Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Divorce

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hotangelictomboy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 pm
my parents have been married for twenty-four years. Now, out of no where, my mother says that she has been emotionally shut out from my father for all those years since they've been married. They got seperated about two months ago and now my mother wants a divorce and she is starting to date a guy named Dave.

how am I supposed to feel about all of this happening so fast. i've seen my parents together for the past eighteen and a half years. I don't know what to do.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 pm
Hmm, that's really harsh. I'm really sorry. That does sound bad...

Well, it's going to be hard, but if this is what your parents want, you can't really force them to get married again.... But you can try to talk to each of them, ask both of them what they think about it, what they're going to do, and why they want to get divorced.

Who knows? Maybe Dave is a good guy? Have you ever met him or talked to him?

black_happiness

Anabethe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 pm
I'm sorry you have to go through this. it will be hard but for your mother you must be happy for her. When i was small my parents were together, when they were separated i was a bit sad but as i grew up i saw that it was a good decision for her. because staying "together" for kids makes them both miserable. you have to just let your parents live their lives. as much as it hurts.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm
black_happiness
Hmm, that's really harsh. I'm really sorry. That does sound bad...

Well, it's going to be hard, but if this is what your parents want, you can't really force them to get married again.... But you can try to talk to each of them, ask both of them what they think about it, what they're going to do, and why they want to get divorced.

Who knows? Maybe Dave is a good guy? Have you ever met him or talked to him?

I have never met Dave before. I've talked to him (saying hi on the phone). My mother met him on vacation in Rhode Island, but she's talked to him for a year before that.  

hotangelictomboy

hotangelictomboy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:55 pm
meleny7
I'm sorry you have to go through this. it will be hard but for your mother you must be happy for her. When i was small my parents were together, when they were separated i was a bit sad but as i grew up i saw that it was a good decision for her. because staying "together" for kids makes them both miserable. you have to just let your parents live their lives. as much as it hurts.

I've talked to my mother about it and she feels that she doesn't have to explain it to me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 pm
Hm. In my opinion, your mom should talk to you about it; I think she owes you that much. Granted, I may not be the best person to give advice on this because when my parents got divorced I was like, "Okay, whatever." Yes, I was an odd little girl.  

Mink_LaLa

nytshad

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:06 pm
hotangelictomboy

I've talked to my mother about it and she feels that she doesn't have to explain it to me.

The problem with "grown-ups" is when they go through life changing event like a divorce they suddenly have to reform their identity and they psychologically revert to an almost adolescent mindset. Change is easier when your younger because life changing events happen like every other year.
My guess is that when you asked your mom to explain, she went on the defensive, not unlike a teenager when confronted with someone questioning a lifestyle choice. I'm not saying what your mom did was right or even appropriate, I'm just offering a plausible explaination.
Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do to change you parents' attitudes toward life and each other. You may even find yourself being the most maturely-behaving person in the room. One of the best things to do for your own peace of mind (in my experience) is to find a constructive distraction for those times when you just can't deal with them or their drama. For example, I took up writing and sculpting when my parents started ripping each other apart.

As to how you are supposed to feel: no one can tell you that. Acknowledge the feelings you do have and address the source. Talk it out with someone who is familiar with your family but won't take sides. Some times the only way to make sense of chaos is to verbalize it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:03 pm
Every realationship has they're up's and downs, what happen happens....
Maybe you should do some praying it always helps people feel better or you could always express how you feel through music, art, or even poetry.
If you need someone to talk to get a counsler or a friend.

Many kids parent's got divorced, you're not the only one so stay strong there okay?  

Katie_Mibu

5,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200

xxtaintedlips

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:52 pm
Try to talk to your parents. I have been through two hard divorces in my life. It pays to stay close. Try to understand it is the best thing for them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:56 am
User ImageTake my hand, Come with me...

That tough. I've never been through a divorce but I'll try to help.
As many people have said, keep talking to them. Don't shut them out because you are confused. They are still your parents. And be open-minded about this Dave guy. He my turn out to be a good person. And If your mom says you don't need an explination then tell her that you DO. Tell her that you are old enough to handle it and that it would make it easier for you. if it would, of course.

User Image
...Into this Crystal Village

icewolfspirit

Whip

Whip

Rainbow Succubus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 am
Let your mum know how you feel... that you are sad. It won't change what she is doing... after being in a relationship that was unfulfilling for her for so many years, she probably wants to have something for herself now... you may see that as selfish, but think of the many years she has devoted to raising you... she deserves something for herself, too. I remember thinking that about my mum when my parents separated, but now I know she is happy. It just takes time and getting used to a new situation. Perhaps talking to a grief counsellor will help... i know that may sound strange, but having parents separate is much like losing a loved one, especially id one parent moves very far away.

No matter how much your mum needed to separate and needs stuff for her now, you also have a right to be happy. She is your mother, and thus responsible for you. Let her know that you are really upset and don't know how to feel at the moment, and that you need some support too. Hopefully she is reasomable enough to know that although she may be happier, not everyone is as happy as she is about the separation.

I don't know how far this will go in changing the situation... I doubt whether your parents will get back together. I'm sorry it has happened to you, and knowing that you feel this way has actually helped me in a way, too... I really hope things work out for you.

Medic83 rolled 15 20-sided dice: 13, 7, 12, 19, 7, 3, 18, 7, 14, 3, 2, 11, 14, 3, 19 Total: 152 (15-300)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 pm
My parents divorced when i was 15. My mom told me she had caught my dad having an affair. For almost a year i cut off all contact from my dad. Then after that i felt like i was behaving like an a** so i started seeing him again. I am glad i started seeing him again.
As for when my mom started dating other guys, there were 1 or 2 that i thought were cool. The guy that she married, my current step dad is a good man. When i first met him i didn't like him and we fought constantly. Later on we shook hands and burried the hatchet.  

Medic83

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250

soul donut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:53 pm
hotangelictomboy
my parents have been married for twenty-four years. Now, out of no where, my mother says that she has been emotionally shut out from my father for all those years since they've been married. They got seperated about two months ago and now my mother wants a divorce and she is starting to date a guy named Dave.

how am I supposed to feel about all of this happening so fast. i've seen my parents together for the past eighteen and a half years. I don't know what to do.

Everyone reacts differently to these kinds of situations. Don't worry so much about what you think you're "supposed" to feel... How do you actually feel?

I was 12 when my parents got divorced, and for the longest time, I was ashamed to admit...I was relieved. They'd been fighting for so long, and my mother was clearly unhappy, and when she announced she was seeking a divorce, I wasn't upset. I was frigging relieved that I wouldn't have to walk on eggshells around her anymore.

It's hard to see your parents dating other people. Even though I'm the type of person who just rolls with the punches, I have to admit, it was terribly hard to adjust to seeing my mother with a man who was not my father.

Are your parents the kind of people you can open up to? If they are, or if one of them is, sit down with them and just explain how you feel. Be honest, and get it out in the open. Sometimes it's the best thing you can do.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:18 am
I know it's hard hon but hang in there. Things happen for a reason and you will see things will get easier for you. I do recommend talking to your mom though and tell her how you feel and the both of you need to support each other. I went through the same situation, I was the mom. Now me and my kids have a wonderful relationship and the happiness is more than it was before. Good luck sweetie and hang in there. There will be some bad days but in the long run, all of you will be alright. 3nodding  

btrfly7

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff