Submit

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 am
So, this will be a discussion on scientology.
Question. What is scientology and how is it a "religion"
Post your views here.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 am
Scientology is somewhat a religion because it is based on belief of occurrences explained by scientific reasoning.

Religion is any specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.  

Scourged Angel

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:10 am
Yes I realize this Jo, but what is scientology. As in what is the belief behind it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 am
The following is said by Irving Hexham; Professor of Religious Studies, University of Calgary:

When I was first asked to pass judgment on the religious nature of Scientology I conducted a small random sample survey of people participating in the activities of the Church of Scientology in Vancouver, B.C., Canada (197 cool . The results of this survey plus qualitative interviews with Ms. Davidson, a number of other local Scientologists, and an examination of a number of key texts published by the movement convinced me that in terms of Ninian Smart's definition Scientology is a religion. Looking at the data again it should also be noted that Scientology also qualifies as a religion in terms of Stark and Bainbridge's definition.

Thus in terms of two standard and widely used definitions of religion there is no doubt that the Church of Scientology at that time qualified as a religion. I have no reason to believe that in the last twenty years things have changed. In fact, if anything the religious aspects of Scientology have increased.

Further, even using those definitions which see religions as at total way of life or act of faith, cf. Rev. F.B. Welbourn, "Towards ELIMINATING the Concept of Religion," Lancaster University, January 1968, and theologian Paul Tillich,.The Dynamics of Faith, London, George Allen and Unwin, 1957, leads to the conclusion that Scientology is a religion.  

Scourged Angel

Kachan36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:36 pm
This is a tough one. From what I understand, those who are not members are not allowed to know the beliefs behind it. And those who are members are not allowed to tell nonmembers. I could be wrong about this. I don't know any Scientologists, nor have I studied the religion at all.

What I have read is that the few people who do leave and write about their experiences in Scientology are thrilled to get away from it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:23 pm
I haven't a clue about scientology. I jus saw a movie with Tom Cruise in it an began to think about scientology.  

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:25 pm
Alot of people like to bash scientology. Which is fine, thats within rights and it certinally is bash worthy, however it seems so 'in vogue' to do it, and your generally making fun of wealthy people whom use a money laundering cult as a way to get contacts, it seems.

The closest paralel you get to Scientology I can think of off the top of my head are the -super- trekkers that are klingons. Like the guy who wrote the klingon dictionairy, and klingon wedding ceremonies, and all that rot.

Basically its a religion created around the fictious writings of one man. Which, arguably, is where all religions stem.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:08 am
Oh. Hmmm.
I am a super Treky. Yay! But I don't pay attention to Klingon dictionaries and wedding ceremonies. The only Klingon word I know is Q-pla.....And I don't think that's spelled right.
Ah! Off topic!  

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100

Luna Xpianus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:53 am
Religion means you belive in something... So on the list of religions ATHIEST shouldn't be there! Cause they don't believe in anything!
IDK what scientology is about, but they are very scary people!! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:58 pm
Ok, so here's what Scientology is about:

L. Ron Hubbard came up with the idea that aliens came to earth. They were lizard beings with special abilities and super intelligence. They interbred with humans, and so only some special have these special I guess you could say particles in them. Once you embrace them, and learn what you can do with them and how to control them- only through the Scientlology church- you become a better person, and in a way, transcend to a higher level.

Sounds a lot like the mitochlorians crap brought into the Star Wars universe to try and explain The Force.

And @ Luna- Yes, we do believe in something... evolution, the big bang, etc.  

Deppfan

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:06 am
deppfan

L. Ron Hubbard came up with the idea that aliens came to earth. They were lizard beings with special abilities and super intelligence. They interbred with humans, and so only some special have these special I guess you could say particles in them. Once you embrace them, and learn what you can do with them and how to control them- only through the Scientlology church- you become a better person, and in a way, transcend to a higher level.

Sounds a lot like the mitochlorians crap brought into the Star Wars universe to try and explain The Force.

hmmm, sounds alot like some of the theories of Michael tsarion, a famous modern conspiracy theorist (whos views actually make sense, in a way....)

oh, and about the beliefs of athiests: I am a christian, and I too belkieve in those things. I see them as explainations of how God did it, not proof that he didnt.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm
azrael the reaper
deppfan

hmmm, sounds alot like some of the theories of Michael tsarion, a famous modern conspiracy theorist (whos views actually make sense, in a way....)

oh, and about the beliefs of athiests: I am a christian, and I too belkieve in those things. I see them as explainations of how God did it, not proof that he didnt.

I know quite a few people who believe the same. And if I did believe in God and all that, I'd probably have that viewpoint too.  

Deppfan

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 pm
from an outsider's standpoint, I would say that any religion that makes people pay to belong to that religion is not a religion.
but I cannot be certain until I know whether or not the belief in question is worth believing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:14 pm
Scientology is founded by a bad science fiction author. Their basic belief is that common people have somekind of parasites in their heads, which prevent the full living of emotions and so on. If you become a scientlogist you'll get those parasites removed during so called "dianetic" sessions.

Also there are several "circles" and you come up to the highest, where you know it's s**t you tell people, by paying ~300.000 USD.  

Verderbnis

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 pm
deppfan

one thing.
notice the bolded portion?
Humans have 46 chromosomes.
Lizard Aliens have who knows how many chromosomes.
if you understood HIGH SCHOOL GENETICS, you'd realize how unlikely the rest of the paragraph is.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff