Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Omegamode

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:29 pm
I'm 16 right now and to tell you the truth, I kinda have some insecurities whenever I'm talking to someone. Don't get me wrong, I can talk to friends and like people I know, fine. It's just the real problem is that my mom wants me to get a part-time job before the summer. First off, even the thought of talking to someone about getting a job makes me nervous. Second, it's gonna be my first job ever and I have no clue as to how to ask or know about how about to getting a job works. Third, I overall don't know what to exactly expect at all like if I'm gonna get a job at a restaurant, are they gonna take me through like how to make everything or is it like they just kinda give me like 5 min to know everything and throw me in there.

Just wondering how I should deal out with this stuff. Also, I'm being dead serious about this. It may sound childish to ask but I really want to know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:05 pm
You sound sorta like i do/did at that age. I'm 21 now and I still get nervous talking to important people.

If the thought of getting a job gets you nervous, try thinking about the rewards of having a job... namely the cash flow with each paycheck. Think about the stuff you want and how the job will help you get it. If you start to get nervous (during practice and anticipating talking to someone) just close your eyes and breathe slowly. It works wonders.

As to your second problem, ask your mom to do a few mock interviews with you. She's been through what you're going through and I'm sure that if she wants you to get a job she would happily oblige. Once you are comfortable with the interview, find where you want to work and apply. Now comes the most important part... call them every day. Ask if they have received your application and when you can expect to hear from them. If you do not let them forget about you, you will show that you are dedicated and reliable. (both VERY good traits)

Third, don't worry about training. You will receive all the training your position requires, I guarantee it. Think of it this way: If you were the boss, would you want someone who didn't know what they were doing serving customers? They're going to train you in everything you need to know so you put a positive image on the company whenever you work.

And it's not childish; everyone goes through this at one point in their life or another.  

Angel80272

Omegamode

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:14 pm
tiger80272
You sound sorta like i do/did at that age. I'm 21 now and I still get nervous talking to important people.

If the thought of getting a job gets you nervous, try thinking about the rewards of having a job... namely the cash flow with each paycheck. Think about the stuff you want and how the job will help you get it. If you start to get nervous (during practice and anticipating talking to someone) just close your eyes and breathe slowly. It works wonders.

As to your second problem, ask your mom to do a few mock interviews with you. She's been through what you're going through and I'm sure that if she wants you to get a job she would happily oblige. Once you are comfortable with the interview, find where you want to work and apply. Now comes the most important part... call them every day. Ask if they have received your application and when you can expect to hear from them. If you do not let them forget about you, you will show that you are dedicated and reliable. (both VERY good traits)

Third, don't worry about training. You will receive all the training your position requires, I guarantee it. Think of it this way: If you were the boss, would you want someone who didn't know what they were doing serving customers? They're going to train you in everything you need to know so you put a positive image on the company whenever you work.

And it's not childish; everyone goes through this at one point in their life or another.

Thanks for your reply. I feel a lot better reading this.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 am
It's no problem. I can only say that because I literally went through the exact same thing... sweatdrop  

Angel80272

Elana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 pm
Nervousness is natural, and take your mom with you when seeing about a job, you just have to do the interveiw alone. A job will help you build your confidence, it should be an awesome expirience, and cash never hurts.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 pm
feeling nervous when getting a job is normal. even tho i'd worked with ppl b4 [family bussiness] when i applied for a job i was EXTREMELY nervous. i didn't get the job bcs..well..i did get it, but since i couldn't make it to the training thing, THEN i "lost" the job. it's complicated. anyway, it's perfectly normal to be nervous. just do u best, give a good impression.  

Sotur

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff