your wanting that triple chocolate cake.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 pm
Liquids!
Drink a large cup of water or pure fruit juice before eating or two table spoons of vinegar.
Or both!

Vinegar cuts cravings by /a lot/.
So much it's crazy!
^^

There's diet tea too.
It make you 'clean the system' but don't take it on a school/work day.
xD
Vitamin C pill too.
But it's more normal paced.
:3

Try joining a sport or an activity that gets the juices flowing.
You can lose weight and clean at the same time.
xD

Also, don't eat things like crackers and stuff.
Those don't make you lose weight.
Eat something like a homemade sandwich.
x3
Healthy Eating helps way much~

For the gym, make sure you're not building too much muscle.
Muscle weighs alot.

Good luck with this~
^^
I'm rooting for you.

zynii

Seferius Slyferin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:14 pm
I was overweight for most of my life, now I still need to lose a bit, but I turned most of it to muscle.

The problem for me was motivation aswell, but I ate because of stress and because of boredem.

So here's what I did.

I cut down how much I ate, and stopped eating lots of sugar and flour (That was hard!) then whenever I felt hungry I would drink a cup of water or two and see how I felt after that, usually I wasn't hungry after. Then what I did was I found other ways to relive stress, for me it was my action video games, I'd sit there pretending that every person who causes my life stress was one of the enemies and I would shoot the s**t out of them..works great in a twisted phycotic way.. Anyways, after that I went to lifting weights etc. and now I've lost twenty pounds.

So, try that if all else fails. (P.S I'm still trying to get down more)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:57 pm
Chug a glass or two of water right before dinner, and it'll help you with not wanting a large portion. Have three glasses if it helps.  

Hawk_McKrakken

x Aluminia Wings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:29 pm
My weight-loss idea was DDR, lol.

But it actually does work XD I don't know if you like DDR or not, but that's not my point.

Do something you like, that's also active and helps in weight loss, like a sport, dancing, or even shopping. You don't really need a strong motivation on losing weight, like making a full day plan on your excercise times and such (unless if one is in a dire situation--as in morbidly obese. But that's a whole other story.).

If you want, sign up at one of those fitness-place-things (like the Pavillion, to those who know what I'm talking about) and go with a friend, or plan a few shopping trips, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:33 am
All I can say is don't eat late at night. That was the number weight gain for me. I wouldn't be hungry at lunch, dinner, or breakfast, but I'd go late at night and dig in my fridge.

Also try to keep from eating junk food. I stopped buying them so I can't eat them.

When trying to eat less food, don't stop all of a sudden. Gradually stop or you might go into so freaky food craving thing. I think I went through that.

Also, never try fad diets like the ones of tv. They don't work and can cause depression. And never starve yourself. I fainted when I did that...in a mall.

So that's my advice.

toyDUCKs

Tipsy Reveler

Duchessa

2,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 pm
This depends on yourself. If you are desperate you wouldn't be here siting on your butt and typing and whining for help, you would be excercising or getting some rest!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:41 pm

You could buy an outfit in your dream size--okay, maybe not complete dream size, but realistic. Maybe a size or two down to start, and maybe if you want to be smaller, you can do so.

An outfit you wish you could wear, it's just you think you wouldn't look beautiful in now. Hang it on the wall in your bedroom to remind you everytime you thing about eating popcorn while your typing here on the computer.

CutesieBubbles

brettyboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:17 pm
I want to lose weight too, I'm almost 300 lbs I know what you're thinking, but average weight for me is probably 250 I'm 6 ft 4 and still growing, I just turned 15... I was reading this, and I put away my chips, good thing, I need motivaation, I'm almost albino cause I'm inside so much, I can't miss my shows, I don't like sports (except football but my school doesn't have a team) and I'm on the computer and playing games 24/7/365 so... yeah I jhad a gym membership at the school, but I didn't do it that often, because I finally got some friends and would hang out with them, turns out one of them will be gone 3 times a week to work out at the gym... because he is one of the supervisors now, I told him I'd come with him, I am going to go with him 3 times a week, get stronger, get less weight, last time I started this, I was feeling great, I even felt like I didn't WANT the chips, it didn't last long though... so... once I get going, I'm confident I'll keep going, I was always eating out of boredom, but I guess I have to keep away from the junk food, my mom is testing diets she wants to put me on, but I can't stuick to them, she and my sister were doing this one... and my mom lost so much weight... she's down to a 10 she used to be 16... pants that is, but I'll jeep you informed on how it's going, if I have support I'm sure I'll be more motivated to keep my goals, so please, send me pms etc. I'd be glad to talk to you and discuss life problems... perhaps if I lose enough I could ask out Rose heart _ heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 pm
Don't take diet pills. Anything that is loaded with caffeine or that could be bought over the counter for such things is bad for your health and your heart, even if they claim to be herbal. My father's best friend died from a massive heart-attack due to taking those things.

Try to see your doctor and/or get a nutritionist to help you. Also, simple this like walking are good ways to exercise, whether you want to loose weight or just keep your body and muscles in check.  

PastelFlame

Shruikan-Unleashed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm
I'm in need of wait loss too though what i've read so far just might help especially cutting down on sugars and drinking watter and working out thanks to all and I hope you lose that wait like I hope to
Love,
Shruikan  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:00 am
i know exactly how you feel im not overweight but i think i could loose weight (5 pounds no big deal).ok i watch talk shows all the time.i was watching the Tyra Banks Show and it was about people who are overweight.things you can do to help in that situation is that when you eat you can split your meals in half.that reduces your calorie intake.i read a lot about this type of stuff.this one is simple in the mornings you can take a 30 min fast walk (not a stroll through the park)if you want it to work it has to be somewhat fast.eat fruit and vegtables more.don't drink soda.i learned that you can gain up to a pound a month by drinking one can of soda a day.when you go out to eat you really need to cut your meals in half (or else seriouse calorie intake).oh i forgot if you choose to go on the 30 min. fast walk you can expect to loose a pound a week.i you still need more advice about your diet plan message me and i'll give you answers.  

lady-loveable

lady-loveable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 pm
ok someone here said to drink diet soda.thats a big no-no diet soda makes you crave food.and you should stay away from greasy and deep freid foods.and about being able to drink juice if you want to be slim just drink water its good for you and fills you up.stay away from white bread change to wheat (isnt that cheaper anyway).if you really want to loose weight i would recommend the jenny (i cant spell her last name its like craig)diet it makes yoyu loose lots of wieght but the thing is my friend treid it and if you get off it you gain it all back.i think relecore would work or nv.before you eat drink a cup of water like i said it fills you up a little so you eat less.dont eat untill you get full thats not a good thing once your hunger has stopped you can stop.what some people do is that they tell themselves that there going to finish there pizza or whatever and they do.you dont have to tell yourself to eat all of the food on your plate.to loose weight you dont have to go to the gym bye all these diet pills because that money will add up fast you can loose weight at home or on your walks like i told you before.one more thing i can think of is try not to go shopping if you are expecting to loose weight because i have a lot of cloths that are to big now because i lost weight just keep that in mind.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games