Submit

TickleMeBreathless

5,550 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:15 am
Please read the following news story:

There are new details in the case of a New Brighton mother murdered while protecting her daughter. Police said 21-year-old Corey Gaustad tried to kill a 17-year-old girl because she wouldn't date him. Instead, he shot and killed her mother.

Gaustad was in the Ramsey County Jail Friday night charged with second degree murder and second degree attempted murder. Details released Friday afternoon show the girl was not the only one Gaustad planned to kill.

Police said Gaustad had a plan that involved killing not just the girl who refused to date him, but her mother, grandmother, father and co-workers.

In the criminal complaint released by Ramsey County, Gaustad told police he thought the girl and her mother were driving to the Rosedale Shopping Center to go to Hollister Co., a clothing store where the girl had worked. Gaustad told police that if they had gone into the store, his plan was to "kill the girl, her co-workers, and any customers."

When they did not go to Rosedale, Gaustad went to their house and waited for them. When they came home later, Gaustad approached them with a handgun.

"It appears that the mother probably saved her daughter's life," said John Ellickson, Deputy Director of New Brighton Public Safety. "She got out of the car, got between him and the daughter, and was shot and the daughter ran and was shot at again by the suspect."

The girl was not shot. She told police that she met Gaustad four years ago at a local church. In the criminal complaint, the girl said that a few months ago she told Gaustad she no longer wanted to date him because he was showing violent tendencies.

"He thought that they had a relationship with the daughter of the woman," said Ellickson. "The daughter's indicating it was social, nothing more than that. It appears that he was distraught over not being able to be -- have a relationship with this girl."

Police said that Gaustad recently got a permit to purchase firearms and bought a handgun on July 10 and another July 13.

Friday evening, customers who shop at Hollister said Gaustad's plan was disturbing to hear.

"Shocking, scary, it's sad that you can't even go to a public place and feel safe nowadays. Schools, malls, grocery stores, it's depressing too. It's really sad," said Rosedale shopper Cinta Preston.

The girl's mother has been identified as Christine Nguyen of New Brighton.

Neighbors said the family was kind; just a husband, wife and daughter. They belonged to the local Jehovah's Witness Church and home schooled the girl.

Court documents say when Gaustad approached Nguyen and her daughter at their home, he yelled at the girl "Why did you break up with me." He also told police that he shot Nguyen in the abdomen because he had heard that it was a more painful way to die.

When police arrested Gaustad in a Rochester hotel room early this morning, they found two handguns and ammunition. They also found an apparent "hit list." Underneath the name Chrstine Nguyen the word "success" was written. Written underneath the names of the girl, her grandmother, and another 17-year-old male friend was the word "failed."

"He has admitted the shooting. Waved his rights to an attorney and admitted the shooting," said Ellickson.

The Columbia Heights Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said Christine Nguyen was a member of their congregation. On Friday they released a statement saying "They are deeply saddened by the tragic events that took place and they expressed sympathy for Nguyen's family."

Police would like to thank a good samaritan who saw the girl running after her mother was shot. They said that person got the girl to a phone and helped her call police.

That 17 year old girl is my old best friend. I haven't really talked to her in years, but we've seen each other a few times and said hi. See, back when we were friends, she blamed something on me that wasn't my fault, and lied to not only her parents about it, but mine as well. You'd know why I took the fall for her if you knew her. To me she was a goddess: She knew fluent french, vietnamese, and english, played the violin, was an artist [basically her parents wanted to get her ahead in life, and since they had tons of money they could]. I didn't really want her parents to be upset with her, so I took the fall. I was punished by my parents, lost my friendship with her, and wasn't trusted for a long time.

I've moved on past that, but now here's my problem: I love that family dearly, and her mom was like an aunt to me. My family and I are planning on going to the funeral, which will be soon, and I'll have to see her [my old friend] again. I don't know what to say, what to do...? I know it's about her mom [God, I still can't believe that happened...] but I hope to god I'll know what to say.

My question is: Should I take this chance to start up the friendship again, or should I just give my condolences and let things continue the way they were going?

[BTW Extra note: Their family is in the Jehovah's Witness religion. The girl is starting to stray a bit. My family is in that religion as well, however I broke away from it a little over a year ago.]

PS Sorry this is so long. I understand if you don't read it all. ^^;  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:27 pm

I just found out the funeral is this Saturday.

TickleMeBreathless

5,550 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Rae of Hope

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 pm
I think you should try to become friends again......I don't have much to say other then that....except "wow". That really sucks what happened to her mom. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:21 pm
you dont need to leave things as they are its probably not a good idea anyway.
It couldny hurt to try and be friends again nw she probably needs her friends more than ever, i'll bet even if she dosent act it it would mean alot to her to have you back.  

Loki god of BS

Mara the Ice Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:58 pm
wow!I draw the line when u kill sum1! THATS SAD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm
I think that you should.
If it doesn't work out you can at least know that you tried.
Cause if you don't maybe ten years from now the what if's will start.
Really what do you have to lose?

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

Kirbisiscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 pm
If you were really that close to her, you should try it. And not picking things from the past and/or were you were, but make a new start.
That start can be the beginning of a new flowing friendship with her.
Be there for her and help her with the loss of her mother. Even if you didn't go to the funeral. I really think she will appreciate it.

If it won't work, atleast you tried and maybe it is not the past, maybe you parted ways in a different way.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Friendships are never really lost, and if you love her enough to be thinking about her and to comfort her, then try. It's the worst losing a best friend, so try and work things out. An trying never hurts.

And I'm really very sorry for the loss. heart

Kaiija

Moonlight Prophet

6,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers