Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The art of sounding smart....some people don't get it Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beyond the Satellites

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:10 pm
Well what do you think of this story. I was having an argument here on gaia with another user. The funny part of this conversation was that we were (are actually) trying to both sound uptight. Well he spelled intelligence wrong. :l I say don't act smart, be smart. What do you think?  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:21 pm
I know! I can't stand it when we are talking in a very professional way or about an adult topic, and someone starts typing in "Txt tak" or "l337 5934k" [Leet speak]. It's so annoying. And someone will swear, swearing only makes people seem less intelligent. That is the only reason I do not like Gaia and other places online.

DvnT

DracosPrinny

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:51 pm
I was in a puzzle room, talking with some people. From out of nowhere, one asks, 'y do u type like dat?'
I reply that I like to use proper spelling and grammar.
Then the whole room jumps on me, calling me a 'gay 40 year old' because of the way I type.

The fact that these people exist and that there are more of them out there... Kinda makes me surprised the world didn't stupid itself to death yet.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:19 pm
i've noticed that is quite common in the fishing rooms, where i go now whenever i'm not in the market.
i myself, rarely capitalize my letters, but sometimes it is hard to understand and a bit frustrating when people seem to type the easy way out... >>  

Harlot Queen

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

9,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:52 pm
DracosPrinny
I was in a puzzle room, talking with some people. From out of nowhere, one asks, 'y do u type like dat?'
I reply that I like to use proper spelling and grammar.
Then the whole room jumps on me, calling me a 'gay 40 year old' because of the way I type.

The fact that these people exist and that there are more of them out there... Kinda makes me surprised the world didn't stupid itself to death yet.

only a matter of time, my dear Watson....
it's going to happen unless we few intelligent people rise up and... you know, I haven't really thought a plan out. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:11 pm
Art_and_Music
Well what do you think of this story. I was having an argument here on gaia with another user. The funny part of this conversation was that we were (are actually) trying to both sound uptight. Well he spelled intelligence wrong. :l I say don't act smart, be smart. What do you think?

I understand what you mean, but isn't it a little harsh to imply someone is an idiot after a single spelling mistake. No one is perfect. sweatdrop  

xXSerial ExperimentXx

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:06 pm
Actually a lot of people try to sound smart, not only in forums in real life, too. I have to admit that I only leave mental rubbish to the world, but I always stay open to say sorry.

It's all up to the listener to make the speaker appear smart.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:42 am
-blinks-

I think it's rather wrong to get on someone for one spelling mistake. For all we know he could have just mistyped in a hurry to reply. But there is spell check, ah well, it's not like it's a Resume so who really cares about a few typos?

However I do appreciate people typing in a way where i can easily read and understand things. I can also understand that Gaia in general is a place for people to unwind and do as they like, so if they want to type in some sort of gibberish, bully for them, i'm glad that they've found what floats their proverbial boat.  

Ryoruki

Ethurill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 am
I find it weird to type in text talk. It just seems I'm insulting myself :/

Although almost all of my real life friends use text talk, even though they're all (well...) really clever people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 pm
It's sound advice to "be smart, not act smart".
Though, it is best to not sound too uptight. However, forgive the people who have typos since well truthfully I am one of them.  

Ms_Sirius

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:12 pm
Being correct is better than trying to be smart and sounding stupid because you mess something up. Stick to what you know as facts - look stuff up if you don't know it. Learn. Nothing's more annoying than a smart-a** who uses incorrect grammar or gets their facts mixed up (I should know, I'm one of them ^-~ )  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:25 am
The spelling and punctuation thing depends on the situation. It does look a bit silly if you're trying to have an intelligent argument with someone, and then put in a typographical error. I don't text talk (unless I'm desperately trying to save myself going onto the next text when I'm SMS'ing), and try to capitalise where appropriate (people and place names and the beginning of sentences). I admit I'm not always perfect, but it does bother me when people don't even bother in an intellectual type of setting. When people 'TYpe Lik DYs', it's very hard to take their views seriously. Even if you're not a world-class speller, there is spell check (even on the internet if you use Firefox 2.0 or onwards), which can help with those harder words.  

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100

o-OausflippenO-o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:47 pm
Wait... There's spell check on the internet?! I'M SAVED!!!!

And I myself am guilty of text talk. There are some days that I just want to not have to be exactly correct in everything I say. It saves time, energy, (and in some circumstances) sanity (not that I had too much of that to begin with... sweatdrop )

To go beyond just bad spelling/grammar-- What about the people who just leave stupid comments? Yes, it is irritating, but just like my intelligent friends (and myself) who use text talk, we also sometimes say stupid things for no reason because we want something stupid and random to laugh at. It's maddening to be all intelligent all the time. Do you blame us?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:06 pm
dvn -camilla price-
I know! I can't stand it when we are talking in a very professional way or about an adult topic, and someone starts typing in "Txt tak" or "l337 5934k" [Leet speak]. It's so annoying. And someone will swear, swearing only makes people seem less intelligent. That is the only reason I do not like Gaia and other places online.

I know what you mean!
I understand useing text talk if you're around your friends and in gaia or just hanging out, and you use it, but if you are having an intelligent conversation, or atleast trying to using text talk, you just end up looking like an idiot....

p.s. I hate leet speak... I don't get it....  

eyes-the-jonin

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:55 pm
Erm ... I don't mind people using bad grammar and stuff, just not in forums like the IDT. Making a single spelling mistake is not proof that he is an idiot.

I do admit, I really don't like when people misspell every other words, or use really really really bad grammar.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff