Submit

Are you for or against Organic foods?
  For!
  Against!
View Results

foxxtastic

Dapper Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 pm
I was recently sitting at my desk, eating strawberries. For one reason or another, the thought of "Are these organic?" popped into my head. Of course, I don't really care if they are or not, it just struck me as interesting and so I started delving into the whole 'organic' theme a little deeper.

Why Organic?

It's not like organic foods grow any different. The only difference is that they don't have any pesticides or any of the extra "crap" that gets put into foods. And some of that "crap" they put into the foods is needed for us because we don't get enough of it in our daily diets. Why? Because we don't like certain foods and so the people in food industry have had to find someway to pump it in our bodies. Therefore, there's nothing wrong with Non-Organic foods. So what's the big deal?

Sure, pesticides are "bad." But would you rather bite into a delicious fruit to find that it was eaten inside out by insects or would you rather take the two seconds to clean it off? Personally, I'd rather clean the damned thing. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, is it? Run it under the water for a couple of seconds and you're good. No big deal. And that only really applies to food that you eat the skin of, too. Like apples, corn, grapes, peaches, etc. Melons and oranges are exempt of needing to be cleaned to be "safe" for you to eat.

I don't see the entire struggle for making everything organic. Doesn't that take up more money than non-organic because of the hassle of converting everything and getting rid of the crops that fail because of insect invasions on it? That's why it costs so much for organic foods, isn't it? I mean, for non-organic foods we pay quite a bit less. And they add all that extra "crap" in it, don't they? So why pay more for a food that they do nothing to? It's because they're making us pay for the crops that were lost to insects because they didn't have pesticides and insecticides on them.

So, with that in mind, I would like for you to answer the following questions if you could and would be so kind.
• What's the big deal with organic foods?
• Is there any difference between tastes in Organic and Non-Organic foods?
• Where do you stand on the issue with organic foods? Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:12 pm
Organic food is something to think about because there are health concerns with non-organic foods.

Pesticides are not just something harmless that is easily washed off and forgotten. Pesticides affect the land they are used on and the water they seep into, sometimes with disastrous results not only for animals and the environment but for humans as well. Too often, new pesticides are used without sufficient and/or long-term testing, producing unexpected and often negative results, such as the near-extinction of many birds of prey (including the bald eagle) due to mass use of the pesticide DDT. Also, most people don't sufficiently wash their produce to eliminate pesticide residue. Besides pesticides, there is the concern of genetic engineering.

I think what it comes down to is do you want healthier food or do you want to pay less?

As I read somewhere: "Buy organic, you're worth it!"

p.s. I don't think your poll makes much sense. Why would you be against organic? I could understand being apathetic about it, but to be against it?  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shenyu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am
Quote:
p.s. I don't think your poll makes much sense. Why would you be against organic? I could understand being apathetic about it, but to be against it?

I agree with that.^^ I mean if people were really "against" it they would sell pesticide spray... Imagine the advertisement "Carrots are really yummie, but... sadly some are ORGANIC. HERE IS THE SOLUTION!"...

Ok enough of that. I prefer organic food, but in fact it is very expensive. If I wanted to buy everything based on organic ingredients I would not be able to buy enough food for the month with the money I have for it.
Nevertheless I take care to buy organic food when it is really necessary. In fact strawberries and tangerines are so full of pesticide that the news warned about it (in Germany).

In most cases you do notice a difference between organic and nonorganic stuff. Some people say that organic tastes like nothing. This is because the other food is full of flavour enhancers. Some people even say so without having eaten anything organic...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 am
Organic they do not use harmful pesticides in your food.... Yuck who wants that in your food. Some markets have gotten on the band wagon so to speak and have placed silly things as organic..So sometimes you really do not no if your getting what you pay for..Or the price gets raised because it is organic..  

ladyshari

haligonian

Questionable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:35 am
Organic foods will sometimes taste very different than non-organic.

Take organic peanut butter for example.

Organic peanut butter has oil separation very early on, but all you need to do is stir it.

Non-organic won't have oil separation right away, but it also has salt, sugar, and whatever else in it. Organic doesn't. So the taste is very different. (But it's gooooooooooood.)

Personally, I don't want a bunch of chemicals in my body. But organic stuff is really expensive a lot of the time. neutral

I understand that they need to use pesticides to be able to grow crops that can provide for millions.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm
Why isn't there a third choice for "I don't care as long as I stop being hungry"!?!?!?!

I'm SO kidding sweatdrop

I don't quite agree with the whole, "organic foods don't have taste" thing..they DO have taste, it might not be as strong as their chemically grown counterparts, but they do have a taste or flavor to them.

As much as I'd like to say I'm all for the organics [to save the environment and all], I do have to agree that organically grown foods are sold at much higher prices than the chemically pumped foods. So while I'd love to say that everything I put in my mouth is organic, that statement just can't agree with my wallet, especially during these tough economic times. I need my dollars to stretch, and right now I can't afford to be picky about where my foods came from or how they were grown/fed.
I do however grow some of my own herbs and smaller vegetables. I live on the third floor of a condiminium complex so needless to say I don't have access to a yard, but I make planters [for lack of better term] out of used 2liter plastic bottles and grow them using the 'you only need to water them' method. It's quite nice, they all sit on my window sills happily and grow until I can pick them and use them for my cooking. It doesn't get more organic than that...especially because I water them with filtered water.  

JuilianFai

flavored pencils

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:29 pm
people choose to eat organic because they think that organic food are all healthy.
i don't really care if i eat organic or not, i just eat what tastes good. ;p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 am
flavored pencils
people choose to eat organic because they think that organic food are all healthy.
i don't really care if i eat organic or not, i just eat what tastes good. ;p

I like your signature. I'm following your argument. smile  

idiotic_mT

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas