Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!
So I got my Mac... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Rawr...
  Burrito!
View Results

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:27 pm
IAmNotAConformer
Askeptykal
IAmNotAConformer
Askeptykal
IAmNotAConformer
Askeptykal
IAmNotAConformer
Askeptykal
Linux is cool, because it's free, and almost all of the programs for it are free, and it's very secure, there's different distributions to fit your needs, it has great community support, and hey, it makes you sound prestigious when you say that you run Linux.

Plus, it's got a cute penguin as a mascot.

what kind of thing can you run it on, is if only for mac?

Linux is easiest to install on PCs. I think it is possible to install it on an Apple machine, I'm just not sure how.

well this comp wiz at my school had it on an apple that heput together him self, he is like a frikin machine when it comes to that stuff, he even fixed a suicidial laptop

I wish I was a computer whiz.

dont you even wonder about the suicidial laptop?

well actualy it constantly said "attempting to kill" lol

Weird.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:39 pm
purpleravenhawk
No one has ever told me what makes MAC or Linux so awesome. stare Will someone please tell me! gonk

Macs are very good when it comes to graphical interfacing and such. They are a creativity machine. Anything you can dream and imagine, with a little bit of point, click, and drag, you can create! biggrin  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

purpleravenhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:13 am
zphal_girl87
purpleravenhawk
No one has ever told me what makes MAC or Linux so awesome. stare Will someone please tell me! gonk

Macs are very good when it comes to graphical interfacing and such. They are a creativity machine. Anything you can dream and imagine, with a little bit of point, click, and drag, you can create! biggrin

You make it sound like magic. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:19 am
I really want a Mac. It probably pwns Windows ten times over. ;___;  

Shigures Editor

Disco Cupcake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:28 am
Linux pwns!!! I'm using it right now ^^ My cousins have a mac, but I prefer Linux!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:55 am
purpleravenhawk

Linux: Open source origin means that people around the world work on making Linux work with their unique hardware. Modern Linux apparently supports legacy hardware better than Windows does. Open source also means that you have the power to fix a broken problem should you run into it.

As a popular platform, lots of work is also being put into getting windows programs running on Linux. Multiple solutions exist, but by going with popular packages you also get popular solutions to problems.

Having access to the complete source allows for trivial installation across multiple platforms. It can be installed on a Mac, for example. If it's not a Macbook Pro with an x86 processor then you can easily find PPC builds of Linux.

OSX: This is the name of the OS shipped on Macs. Based upon OpenBSD, I think? An open-sourced Unix (similar to Linux ; older than it, actually) that can be fairly reliably added to, but unlike Linux's GPL licenses, the Unix licenses does not force people who modify the code to release the modified source ; indeed, Apple has made proprietary modifications to some Unix code (mostly around the GUI, I believe.)

However, Apple offers a complete product ; they don't just sell the OS, they sell the computer. The GUI is really well polished with Apple's OS tweaks. In addition, unlike Windows which enjoys forcing you to upgrade hardware, OSX is known for running with similar capacity to Windows but performing better on older hardware. As a rough example, the old PowerBook G4s from 6 years ago here at work easily run the latest OSX versions without needing any sort of

Also, it's noteworthy that both are considered more "secure" than your traditional Windows installation. Windows Vista looks like a really good step in the right direction, takling on a security approach similar to Linux and Unix.

I believe that the DRM situation in OSX is better than Windows and Linux is better than both... I don't have time to elaborate. I need lunch.  

Nadian
Crew

hellzeeko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 am
You can also run Linux on an Xbox, my friend did that before...but it soiled Microsoft's great gaming machine.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:14 pm
Skepty needs to stop advertising Linux for God's sake..

I have an iMac.. (School provided) and I HATE IT.
IT SUCKS.
IT CRASHES RANDOMLY
YOU'RE KILLING YOURSELF
PC FTW  

Bagel Tornado

preeeow

Feral Kitten

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:52 pm
Actually, sometimes it depends on what mac you get... or your personal choices
^-^;
I'm using the really big-screened iMacs, and I think its nice, but my friend that has a PC keeps screwing it up....
It can be really complicated, but simple, really...
Like zphal said, it literaly is "point, click, and drag, you can create!"
Yeah...
point click and drag can also get rid of things to >->
Btw, CONGRATS :3  
"EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items