Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "WNN" Why Not News
How do we deal with nudists in Vermont? We wait fot winter.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

. . .
  Nude!
  Not nude!
View Results

Mr. If

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:33 am
Quote:
Vt. town to let nature deal with nudity

September 6, 2006 (BRATTLEBORO, Vt.) - Mother Nature, not an ordinance, will draw the covers over public nudity in Brattleboro.

The town's Select Board decided Tuesday to take no action on an anti-nudity ordinance that was introduced in response to a clothing-optional movement launched by local teenagers this summer.

"Winter is coming. If spring comes and we still have a problem, we'll take another look at it," said Select Board Chairman Steve Steidle.

Vermont has no state law against public nudity, though at least eight communities have banned it locally.

Brattleboro, however, has long had a live-and-let-live culture. Its 12,000 residents have seen clothing-optional swimming holes, streakers, and even an event known as "Breast Fest," with women parading topless.

But the public nature of the latest movement naked teens smack in the heart of downtown raised eyebrows.

The stripping apparently started in early summer when a young woman sat naked on a park bench, said Police Chief John Martin. Then another woman took her shirt off downtown, a music festival inspired nude hula hoopers in a downtown parking lot, and in August a half dozen young people bared their bodies in a parking lot encircled by the backs of bookstores, coffee shops and restaurants.

One of the nudists, 19-year-old Adhi Palar, told the town board the issue was freedom.

"Our acting in nudity is an act of celebration of this history and traditional values as a place where you're allowed to be nude," he said. "I find that important, and I find that proud."

Not everyone agreed.

"I just think it's anarchy, because they won," said resident Theresa Toney, whose complaint about the public nudity prompted the debate. "It's inappropriate behavior for downtown. It has nothing to do with the weather. There's good behavior and there's bad behavior and that's bad behavior."

Town Manager Jerry Remillard said the town's image was tarnished by the uproar.

"We have been the brunt of phone calls from all over the world," Remillard said. "The media made this into nothing less than a circus."

- The Associated Press

The Link!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:42 am
i guess i found a new vacation spot...  

crazydude444292

zentlair

Vice Captain

Dedicated Gaian

10,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:20 pm
lol  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:14 am
Oh my gosshhhh. It is hilariouse!  

Wiedziemka

Impish Desires

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:54 am
A quick 2 cents

-If it's not illegal... I see no reason it should be overly worried about...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:00 am
The town of Brattleboro made it illegal in thier community when they passed the ordinance banning public nudity.  

Mr. If

dying dreams poet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:53 am
why should we care? It's their life, and if they want to run around like animals let them  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:25 pm
Tarrien
A quick 2 cents

-If it's not illegal... I see no reason it should be overly worried about...

hec yes. i totally agree.  

bananaseatworms

Savrah

Greedy Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:01 am
Haha. That's brilliant. Some people just labeled it "bad behavior", so therefore it's evil!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 pm
crazydude444292
i guess i found a new vacation spot...

xd  

Sprockette

"WNN" Why Not News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items