another NY plane crash anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Not Importante

Noble Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:25 pm
I dont know if anyones said it, but theres been another plane crash in New York. I still dont know anything about it seeing as I found out as I was walking back from gym.

Are they counting it as a terrorist attack or no?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 pm
NY plane crash does not appear linked to terrorism
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. official said on Wednesday the aircraft that crashed into a building in New York City did not appear to be linked to terrorism.

"I have no reason to believe at this point that the crash in New York city is terrorism related," said a U.S. official who declined to be identified.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it was unclear whether the aircraft was a plane or a helicopter.
news story from about one hour ago . . .  

Strideo
Crew

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:33 pm
Quote:
Plane Hits N.Y. Apartment Building
Crash Leaves 2 Dead

(CBS) NEW YORK A small plane crashed into a high-rise Wednesday afternoon in New York City, raining down debris on Manhattan and unleashing what witnesses reported was a gigantic fireball, police said.

The aircraft was a small plane, according to reports from CBS affiliate WCBS-TV in New York. Two deaths have been reported.

FBI officials say indications suggest the crash was an accident, not a terrorist attack, according to WCBS.

The aircraft struck the 40th and 41st floors of the Belaire apartment building on East 72nd Street, said Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows.

CBS News reports the aircraft is a fixed-wing aircraft, not a helicopter. The time recorded for the crash was 2:45 p.m.

The aircraft was not required to be in contact because it was flying under VFR (visual flight rules), reports CBS News.

The Federal Aviation Administration only confirms that a "small plane" crashed into a 22-story apartment building on East 72nd Street. They have not confirmed reports that it was a helicopter, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Orr. The crash site is near a heliport.

A federal official tells CBS News that fighter jets have been scrambled to protect New York and Boston airspace.

Gordon McMahon, who lives in a nearby apartment building, witnessed the accident and said he heard a strange sound just before the impact.

"The sound before the impact - really we hear a lot of choppers around here - and the sound did not have the normal sound of a chopper," said McMahon. "It sounded more like a firework, as if it's going up into the air.

"Before the impact, it was sort of a buzzing sound," he said. "I was reading something, and then heard that sound and then the impact and then saw the fireball."

"There's huge pieces of debris falling," said one witness who refused to give her full name. "There's so much falling now, I've got to get away."

The North American Aerospace Defense Command launched fighter jets over "numerous" U.S. cities in response to today's plane crash in New York City.

However, NORAD will not disclose the number of planes that have been launched, nor the cities in which they'll fly over or how they determine which cities they fly over.

The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street - a 50-story condominium tower built in 1986 and located nearby Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/topstories_story_284145246.html

There we go. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:33 pm
Thats good to hear then. What time did it happen anyway? I'm still clueless on everything...  

Not Importante

Noble Lunatic

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:36 pm
LingMing
Thats good to hear then. What time did it happen anyway? I'm still clueless on everything...
It looks like it happened aroun 2:45pm EST.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:38 pm
Strideo
LingMing
It looks like it happened aroun 2:45pm EST.

So its been what, a hour or so? I was reading that last article you put and so its just some person who was flying too low who hit it?  

Not Importante

Noble Lunatic

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 pm
Apparently the pilot was NY Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle. He wasn't a bad pilot from what I've heard but today wasn't a good day for flying in NYC. There was bad weather and reports of low level turbulance.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:51 am
gonk i guess he shoulda stuck to pitching when it was turbulent weather... eek poor guy. at least no one but the 2 people in the plane got killed, from what i heard. sweatdrop  

rabbitinthemoon

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Water Rouge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:58 am
yes, Praise God indead that no one was in that room, especially a family. who knows, maybe he knew he was going to crash and steered it to a seemignly empty room  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:12 pm
As much as I hate the Yankees, still sad that they lost someone.  

ATorridLoveAffair

Liberal Elder

11,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cool Cat 500

crazydude444292

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:15 pm
if the yankees were in the alcs, lidle would have no reason to be in that plane. right?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:21 pm
Probably.  

ATorridLoveAffair

Liberal Elder

11,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cool Cat 500

volos the demon king

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:53 pm
you know what?!NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE STUPID NEWS!  
"WNN" Why Not News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games