I have a problem

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LeonFisky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:49 pm
Well, yeah, I have a problem.

I'm changing so much. And it's really confusing for me. Like, all my life, I was known for being a very good Basketball player. I was the high scorer and whatever.... Having people screaming my name from the stands and having them come up to me after the game and saying "Wow really good job!" And I would think, Who the heck was that?? But then I entered highschool. I'm a Freshman. I tried out for the High School Basketball team of course. Everyone says "No way u'll get cut ur way to good to get cut!" I got cut. But to be honest (This is what confuses me) I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be. I mean, I was pretty upset that my friend, who is actually very bad to be brutally honest, made it over me. I'm playing on the town team, and I like it, but all my life all I ever talked about was going to UConn and playing Basketball.... But all of a sudden, I don't know if I want to do that. I'v been getting into Music.... I kinda want to be a Band Teacher.... But I can't explain this to my parents because
1. They arn't Musical people.
2. They would just think it's stupid.
Also, I can't afford to get lessons for instruments or anything.... we're pretty tight on money here....I would really like to learn all the instruments in a band. But it seems impossible.

Any suggestions??  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 am
i'd say u need to take things one at a time. as for telling ur parents, ur carreer is ur choice, so they shouldn't make u feel bad over what u chose. furthermore, not making the school team isn't that big a deal. u can keep practicing, get better, and try out again. just bcs u fail once doesn't mean u have to quit.  

Sotur

Tarrien

Feral Mystic

21,325 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:52 am
I think the opportunity opened for you as one turned you down... Not a bad thing.

If your parents think it's stupid, just try to work around it, tell them that the music you listen every day, I'm serious everyday in the background of television/movies/ hell, elevator music, might not of been made without a teacher to guide the artist.

Do you know a few friends who could teach you alittle bit about instruments? If so, if money's too tight for instruments you could maybe mooch off them for a bit till you could get one on your own.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:28 pm
I'm a little confused as to what you are concerned about with the basketball. are you concerned about not feeling so sad about it? as for not making it, it happens to the best every once in a while, so not much I can do there. as for the music thing, I got no problem with that, and your parents shouldn't either. personally, I have seriously considered becoming a musician, and there isn't a problem with wanting to get into music. it's a great world.

but pm me with the first question, I'll probably never be able to find this thread again, as is my experience. sweatdrop  

IKurando

WindAndFire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:10 pm
Getting into music is not a bad thing at all. Music is the greatest form of expression without words, and is understood across all languages.
Don't stress about not making the basketball team. You're a freshman, so you still have plenty of time to work your skills up and make it next year if you try out again.
And (no offense) music will probably get you farther in life than basketball, unless of course you play in the NBA or something to that effect. After college, basketball might not be an option (or maybe it will be; I have no idea how hard it is to get into professional basketball....), but music has plenty of opportunites. There are also tons of branches of music you can major in (education, performance, etc).
And parents...well, don't worry about them. Just tell them you love music. It's your life, do what you want with it. They're not going to go to college and live your life for you.
Ok, hope that helped sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:49 pm
The fact that you didn't get upset about getting cut shows that you were either very mature about it, or it isn't your passion.

If you want to be a band teacher, I say go for it. It's your life, not your parents' and your should do what will make you happy.  

baigais

Ayllin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:52 pm
That's fine that you want to be a band teacher. Your parents should know that you should be able to do what you want to do. Freshmans on any level getting into any kind of school sport is nearly impossible. In Elementry School I thought I was really fast. I tried out for track in 6th grade and well, let's just say I'm not fast at all. Basketball can be a hobby, it doesn't have to be your life. As for the money for instruments, talk to your school band teacher about it, he/she may be able to help. Maybe there's a place you can rent one for really cheap. Take it one instrument at a time, or even if you just learn one you can still be a band teacher. As long as you can play each one to the point where it sounds right you can specialize in one. My band teacher plays oboe for example, but she can play others. If you want to be a teacher you'd have to learn a lot more about music than just how to play instruments but if your hearts set on it, it's all possible. Again, talking to your school band teacher is a great place to start, he/she will probablly be over joyed that your interested in music. Maybe they can offer free lessons after school or something.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games