Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Apologies.. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

forgiveness
exists
95%
 95%  [ 19 ]
doesn't exist
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

funky_fudge_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:31 am
What is the best way to apologize to someone??
does sayin the two small words "i'm sorry" bring forgiveness??
or is it to give gifts to show how much you mean it??
perhaps you think that giving gifts is bribing forgiveness instead of actually earning it....???
i'm personally not sure what the best way to apologize is??
maybe it's to write and memorize a meaningful speech??
or maybe forgiveness doesn't exist??
can you honestly say that when someone has hurt you, that you eventually forgive them 100%??
what do you think??
xX  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 am
funky_fudge_monkey
What is the best way to apologize to someone??
does sayin the two small words "i'm sorry" bring forgiveness??
or is it to give gifts to show how much you mean it??
perhaps you think that giving gifts is bribing forgiveness instead of actually earning it....???
i'm personally not sure what the best way to apologize is??
maybe it's to write and memorize a meaningful speech??
or maybe forgiveness doesn't exist??
can you honestly say that when someone has hurt you, that you eventually forgive them 100%??
what do you think??
xX

oh, forgiveness exists. I know that for a fact. the best method of appology may depend on the situation and the amount of damage that was done. and sometimes showing someone you're sorry is better than telling someone you're sorry. really, it depends on how often you find yourself saying you're sorry. after a while, the words lose their meaning.

but I know true forgiveness exists, because I've given it... I've felt it. true forgiveness is a very liberating feeling (especially when you're the one doing the forgiving).  

Calypsophia

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 am
I depends on what you did, if you just bumped someone on the street, a sorry is enough, if you come too late you should excuse yourself and if you did something really bad, just bring up your honest apologies.

If the other one forgives you or not, is their deal, you brought your part and if someone doesn't accept it, it's their fault.

I usually give an f about people who do not accept apologies, because those people tend to pick on others and don't acknowledge their own failures.

Always explain the part you see as a failure and you won't get so much trouble. Words cost more than any gift, sure, but words are the only things coming really from the heart.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 am
Hellraver
I depends on what you did, if you just bumped someone on the street, a sorry is enough, if you come too late you should excuse yourself and if you did something really bad, just bring up your honest apologies.

If the other one forgives you or not, is their deal, you brought your part and if someone doesn't accept it, it's their fault.

I usually give an f about people who do not accept apologies, because those people tend to pick on others and don't acknowledge their own failures.

Always explain the part you see as a failure and you won't get so much trouble. Words cost more than any gift, sure, but words are the only things coming really from the heart.

I would say actions speak louder than words, but yeah.. if you buy someone a gift it's more like trying to buy their forgiveness. true forgiveness doenst work that way.  

Calypsophia

PixieofDestruction

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:54 pm
You can forgive someone but it takes time. They have to redeem themselves through bettering their actions. Only saying theyre going to not do it or giving you gifts isn't going to cut it. They have to actively try to gain your trust back.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm
forgiveness is an emotion you make yourself feel, depending on the society you are in....for instance, if you are in a high strung catholic community, it will be nearly impossible to fogive a rapist, but you will forgive the murder who executes him.....and on the other hand, if you are in a gang filled society, you will forgive quickly one who rapes, if they did so to stay alive, but cant forgive the judge who sentences him to death,.........forgiveness is a pice of society, as most everything else in life.......  

MenDia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:11 am
MenDia
forgiveness is an emotion you make yourself feel, depending on the society you are in....for instance, if you are in a high strung catholic community, it will be nearly impossible to fogive a rapist, but you will forgive the murder who executes him.....and on the other hand, if you are in a gang filled society, you will forgive quickly one who rapes, if they did so to stay alive, but cant forgive the judge who sentences him to death,.........forgiveness is a pice of society, as most everything else in life.......

forgiveness is actually the letting go of negative emotion towards someone else (or even yourself). it's not really an emotion in and of itself.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm
Forgiveness is only possible if you make it possible. It doesn't come all at once of course but eventually you should be able to forgive anything.It depends on what happened and the individual.
Same with how to apologize. Sometimes it's as simple as "I'm sorry," or as complicated as saying it in cloud writing or something. However as long as they try to forgive and as long as you try to earn their forgiveness.
It will come sooner or later.  

The_Green_Bard

Card_King1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:41 am
The bible addresses this directly and because I believe in the in-errancy of the bible I believe this:

21 ¶ Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

also check out the parable if you are interested that comes after it. Matthew 18:23.

My beliefs,
Benjamin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:29 pm
Card_King1
The bible addresses this directly and because I believe in the in-errancy of the bible I believe this:

21 ¶ Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

also check out the parable if you are interested that comes after it. Matthew 18:23.

My beliefs,
Benjamin

I am with you on this but you missed the true message of what Jesus was saying. He was not saying yo should forgive someone 49 times, nor 343 times (7 times 49). He is saying that you should never STOP forgiving people. This is hard for most people, especially with all that society is cramming down the youth of America's throats (that we are basically animals and therefore cannot be held accountable for wrong descisions we make).

When you boil it all down, it all comes back to the fallen nature of man.

You can be led to the door, but only you can make the descision to step through.

I was raised in a Christian lifestyle, but I made the descision to be Christian on my own. And being completely transparent, there have been MANY times I doubted God. But I am firm in my belief, and I don't think I'll be believing anything else soon.

(I just felt I needed to share that, after all you never know who it could change for the better. Please do not change the subject of this subforum just because of this.)  

Dr Coconut

Card_King1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 pm
Aye! I know it. I just didn't mention it. Thanks for mentioning that.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm
I don't Apologize.
I don't Forgive.
I don't care.  

Limitality x

KamikazeSkies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 am
I think forgiveness is simple, yet still complicated.

Your apology depends on the level of what you did, as someone (I forgot who) mentioned earlier. If you did something major, something that completely altered their life, then I don't think you should expect forgiveness within the next year or so, but you should try anyway to at least prove that you know what you did wrong and you're willing to do what it takes to earn their trust/friendship back.

On the receiving end, you should always listen to their whole story and explanation. There's always a possibility that you're upset with them for something that was your own fault, never rule that out until you hear the whole story.

No matter which person you are, forgiveness is a 2-way thing. It's never all for one person to stress over about.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm
Forgiveness is a tricky thing. What needs to happen to have forgiveness is all dependant on the situation, who is involved, and your willingness to forgive. Right now I am pissed off at my fried who left me and my other friend's so she could hang out with thse other girls which resulted in her becoming popular and she didn't even tell us she was leaving. Then when I told her I was mad at her she couldn't think of any reason why. She told me she was sorry and it would never happen again and she's an idiot blah blah blah blah. I told her that it was fine if she sat with us again and that I didn't hate her. So that's what she did (not granted my other friend is NOT so forgiving) but even still when ever she still asks if I'm mad at her and I always tell her I still am a little bit and she gets angry with me because she thinks forgivenes is just like flicking a light switch; it's immediate. Forgivness takes time and you may never fully forgive them but atleast you can try.  

xxdangerousbydesignxx

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:18 am
xxdangerousbydesignxx
Forgiveness is a tricky thing. What needs to happen to have forgiveness is all dependant on the situation, who is involved, and your willingness to forgive. Right now I am pissed off at my fried who left me and my other friend's so she could hang out with thse other girls which resulted in her becoming popular and she didn't even tell us she was leaving. Then when I told her I was mad at her she couldn't think of any reason why. She told me she was sorry and it would never happen again and she's an idiot blah blah blah blah. I told her that it was fine if she sat with us again and that I didn't hate her. So that's what she did (not granted my other friend is NOT so forgiving) but even still when ever she still asks if I'm mad at her and I always tell her I still am a little bit and she gets angry with me because she thinks forgivenes is just like flicking a light switch; it's immediate. Forgivness takes time and you may never fully forgive them but atleast you can try.

well, it kinda is. when you truly forgive someone you let go of all the anger. not so much that you forget the pain, but you can no longer be angry at the person for whatever it is they did.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff