Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Romance sucks, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thesystemisbroken

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 pm
Ok, here is the situation. I like this girl alot. I would totally ask her out but...there are some issues in the way. I graduate in a couple of days and not long after that I'm moving about 1000 miles away. The problem I'm having is trying to decide if I should ask her out and have a long distance relationship, or leave her alone. I have always heard that long distance elationships don't work, but I don't want to wonder what could have been. Please help!!!!  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 pm
hmmm...i guess you could give it a try if your fully committed.  

Anabethe

nytshad

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 am
If you both go into the relationship with the knowledge that anything lasting will be long distance, she can make that choice too. The only reason long-distance relationships don't work is because one of the people is not committed to it working. My husband and I did the long distance thing for 4 years and it wasn't fun, but we were honest and (in most cases) blunt about our feelings and that helped a lot.

At the risk of sounding like a Dr. Phil after school special: communication is the key. As long as you both know where the other expects the relationship to go, then you'll be able to make the right choices.

And if she's not into committing to a long distance thing, there's no reason you can't enjoy each other's company before you move.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 pm
thesystemisbroken
Ok, here is the situation. I like this girl alot. I would totally ask her out but...there are some issues in the way. I graduate in a couple of days and not long after that I'm moving about 1000 miles away. The problem I'm having is trying to decide if I should ask her out and have a long distance relationship, or leave her alone. I have always heard that long distance elationships don't work, but I don't want to wonder what could have been. Please help!!!!

ok, i'm in a long-distance relationship, and we've made it four months. If you're meant to be together, then you two will last. But just follow your heart. If you really like her that much, then go for it. =)  

makirra-matsukaze

xxtaintedlips

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:45 pm
If she is younger than you maybe you should take into consideration she may find some one else that is closer to home that she can love. Why would you want to tie her up with you when she could be with someone who could possibly care for her. And likewise you wouldnt want to be tired down. Would you want to fall for another girl and break the poor girl's heart you left at home?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:36 am
It kind of depends on the situation. You can't have a long distance relationship indefinitely, but if you are both committed and have a long term goal in mind, it can work. You both need to be prepared though, and have a chance of meeting up again. If it's unlikely you'll see each other again, it would probably be kinder for both of you to not bring up the issue at all.  

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100

thesystemisbroken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate you advise.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:46 pm
thesystemisbroken

I know kind of how you feel with the 1000 mile away thing... and yeh it sucks
But personally you just need to commit and know that you may not see that person for long periods of time, but still feel the same for them you know? Just hold out . and tell your little girl to hold out. ^^

Oh and Congratulations for Graduating  

x_Teratoma_x

6,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

soul donut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:38 pm
Long distance relationships can work. My husband and I dated long distance for two and a half years when he joined the Navy. We entered the relationship knowing we'd hardly ever see each other. We only spent half of our first year of marriage together, because he got sent away for training. I've known him for almost five years, and I think we've spent fully half of that time apart.

And now we'll be married three years this December. 3nodding

It can work. It just takes lots of patience and honesty, and a willingness to listen. If you really like this girl, go for it. You only live once, and wondering about the "might have been" sucks. As long as you both really commit to making it work, there's no reason why you can't do it.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games