Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

add a
  poll
View Results

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:48 am
Hellraver
If there are alien lifeforms, they'd need water, too. Of course it's possible, that they are able to survive in hazardous atmospheres.

ok, so how do you know there arent alien lifeforms that need petrolium or oil to live instead of water like us? water may be necessary for all lifeforms we have here on earth, but that doesnt mean all life forms all over the universe is like that.

being able to live in a hazardous environment isnt necessarily the same idea as that above. a lot of animals here on earth live in hazardous environments but still need things like water and oxygen to survive.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:51 pm
I'd think that we're looking for solar systems similar to ours. I mean, life has to have some similar bases doesn't it; something that we all have in common.  

ArcadiaB

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:11 pm
ArcadiaB
I'd think that we're looking for solar systems similar to ours. I mean, life has to have some similar bases doesn't it; something that we all have in common.

there is only one basis of life that I can think of that would be true for all life anywhere imaginable..... death. everything that lives, must die at some point. otherwise, the possibilities for differences can be endless.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:24 pm
Calypsophia
Hellraver
If there are alien lifeforms, they'd need water, too. Of course it's possible, that they are able to survive in hazardous atmospheres.

ok, so how do you know there arent alien lifeforms that need petrolium or oil to live instead of water like us? water may be necessary for all lifeforms we have here on earth, but that doesnt mean all life forms all over the universe is like that.

being able to live in a hazardous environment isnt necessarily the same idea as that above. a lot of animals here on earth live in hazardous environments but still need things like water and oxygen to survive.

Where do you take the oil from?

The oil rigged on our earth is a biological matter, it is a mix of various chemicals catalyzed to this black soup. Water is a "clean" element, you find it everywhere in space. Even if we take organisms, which are able to consume oil, this lifeform would still base on water.

Science is far enough to apply the rules of creating successful lifeforms into a higher level, like the possibility of lifeforms on other planets. Yet, we only know of one planet which contains lifeforms (which is actually our blue planet).

That life came to here was also a lucky game, because a few meters are deciding for too warm or too cold.  

Verderbnis

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm
water, H2, universal solvent, equal to life, I guess that we could say that eventually we will have to change of planet, so we need to be practical and search for planets that are like earth, there is no point in looking for weird planets, or weird aliens or even the secrets of universe, in a not so far future our planet will be literally devastated by the human contamination so dont worry about alien planets worry about our own planet we can still save it [/pro-ozone speech]  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 am
Hellraver
Calypsophia
Hellraver

Where do you take the oil from?

The oil rigged on our earth is a biological matter, it is a mix of various chemicals catalyzed to this black soup. Water is a "clean" element, you find it everywhere in space. Even if we take organisms, which are able to consume oil, this lifeform would still base on water.

Science is far enough to apply the rules of creating successful lifeforms into a higher level, like the possibility of lifeforms on other planets. Yet, we only know of one planet which contains lifeforms (which is actually our blue planet).

That life came to here was also a lucky game, because a few meters are deciding for too warm or too cold.

you are totally missing the point. what does it matter where the said oil comes from??? it's a matter of "what if" and the reality is we dont know 'what if'. there could be a planet somewhere on the other side of the universe with oceans of oil and creatures with a totally different biological system that swim around and live in it. who the hell knows? it's a matter of imagination, and just because life as we know it functions a certain way, does not mean that all life everywhere in the whole vast universe functions the same. I'm not saying this is what I stringently believe.. I'm saying "what if". and there is a saying that goes nothing is impossible, only improbable. it's a matter of probability. so granted, it is probably not likely that such a world I laid out for you exists, but tho the probability is small, it's still there.  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 am
I am Yuu-chan
water, H2, universal solvent, equal to life, I guess that we could say that eventually we will have to change of planet, so we need to be practical and search for planets that are like earth, there is no point in looking for weird planets, or weird aliens or even the secrets of universe, in a not so far future our planet will be literally devastated by the human contamination so dont worry about alien planets worry about our own planet we can still save it [/pro-ozone speech]

I think while we might be actively looking for planets like ours, we really dont know what wonders we'll find and learn about in the universe. the important thing is we're exploring. if we find another planet like ours great! if we find something totally new, well.. great too! really, the more we explore who knows what we'll discover.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff