Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
I'm honestly confused. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you? (Read my post first)
  Yes, it makes sense to me.
  No. If You're a Christian, you can't just pick and choose what you want to believe out of the Bible.
  Dunno/other
View Results

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:39 pm
spiffyelgato
I go to a Christian school. In this school, they often say things like "If all the non-Christians knew God's love, they would be Christians (which I already don't totally agree with)

Well, I believe that Jesus is the son of God and he died on the cross for our sins. But I don't 100% know if I want to associate myself with it. It seems that most people think that Christians have to be either for or against God. but I don't agree with many things in the Bible. And in many cases, i'll denty what God says (just how is homosexuality wrong?).

People frequently say to me "You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in the Bible!" Which I generally respond to by saying "Watch me".

I had a conversation with a teacher that went kinda like this the other day:

Teacher:Megan, do you KNOW that you will go to Heaven.
Me:I don't know, that's God's descision.
Teacher:Well, are you a Christian?
Me:I don't know. I like to think that I am, but there are plenty of bible things I don't agree with.
Teacher:Like what?
Me:Like homosexuality. People can do what they want, nothings wrong with that.
Teacher:But it's GOD'S will that they ot.
Me :*scauffing* Because we're all the experts on what GOD wants, right?
Same with people who ae of differnt religions: They don't deserve Hell for that. You shouldn't be damned for choosing the wrong lottery numbers; what religion you choose is your choice. Do whatt feels right.
Teacher:I'm sure some MURDERERS thought what THEY were doing was right.
Me biggrin id you just compare love and religion to murder?

LOng story short, she told me me& my non-christian friends were going to Hell if we didn't shape up. Eventually , this happened..

Teacher:I'll pray for you.
Me:Why? Nothings wrong, i'm fine.
Teacher:Your spiritial life isn't fine.
Me:Frankly, you don't have the authority to tell me about my life.

What do you think? Can you BELIEVE something like this is true, and still seperate yourself from it?

The way i see it even though the sacrafice of our sins was made to end the sins, sin itself still roamed after the times of Jesus's life. The fact of God is also a forever mystery, in my perspective I'm quite skeptic and for me to believe in something I must have a proof and not a story. If we weren't allowed to make decisions as well then this world that was created would be quite a dense and boring world. The life were suppose to live is based on decisions, right or wrong. I would tell your teacher that as devote a Christian she may be that she must have made some bad decisions in her life time as well nothing in this world is really pure. We can all be good, nice people, but the thoughts of evil roam in us and some evil tendencies or habits are birthed. The afterlife aspect brought up by you too how your teacher thinks that a Christian is going to heaven well her reasoning is out of hand there. I may not truly believe in God, but i think Jesus was around, does that thought make me evil enough to bring me to hell? I may not be a fully devoted Christian, but if I have done wrong I make sure to do the right thing to make up for the bad deed as well I am Buddhist in which I try to reason in order to do good as well learn to gain happiness through simple things. Does that belief make me evil enough to send me to hell? I have made bad decisions as well and many of us have I bet in our lives, but not all is bad we do make good decisions. Is that so wrong to send us to hell? I think your teacher should watch her terms of what a good Christian is all about especially in today's society. Those good Christians I have heard about are really not doing too good for themselves lately.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:48 am
I totally agree. I don't like religions. I know I affiliate myself with the Christian religion to give people an idea of how I believe. I believe(And can back this up with scripture) That people will be judged after they die according to what they knew. Not what they didn't know. God says that nobody will have an excuse. If you really don't know something than how could God(the righteous judge) send you to hell? However, if you truly did know something? and acted against that knowledge? Than you don't have an excuse for that. Just by knowing the scriptures Christians have even more responsibility than anyone else. Every Christian knows(or should know) he is the worst off of anybody because he/she knows the truth.(looking from a Christian point of view).  

Card_King1

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:21 pm
Card_King1
I totally agree. I don't like religions. I know I affiliate myself with the Christian religion to give people an idea of how I believe. I believe(And can back this up with scripture) That people will be judged after they die according to what they knew. Not what they didn't know. God says that nobody will have an excuse. If you really don't know something than how could God(the righteous judge) send you to hell? However, if you truly did know something? and acted against that knowledge? Than you don't have an excuse for that. Just by knowing the scriptures Christians have even more responsibility than anyone else. Every Christian knows(or should know) he is the worst off of anybody because he/she knows the truth.(looking from a Christian point of view).

well put my friend, well put  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:33 pm
I always had a problem with being told God and Jesus are love, and then being told an hour later that we are all sinners and we were going to Hell if we didn't repent. It was like going to the Church of Sybil  

Jaenne

clickmic

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:13 pm
Tell your teacher this:

The Bible is written by man, not by god. It is the word of man, not of god. It is a guidebook, not an instruction manual. If we treat it as a manual, we break one of the ten rules actually given by god. "You shall have no other gods before me".

It's epic win in nearly all arguments, unless the other person is a complete jerk. 83  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm
Well I'm not a believer myself but the rest of my family is so I know what's going on. Ok, first of all humans aren't perfect, which is why the bible could be completley wrong, Humans interpret the bible and what it says, they wrote the bible, not god. Personally I think the ten commandments are great rules (except for the give yourself to god thing, I have a problem with that) however the newer testament is filled with....questionable teachings (about homosexuality being wrong and such) I think you have every right to interpret the bible however you wish and to exclude whichever parts you deem wrong.

signed that's just me
Zylo the Wolfbane  

Zylo the Wolfbane

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:21 am
Zylo the Wolfbane
Well I'm not a believer myself but the rest of my family is so I know what's going on. Ok, first of all humans aren't perfect, which is why the bible could be completley wrong, Humans interpret the bible and what it says, they wrote the bible, not god. Personally I think the ten commandments are great rules (except for the give yourself to god thing, I have a problem with that) however the newer testament is filled with....questionable teachings (about homosexuality being wrong and such) I think you have every right to interpret the bible however you wish and to exclude whichever parts you deem wrong.signed that's just me
Zylo the Wolfbane

in my perspective, as a christian, I believe that yes the bible was written by man, but I'm quite sure god played a part in what was written.

As to interpretation, I believe that god has us each interpreting it in the way in which is right for us, individually, to interpret it. His purpose for us each is different, so his message for us each is different as well. This is one reason why I dont believe in letting your church judge your interpretation. Because how you read it and how your chuchleaders read it are not the same. They are simply guides.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff