Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  duh!
View Results

G u a r d i a n

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:41 pm
Mandarin Chinese is my first language, and I don't mind using pinyin (pheonetics) to talk to anyone who knows it. Also, if you want to learn any phrase, sentence, etc. feel free to post here or pm me for a translation. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:51 pm
Wo xe Xiao Qian, da jia hao! Qin jie shao ni men zi ji. Zhong wen huo zhe Yin wen dou ke yi. 3nodding

(( sweatdrop It's harder when you don't have the accent symbols: "I'm Sen, hello everyone! Please introduce yourselves. Chinese or English works."))  

G u a r d i a n

Mwahahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 am
..Could you give information about the grammatical structure of Mandarin Chinese?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:44 am
Yes, grammar structure and basic words... please?

I like languages, but spanish and latin were all that were offered at my school, and it's dull trying to teach oneself from a traveler's guide and dictionary. I tried to teach myself Japanese this way but sort of got bored and quit. I can start again at any time- both books are right by my feet (in a book bag) even as we speak. But, that doesn't help me learn Chinese so I guess that was irrelevant. sweatdrop

Anyway, I'd like to learn, if you don't mind teaching. smile  

Amethyst Smoke

Mwahahahaha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:57 pm
..I don't really think I'll be able to learn Chinese, as I've heard that it has a very different structure..and that the accents are extremely important, and therefore would be impossible to learn without hearing exercises.. I still am interested, though, in the grammatical structure. I'm interested in the Chinese culture and traditions as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:58 pm
It's nice enough already ithat you're interested. But let me put it this way. Try aiming to think positively first, "Yes, it's not impossible. I can do it." Then try to connect English to Chinese, so that it doesn't look so intimidating because there are many more similarities than you may think. wink

In the most basic of sentences, it's just like English. Maybe starting with simpler structures would be better. For instance, the commands and one worded answers.

Commands.

"Zhou!" - "Leave!"

"Lai." - "Come."

One word answers.

"No!" - "Bu!" or "Bu yao!"

"Yes!" - "Hao!"

More complex structures will need subjects, verbs and objects eventually. Like I said, it's not so different in the sense that we share many of the same parts of speech and tenses. It's the order that gets people... But if you ask me, I find English grammar a lot harder.

I'm taking Latin 3 right now, so I can assure you that learning a new language IS hard. With some practice and understanding though, I'm pretty sure your Chinese will get better. biggrin  

G u a r d i a n

Mwahahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:13 pm
..Hmm, so the general order used in Mandarin Chinese is subject - verb - object? (Or, for instance, subject - object - verb?)

..The grammatical structure of English seems kind of easy to me, but that might be because I know it already.. I'd probably have a hard time trying to learn all the verb tenses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Well, some basic structures do make sense in just subject - verb - object.

For example:

1. "Wo da ta." ((I hit him/her.))

2. "Ta da ni." ((He/She hit you.))

3. "Ni da wo." ((You hit me.))

It gets more complicated than that, but the sentences I used are all in the simplest of form. 3nodding  

G u a r d i a n

"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff