Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
I can't eat. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prodigal Daughter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:33 pm
Typing this up really effing fast before I go back to my mountains of homework.

Lately, I can't eat. Food just feels gross, smells awful, and it makes me nauseous to even try to eat. Mum keeps threatening that she'll cart me off to a doctor, and I really don't want that. I'm. . . .Well, let's just say 'not exactly skinny' at 5' 4.25" and ~125lbs, so not eating for a while won't really hurt me, right? It's not like I don't excersize, I bike to and from school every weekday, 2.5 miles each way. I'm just wondering if it's bad, that's all. Does anyone know?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:36 pm
depends on the reason why food is unappetizing. I mean, is it a real problem? because if you *really* feel nauseous it could be a medical problem. if it's nerves or a concern for how you look, then it's probably nothing but could also lead to a medical problem. I'd be concerned too if I was your mom.. I mean if this was going on for a while.

and eventually if you dont eat at least what your body needs for long enough you'd soon find you wont have the energy to do things like bike riding.  

Calypsophia

hella uncool

Feral Nerd

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:26 pm
well seeing as you have a somewhat active lifestyle, that is sorta, well, bad. just really think of anything you would possibly want to eat, even if it's small. it might kick-start you into eating again.

but at LEAST take a vitamin every day. you don't want to be completely undernourished while this is happening. and if it goes on any longer than a week you really REALLY should see a doctor. if it allready has gone over a week, see one asap. you don't want to pass out while on your bike while by a road.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:48 pm
Oh, I take my vitamins. I'm kinda obsessive about that. sweatdrop It's happened before, usually for a day or two, but it started this time around the start of the school year and got bad enough I can't really eat much at all a few days ago. I can make myself eat, I just feel really ill--pretty much like I'm going to chuck, if you'll pardon the word-- for the next couple hours. Which sucks.  

Prodigal Daughter

Lil Tree Hugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:19 pm
lilraine
depends on the reason why food is unappetizing. I mean, is it a real problem? because if you *really* feel nauseous it could be a medical problem. if it's nerves or a concern for how you look, then it's probably nothing but could also lead to a medical problem. I'd be concerned too if I was your mom.. I mean if this was going on for a while.

and eventually if you dont eat at least what your body needs for long enough you'd soon find you wont have the energy to do things like bike riding.

Exactly. If it is about how you look, then maybe you should see a therapist. Therapy isnt just for crazy people...but its to help you find out who you are and help you respect yourself.

If it is because you really truely feel nauseous....then i also recommend seeing a doctor. Personally if I were you i would see a doctor or therapist and eat something. Eat small and work your way up. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 pm
if your that active, get some calories in your system and definitely some vitamins.  

Ms._Fashion_Victim_2006

Prodigal Daughter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:45 pm
Lil Island Beach Bum
lilraine

Exactly. If it is about how you look, then maybe you should see a therapist. Therapy isnt just for crazy people...but its to help you find out who you are and help you respect yourself.

If it is because you really truely feel nauseous....then i also recommend seeing a doctor. Personally if I were you i would see a doctor or therapist and eat something. Eat small and work your way up. 3nodding

No offense, but. . .

Hell no nononononono. No shrinks. I've never trusted them. They scare the crap out of me. *twitch*

And I can eat, occasionally. I just feel really ill after. And while I'm eating. But still.

Eh, I would go to a doctor, but I'm worried that they'd immediately assume it's anorexia and make a big deal out of it, and then my parents would freak, and all that bad stuff.

@Fashion Victim-- 2.5 miles to and from school isn't that active. I mean, it's normal, and I participate in PhysEd and everything, but I don't really get what you mean. . . .  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:19 am
Prodigal Daughter
Lil Island Beach Bum
lilraine

No offense, but. . .

Hell no nononononono. No shrinks. I've never trusted them. They scare the crap out of me. *twitch*

And I can eat, occasionally. I just feel really ill after. And while I'm eating. But still.

Eh, I would go to a doctor, but I'm worried that they'd immediately assume it's anorexia and make a big deal out of it, and then my parents would freak, and all that bad stuff.

@Fashion Victim-- 2.5 miles to and from school isn't that active. I mean, it's normal, and I participate in PhysEd and everything, but I don't really get what you mean. . . .

well, the thing is it very well could be related to stress or something psychological. stress (and the mind) can do some messed up things to the body. from making you lose your appetite, or even the opposite and make you overeat, and it *could* make you sick. it could cause your body to weaken and become prone to becoming ill no matter how many vitamins you take.

I'm assuming that this problem is pretty bad since it drove you to seek advice about it. and if it is that bad you shouldnt spurn the advice that someone gives you. I'm not a big fan of therapists either. my own mother worships them and that's problably why. but honestly, if it's not a medical problem then it is a psychological one, and a therapist very well could help (if you let them). I myself would see one if I had a problem. it would be worth a try.

and wait a minute... you told us you are over weight. so why would a dr think you're anorexic?  

Calypsophia

Lil Tree Hugger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:31 pm
There are some good shrinks out there. You just have to look in the right places. He/She would give you good advice. If you dont trust your shrink, then move on to another. Also some doctors can be good shrinks...I have a few friends who have doctors that can also give good advice. Just promise me you will do something about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:29 am
heh, if she says she's over weight, but she thinks a dr will think she's anorexic, i'd say it sounds like it is psychological. based on her own statements, I'm picturing her as someone who worries about being fat, who's friends say "are you kidding me?" but she doesnt believe them, or see the same thing they do. anorexia an eating disorder that starts off as a psychological one.

*shrug* but what do I know. she hasnt yet answered my question. she didnt say how old she is, but from looking on the weight watchers height vs weight chart, for someone 18 years old the normal weight range for someone 5'4 is between 117 lbs and 134 lbs. so at 125 lbs, even if she's 15 or 16 it doesnt sound like she's got that much to worry about weight wise. not skinny, but not fat either.  

Calypsophia

Mitzuki94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:13 am
It really is bad to not eat ( not to mention really unhealthy) if you eat healthy food and excersize you'll get skinny. And at 5 feet and 125 lbs thats not that much but anyway you should eat even if you don't feel like it. Food gives you energy. And if you don't like eating food try drinking smoothies maybe that will help.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:47 pm
Hey, sorry I haven't replied for so long. I've been so tied up with homework and such, I haven't been able to get my mind together. Sorry!

So. I can eat again, albeit sparingly. My mum just kept forcing me to eat, and so It doesn't bother me as much anymore.

To answer you, Calypsophia, A doctor would think I'm anorexic because doctors are trained to fix things. Anorexia is a simple, given problem, and it's what they probably would assume when they see a teenage girl not eating. (Oh, and "who's friends say 'are you kidding me'" kind of assumes I have friends. XD

Oh, and I'm only fourteen.  

Prodigal Daughter

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:14 pm
Prodigal Daughter
Hey, sorry I haven't replied for so long. I've been so tied up with homework and such, I haven't been able to get my mind together. Sorry!

So. I can eat again, albeit sparingly. My mum just kept forcing me to eat, and so It doesn't bother me as much anymore.

To answer you, Calypsophia, A doctor would think I'm anorexic because doctors are trained to fix things. Anorexia is a simple, given problem, and it's what they probably would assume when they see a teenage girl not eating. (Oh, and "who's friends say 'are you kidding me'" kind of assumes I have friends. XD

hehe, no a dr wouldnt think you're anorexic at this point. if the dr couldnt find a physical reason for your inability to eat, then he *might* decide it's a psychological issue that could *lead* to anorexia. you're not skinny enough to be anorexic at this point, and a dr would definately know that. a good dr, would never just assume. and you should not assume what they will think.

I'm sorry for any assumptions I myself had made, but I had nothing to go on while you were unable to respond. and by the way, I'm happy to hear you're eating again. perhaps it will lead to a healthy diet and appetite. but if not.. if it happens again, or you start backsliding with your appetite, please do see a dr. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:53 pm
Prodigal Daughter

This isn't a very helpful reply but I would guess it's mostly just hormones and your body changing. Depending on how long this has been going on, maybe it just has to do with your time of the month type thing? >.>' It happens.

ps - at 5'4 and 125 pounds, don't say "not exactly skinny" like you weigh a lot, that's a healthy, regular weight right there. =  

afflietta

The Golden Pheonix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:01 pm
Sounds like an obsessive case of Acid reflux. Definetly see a doctor about that. I can see the symptoms.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff