Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:05 pm
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
Seeker_of_Skybreak
Anyone want to help in an ongoinging philosophical argument between me and my friend?
She says that logic is just intuition with you just scrambling around trying to prove what you already feel is true. She claims i am wasting my time logically proving my arguments because i already know what i'm arguing for is true.
I say that be that as it may, logic is there to make sure, and that, since "i felt like i should kill that man" won't stand up in today's court, it's irrelevant whether intution is the basis of logic--logic is widely accepted as proof, and that's what counts.

logic and intuition are 2 totally different things. totally different parts of the brain power each of them. logic is following a thought process, intuition is a feeling. some use one more than the other, some use both relatively equally (I like to think of myself as the latter). also I dont think seeking to prove what you feel is true is a waste of time. depends on who you wanna prove it to.

I think, like someone else said that they are not that different, intuition is just more complex to understand since you didnt make the procces to get the answer, your brain skipped that part...

intuition is just knowing... it's like a heightened sense of instinct. logic is the thought process one goes thru to come to a conclusion. it's exactly the process that makes the difference. and some things intuitively known could not be figured out thru a logical process.

its not just knowing, its feel like that, but if you analize it intuition follow all the right logical process, not only formal or aristotelic but also dialectic(sp?) intuition its a none conscious logic resolve where we can only know the answer but not the process  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 am
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
Seeker_of_Skybreak
Anyone want to help in an ongoinging philosophical argument between me and my friend?
She says that logic is just intuition with you just scrambling around trying to prove what you already feel is true. She claims i am wasting my time logically proving my arguments because i already know what i'm arguing for is true.
I say that be that as it may, logic is there to make sure, and that, since "i felt like i should kill that man" won't stand up in today's court, it's irrelevant whether intution is the basis of logic--logic is widely accepted as proof, and that's what counts.

logic and intuition are 2 totally different things. totally different parts of the brain power each of them. logic is following a thought process, intuition is a feeling. some use one more than the other, some use both relatively equally (I like to think of myself as the latter). also I dont think seeking to prove what you feel is true is a waste of time. depends on who you wanna prove it to.

I think, like someone else said that they are not that different, intuition is just more complex to understand since you didnt make the procces to get the answer, your brain skipped that part...

intuition is just knowing... it's like a heightened sense of instinct. logic is the thought process one goes thru to come to a conclusion. it's exactly the process that makes the difference. and some things intuitively known could not be figured out thru a logical process.

its not just knowing, its feel like that, but if you analize it intuition follow all the right logical process, not only formal or aristotelic but also dialectic(sp?) intuition its a none conscious logic resolve where we can only know the answer but not the process

see the post I wrote right after the one above. and besides, even the dictionaries state that intution is knowing without following a logical process.. that it's more instinctive:

onelook.com intuition:

# noun: instinctive knowing (without the use of rational processes)
# noun: an impression that something might be the case

there is no logic to it. there is no such thing that I've ever heard of as "non-conscious logic". intuition is more instinctive. 'instinct' is the word used by science when they honestly dont know or cant tell how something (cat, dog) or someone knows something or knows to do something. they dont call it non-conscious logic. they call it instinct. and I believe, that intuition is heightened instinct and I think if it's strong enough it could be considered a form of, or basic ESP.  

Calypsophia

Original_Esp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am
When intuition is counted as an instinctive knowing, it's because you've already developed some sort of thought process that instantly leads you to that answer. Intuition is not logical because it doesn't consciously try to prove that the end result you got was logical. It wouldn't be logical do try to prove an intuition because that would mean that you would be biased to looking for facts that prove it, and anything that you can only ever know through intuition can never be proved.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:53 pm
Original_Esp
When intuition is counted as an instinctive knowing, it's because you've already developed some sort of thought process that instantly leads you to that answer. Intuition is not logical because it doesn't consciously try to prove that the end result you got was logical. It wouldn't be logical do try to prove an intuition because that would mean that you would be biased to looking for facts that prove it, and anything that you can only ever know through intuition can never be proved.

as was mentioned before.. it's not a thought process but a feeling.  

Calypsophia

Nitro-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:57 am
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
Seeker_of_Skybreak

see the post I wrote right after the one above. and besides, even the dictionaries state that intution is knowing without following a logical process.. that it's more instinctive:

onelook.com intuition:

there is no logic to it. there is no such thing that I've ever heard of as "non-conscious logic". intuition is more instinctive. 'instinct' is the word used by science when they honestly dont know or cant tell how something (cat, dog) or someone knows something or knows to do something. they dont call it non-conscious logic. they call it instinct. and I believe, that intuition is heightened instinct and I think if it's strong enough it could be considered a form of, or basic ESP.

why do we always come to this?
like I said before(yes I am Yuu-chan its me) and to get into the right words, is not logical because it doesnt follow a conscious process, its just like a feeling true but then again instinct is a feeling intuition its a non-concious process that only lets you know the answer and its based on the knowledge you already have, for example a quick move to avoid something thrown at you is instinctive, but to "feel" something is not right in someone else's statement even when you cant prove it right away, thats intuition =)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:12 am
Nitro-kun
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan

onelook.com intuition:

like I said before(yes I am Yuu-chan its me) and to get into the right words, is not logical because it doesnt follow a conscious process, its just like a feeling true but then again instinct is a feeling intuition its a non-concious process that only lets you know the answer and its based on the knowledge you already have, for example a quick move to avoid something thrown at you is instinctive, but to "feel" something is not right in someone else's statement even when you cant prove it right away, thats intuition =)

not all instinctive responses represent intuition. what about when you feel someone is looking at you? ever get that sensation? then you turn around and catch em? it's happened to me many times and that's intuition. or just knowing that someone is going to call you when you have no reason to suppose they would. or feeling upon waking in the morning that something will happen (bad or good) that day, and there's no reason for this feeling, and it turns out to be true. you might not know what will happen, but something, some major change.. and you turn out correct. that's intuition. that's quite different from seeing a ball or something else coming at you and you move away. that's more of a reflex. it's not intuition because you see it coming. if you didnt see it coming but felt it anyway and moved, that I would consider to be intuitive.  

Calypsophia

Nitro-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 pm
Calypsophia
Nitro-kun
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan

onelook.com intuition:

not all instinctive responses represent intuition. what about when you feel someone is looking at you? ever get that sensation? then you turn around and catch em? it's happened to me many times and that's intuition. or just knowing that someone is going to call you when you have no reason to suppose they would. or feeling upon waking in the morning that something will happen (bad or good) that day, and there's no reason for this feeling, and it turns out to be true. you might not know what will happen, but something, some major change.. and you turn out correct. that's intuition. that's quite different from seeing a ball or something else coming at you and you move away. that's more of a reflex. it's not intuition because you see it coming. if you didnt see it coming but felt it anyway and moved, that I would consider to be intuitive.

I should have say it in the wrong way, but I was going after that, I mean there is a lot of instinct involved with humans, but intuition is different, is true it feels like a feeling but with a little thought you can get all the "whys" about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:08 am
Nitro-kun
Calypsophia
Nitro-kun
Calypsophia
I am Yuu-chan

onelook.com intuition:

I should have say it in the wrong way, but I was going after that, I mean there is a lot of instinct involved with humans, but intuition is different, is true it feels like a feeling but with a little thought you can get all the "whys" about it.

earlier I quoted the dictionary definition, but I would also define intuition as a means of knowing beyond reason.  

Calypsophia

TemptedBlaze

2,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:54 am
Warning: Discretion advised.

I was in a situation recently where I did not listen to my intuition. I ran into someone I used to work with who had sexually assaulted me in the past. My gut told me to get out, but I thought about it and came to the conclusion that people can change and I should give him a chance. Naive, I know, but either way my logic was wrong. He sexually assaulted me a second time.

My point is: No matter how good your reasoning, listen to your intuition. It's there for a reason. You can always look back and think "I offended him.. I should have stayed dispite my gut feelings." Or you can look back and think.. "Well damn he assaulted me again.. should have gone with my gut." Trust me.. the second one makes you feel worse in the long run.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff