No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Religion and marriage problem......?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is love something that's eternal, no matter what different religions the lovers are?
  Of course.
  No!!! They MUST be the same religion!!!!11 (p.s. I got a stick shoved up my...)
View Results

Hawk_McKrakken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:17 pm
Okay. My girlfriend Amber and I are pretty seriously in love. We know for a fact that we want to marry one another. What could possibly be wrong with this?

Well, she's a mormon and I'm a protestant. Granted, she ain't the most innocent little mormon girl out there, and I believe she respects my protestant freedoms and such. But my long-time friend, Jaron, is... well, let's just say I've never known a more pious person. And he had something he wanted talk to me about all day yesterday but didn't spill it until we talked on the phone today.

He interrogated me on whether or not if, when married to Amber, would I stay with her always? I answered yes, and then he asked: "Well, even after death?" That confused me, but I told him that if there was an afterlife, I couldn't see how I'd ditch my eternal lover for some better-looking spirit.

And there it came. He started explaining to me how that with the book of mormon, I could find out how to stay with her forever, even in death. stressed

I told him right then and there, that I'd look into it, but by no means would I abandon my protestant freedom to become a strict, tight-a** mormon.

But that just makes me wonder if the rest of the mormon community would keep their eyes on us or some gay crap like that. Will they keep trying to convert me? I dunno what the hell to do. This is a rather awkward situation.. I mean, this guy and I have been friends for ten years, and he's never tried to blatantly convert me before. How do I stand my ground as a protestant?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:56 am
you should stand your ground with your own religion and not try and force people into converting you. you and your girlfriend are in love, and that's what matters. i always think its so sad when religion causes so much trouble, it's supposed ot be about loving god. i say that you keep your religious life and love life seperate, and just carry on as you've always done with your girlfriend  

le-half-blood-princess

Seferius Slyferin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:42 am
Well, according to the religion that I rarely practice, your both going to hell, or atleast I belive so...

Anyways, I have a few morman friends, and they're parents don't like me to come over because I bring like some sort of filth with me, they're a pretty fanatic bunch. They probably will try to convert you, and probably wont stop, but if you love her, then it shouldn't matter. Why not just fight they're beleifs, challange them.

That could also be bad though, you might be shun from the family and take your girlfriend with you..

Good Luck is all I can say...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:31 am
religion does not matter. lets put it this way when my husband and i got married he was morman(im wiccian) weve benn married for 3 yrs his family has tried to convert me for like 4 yrs now, they will keep doing it theres nothing you can do about it (other than telling them to ******** of or inviting them in for a beer and a smoke) (btw no offense to mormans i just dont belive in ur religion)(im not going to the "outer darkness" i dont belive in it) ok back to the subjectnothing should stand in the way of love just stick it out  

tinkys85

frodo_baggins05

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 pm
Yeah, they will try to convert you. I can almost promise it. But you sound like you have faith in what you believe in, so stand firm. Don't be rude or obnoxious, but don't give up what you know is right.

I'm a Protestant myself, and my boyfriend is agnostic, which makes things...interesting. But I love him more than life itself and just because we don't agree on this thing (as important as it is), doesn't mean I'm going to give him up.

Don't let them pressure you into anything. I mean, if you figure out that maybe the Mormons are right after all, all the better for you and Amber. But otherwise, know that your Lord is with you and He'll be by your side through everything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:13 pm
Seferius Slyferin
Well, according to the religion that I rarely practice, your both going to hell, or atleast I belive so...

No offense, but just what cockamaimy nonsense religion do you practice, then? I'm sure whatever it is, my religion's God would send you to hell for it, but I don't wave it in your face, do I? It can be safely said that your religion teaches you to be rude, that's for sure. 3nodding Good day.

For the rest of you who gave helpful comments, you have my heartfelt thanks.  

Hawk_McKrakken

Lunar-moonshine

6,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:30 pm
I'm a Catholic, (a though i'm probably the most open minded Catholic you will ever meet) my personal belief is that we are all worship the same God, but though our own faults we came to develop different ways of accnologing him, and worshiping him, so what religion you are makes no difference, as long as that is what you are is what you believe, so it is not an issue to me, others may scorn you but as long as you know in your heart that you love her and you have agreed on the matter than than nothing else should bother you...but that is just my opinion ^^ good luck  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:57 am
Ok I'm married and I'm catholic, But my husband is Protastant. We kept both our religions and decided that we dont need to choose one or the other. Of course we can't get married in a church because we're both different religions, so we got married in front of a judge. biggrin so see you dont always have to choose if you dont want. I dont think its a problem. Me and my husband are happily in love and dont care what religion we are. biggrin  

aveura

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:26 pm
not that i think that it's right, but i'm seeing this cycle (because it happens a lot here). i'm sure you heard that mormons believe that if you marry in the temple, that bond goes beyond death into heaven. i'm sure it's something your girlfriend's been hearing for years (and you get a lot of crap for it if you don't. when me and my husband got married (we're both mormons, but since most of my family couldn't witness a temple ceremony, i wanted it out of the temple. he really didn't want a temple ceremony so it worked out there, but we're recieving slack for it. we got a picture of the temple in salt lake as a wedding present, and it's almost like 'hint hint', and it's almost like not doing so makes us bad people. maybe we are because we didn't wait before losing our virginities), and they make a big deal about it, and you also kind of get scrutinized by the community if you wed outside your religion. like it shouldn't matter to people, but they care anyway.
anyway man, good luck and hope it all works out.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games