Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Why do you think he did it? (Just give it a try.) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, what do you think?
  His own reasons.
  The woman's well-being.
View Results

KamikazeSkies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 am
DISCLAIMER: This involves some violence, but only what's necessary to get the question across clearly.

There's a man, mid-30s. A very successful man, he is. Beautiful wife, three model kids, and a job raking in $125,000 a year. Anything and everything he wants, he has. Not to mention a heart of gold, where he would put anyone's well-being in front of his own.

One day, his world crashes. His wife and three children get killed in a car accident on the way home from school. The man loses sight of who he is, and also his mind, soon resulting in the loss of his job.

Living a life way below the American average, the man contemplates suicide. He tries, but never can get the courage to finish himself. He instead grows weaker and weaker while the thoughts get stronger.

While walking through the city, he hears a scream from a nearby alley. A woman is being robbed by a crook at gunpoint. Now the man thinks to himself for a split second. What he thinks, that part is unknown. But as a result of that thought, he runs and confronts the crook. This gives the woman a chance to escape, but at the cost of his own life.

The man is shot within seconds.

...But don't forget, this man had constant thoughts of suicide, but couldn't bring himself to do it.

So now the man is dead.
But what were his reasons for confronting the gunman?
- Did he see an opportunity to save someone else's life from being shattered like his own?
OR
- Did he simply see it as a way to die without having to do it himself?

This has no definate answer, it's all in the way you view things.
Take a second to think about it fully.
Remember:
- The man lost everything he had.
- The thoughts kept getting stronger.
- He put anyone before him.
- All of his thoughts, except the ones of suicide, are unknown.

This is a question that I personally thought of, be courteous and don't post it for yourself without giving me credit of some sort, or at least asking.
Please, only intelligent answers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:57 am
perhaps it would be both. perhaps on one hand he's thinking... 'there's someone in trouble.. it's someone elses wife or daughter... maybe there's a reason for me to be here after all.. to help them... but I could die... and if I die at least it will be in an honorable way and my suffering will be over.'

he had nothing to lose and some little bit of dignity to gain.  

Calypsophia

Midoriiro Haru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:28 pm
I totally agree with Calypso. However, I think that when you make snap decisions you aren't thinking about a number of things at one time. I think his first thought was the woman, and his second thought was himself.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 am
Here's a twist on the whole thing... Lets say this man was religious... And being religious he knew he would not go the heaven if he commited suicide... I order to go to heaven after so much sin... the way to redeam yourself it to sacrifice yourself for anothers life... So what I think is that from this situation is that he seen the opportuntity to:
1. Save a life
2. Redeam himself of the sinful thoughts and doings
And
3. To ultamately get what he wanted and could not bring upon himself....

Selfish yes but he did save the woman in the end meaning it was not a completely selfish act...

Well thats what I think anyway...  

kyoshiro2

Card_King1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:56 am
It depends a lot of religions don't believe you will go to hell if you commit suicide. or go to heaven because of giving your life for another. I think that because he always put others before himself he didn't even have to think about giving his life for the womans life. He just did it because he was used to thinking about others. If he did think he probably thought that he has nobody to care if he dies but that woman might have children or a husband that she would leave.

I don't really know any of that for sure because I can't read the heart. but thats my thoughts.
Benjamin  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm
kyoshiro2

3. To ultamately get what he wanted and could not bring upon himself....

Selfish yes but he did save the woman in the end meaning it was not a completely selfish act...

Well thats what I think anyway...

yes but in the end he died for a selfish(kinda) reason and he could have walked away and felt even more guilty about himself

also as mentioned earlier he was used to helping others that sort of thing just doesnt go away. just like if your used to petting animals you just naturaly pet them when they let you. the only thing he would have to think about the situation is do i save her or not  

idiotic randomness

KamikazeSkies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:59 pm
Alright, the religious thing wasn't meant to be thrown into this. It was supposed to be a topic only about the man's thoughts, not about what religion he is. sweatdrop

But hey, good thinking. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:35 pm
both, of course. he would take care of the problem of his wanting to die, but not being able to do it himself, as well having the manner of his death have meaning. he would be able to help someone, and that is always worthwhile.
honestly, to the extent of wanting to die, not being able to do it himself, and hoping that his death would have meaning, this hypothetical man sounds like me. of course there are severe differences: i have never and would never attempt suicide, i have not lost loved ones (at least not to death), and my life is not horrible by any stretch of the (normal) imagination.  

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

x sam is in love x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:06 pm
well first i need to know what state he is in?

sorry  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 pm
x sam loves his freinds x
well first i need to know what state he is in?

sorry

Not to sound mysterious or anything, but that part is for you to decide. XD

I told you all the facts, everything else has to come from your own thoughts, including his state of mind.  

KamikazeSkies

Angel_Rowen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:11 pm
In reality, it could go both ways. Seeing a way to aid a woman in need may have trigured something in his mind of who he used to be and finding a way to relive that, he took the chance to save an innocent life. While at the same time, the man also saw a chance to end his life as to be with his family once again in the after life. To him it would have been a win-win situation. He was his old self for a split second and had his life ended faster than he had reacted.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm
KamikazeSkies
DISCLAIMER: This involves some violence, but only what's necessary to get the question across clearly.

There's a man, mid-30s. A very successful man, he is. Beautiful wife, three model kids, and a job raking in $125,000 a year. Anything and everything he wants, he has. Not to mention a heart of gold, where he would put anyone's well-being in front of his own.

One day, his world crashes. His wife and three children get killed in a car accident on the way home from school. The man loses sight of who he is, and also his mind, soon resulting in the loss of his job.

Living a life way below the American average, the man contemplates suicide. He tries, but never can get the courage to finish himself. He instead grows weaker and weaker while the thoughts get stronger.

While walking through the city, he hears a scream from a nearby alley. A woman is being robbed by a crook at gunpoint. Now the man thinks to himself for a split second. What he thinks, that part is unknown. But as a result of that thought, he runs and confronts the crook. This gives the woman a chance to escape, but at the cost of his own life.

The man is shot within seconds.

...But don't forget, this man had constant thoughts of suicide, but couldn't bring himself to do it.

So now the man is dead.
But what were his reasons for confronting the gunman?
- Did he see an opportunity to save someone else's life from being shattered like his own?
OR
- Did he simply see it as a way to die without having to do it himself?

This has no definate answer, it's all in the way you view things.
Take a second to think about it fully.
Remember:
- The man lost everything he had.
- The thoughts kept getting stronger.
- He put anyone before him.
- All of his thoughts, except the ones of suicide, are unknown.

This is a question that I personally thought of, be courteous and don't post it for yourself without giving me credit of some sort, or at least asking.
Please, only intelligent answers.

lance626

lance626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:17 pm
cofeeee  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 pm
lance626
cofeeee

That was lame...and nobody thinks you're funny. Go get a hobby and remove yourself from the intelligent discussion threads, you don't qualify to be here.  

KamikazeSkies

niqi_mo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:56 am
Midoriiro Haru
I totally agree with Calypso. However, I think that when you make snap decisions you aren't thinking about a number of things at one time. I think his first thought was the woman, and his second thought was himself.

i completley agree.. i think it was an act of kindness and then on the other hand he could get two thing acomplished at once
but in my eyes his first thought , no matter how hard his life , was probably the woman and what her familly would go through having gone through that himself, and then he probablly figured , oh what the hell why not get himself killed at the same time  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff