Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wandering Skald

Dapper Dabbler

6,775 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:17 pm
The Third Eye, The Sight, The Sixth Sense, it's known by a lot of different names and said to do a lot of different things, letting people see and talk to ghosts, getting visions of the future, etc.

What do you think about it? Are all of these intertwined things coming from one source or a bunch of different things that people just group together?
Or to you are they all just coincidence? What are some of your personal experiences with this kind of thing?

For me I've heard a lot of ghost stories from all over the place but never really exprienced anything other than random cold spots in "haunted houses" but the stories do sound belivable

and with the whole visions thing...well I've had a couple dreams that could only be considered visions.

When I was 8 I had a dream where a couple people I knew, my family, and my two dogs were standing on the porch and we were all looking down at this black fox and then it jumped up to the porch which was like 3 stories above the ground and bit my first dog and dragged her down to the ground with it, then jumped up and bit my second dog and dragged him down with it, then grabbed a couple of other people, etc...The creepy thing is the people it grabbed have died in the exact same order it grabbed them and all I remember after my dogs and the first couple of people being grabbed is some of the last one's were me, my mom, my little brother, and a crowd of silhouets of people to the back

Another time I woke up one morning really freaked out because I could have sword I heard a car crash nearby then the next day my friend's dad got in a car crash.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 am

The Sixth sense.

I don't believe in ghosts, I believe in traces of aura tho.

Visions? I think it has to be with how many things can your mind catch, I mean if you perceive more "factors" than a normal person you should be capable of predict something based on the probability of it.

Kagayaku Shirou

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:51 am
well, the average human only uses about 10% of their brain, So the way I see it, all these other odd abilities stem from the normally unused parts. we all have moments of deja vu, while others claim to actually see into the future. In my opinion, that simply means that that part of their brain is a little stronger than in most other people.
It actually seems semi stronger with my family. I have ALOT of deja vu, my mother has prophetic dreams on occasion, and my sister actually can dreamwalk sometimes.....
So yes, I do believe in these "sixth senses"....  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:51 pm
azrael the reaper
well, the average human only uses about 10% of their brain

hm... I hate to sound like an a**, but might you define 'average'? because there's several definite paths that term might describe, so I just want to be clear before making any points.

as for a sixth sense, I refuse to believe in anything metaphysical or implausible. However, if there were a sort of 'ability' that few possess the use of I would argue in favor of subconscious awareness, simply because I find it hard to accept the fact that people are born with something more than those around them. Develop early on? Sure, why not? But not born with, because at the moment of birth, there is nothing that would seem uninteresting or boring because of prior knowledge.

And in case you're planning on asking, subconscious awareness is the ability to control what processes go on in one's mind when at rest, i.e. sleeping. There's one movie that makes use of it, a character takes control of their dream and shapes it to their will, doing what they want in the small space of time before they wake up.
The theory of controlling this is in hopes of being able to unlock the secrets of the mind, and maybe figuring out how to use the rest of the brain appropriately.  

false_fail

Karunoshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:24 pm
I'm actually sort of on the same wave length as false_fail
I think the sixth sense is intuition. That tingly feeling that someone is close to you but theres no physical reason (or at least I don't think so) for you to know that there's a person close to you since you can't see them or hear them. Or a better explanation is when you can feel someone staring at you but you can't see them or hear them. Still that same tingly feeling. This is what I think the sixth sense is.
But I'm also thinking that intuition is a broad subject and I haven't even begun to cover it's meaning.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 pm
"Intuition": You know there's something wrong...

I think there is something like the 6th sense, my grandma for example said "Something bad has happened" as her brother died in combat, during WWII. They have been seperated by thousands of miles and without any possibility about knowing it, she said that something has happened. That kind of incident happened more than once.

Intuition doesn't tell anything in particular, like "A huge asteroid will fall down and smash your house, when you are away", it's more like "Dude, i don't know why, but you're ********!"  

Verderbnis

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 am
Verderbnis
"Intuition": You know there's something wrong...

I think there is something like the 6th sense, my grandma for example said "Something bad has happened" as her brother died in combat, during WWII. They have been seperated by thousands of miles and without any possibility about knowing it, she said that something has happened. That kind of incident happened more than once.

Intuition doesn't tell anything in particular, like "A huge asteroid will fall down and smash your house, when you are away", it's more like "Dude, i don't know why, but you're ******** class="clear">

my mother has had that same kind of thing happen to her several times. for some reason she would get a family member stuck in her head, and she couldn't quit thinking about them, later to find out something has happened to them.
she did this several times with my grandma when she would end up in the hospital. same with several other family members, mostly if they are sick or something...
the biggest incident was with my aunt who lived a few states away. My mom couldn't quit thinking about her, and before long, my dad got a call from family saying that my aunt was in the hospital in really bad shape.
she didn't survive.
Its not like she can control this ability, but when it happens, we know to check up on the person.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:05 pm
I think females have a higher perception in this, because they're more lead emotional and considered to be a "family communicator". Also I find interesting, that those "spiritual" connections come with the time, for example if you have the right partner, one of you two will unlikely start to evolve this way of perception.

I remember back in my younger days, I used to take stuff with me, without any purpose, like wires or ropes and then I really got asked by people for especially THAT stuff, out of the blue.  

Verderbnis

Jina Everlong

6,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:51 pm
My great aunt usta make her living by telling fotunes and im have phcic dreams alot...and yea i beliave in it all angels ghosts demons ther all so reall and living with us im some what of an experst on the subject even tho ive never seen a ghost.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:20 am
I was talking about this the other day, about dreams and a sixth sense. I believe in ghosts or spirits or whatever you feel like calling them. I've seen a few, and whether their just imprints of feelings of moments that effected the world so much that it can't forget them. Either way, it's just alittle weird, and better to be safe then sorry. I have had dreams come true, but whether they're visions or our subconscious self guessing what's going to happen, I'm deffinetly not going to complain about a warning. But that's just me I guess.
-Ciltha  

Mistress Ciltha

klubkyd

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm
false_fail
azrael the reaper
well, the average human only uses about 10% of their brain

hm... I hate to sound like an a**, but might you define 'average'? because there's several definite paths that term might describe, so I just want to be clear before making any points.

as for a sixth sense, I refuse to believe in anything metaphysical or implausible. However, if there were a sort of 'ability' that few possess the use of I would argue in favor of subconscious awareness, simply because I find it hard to accept the fact that people are born with something more than those around them. Develop early on? Sure, why not? But not born with, because at the moment of birth, there is nothing that would seem uninteresting or boring because of prior knowledge.

And in case you're planning on asking, subconscious awareness is the ability to control what processes go on in one's mind when at rest, i.e. sleeping. There's one movie that makes use of it, a character takes control of their dream and shapes it to their will, doing what they want in the small space of time before they wake up.
The theory of controlling this is in hopes of being able to unlock the secrets of the mind, and maybe figuring out how to use the rest of the brain appropriately.

I find it hard to discredit the idea that there is any metaphysical reality other then that which is housed by the subconscience. There are far to many documented cases of extra sensory perception to simply place the many instances in one arena. There are some schools of psycology which agree with the above statement and others which counter it. It has been my personal idea that we as humans in a "civilized" society craft our reality on a daily basis. We then place our ideas of reality and the multitude of sensory input into a subconscious pool where they are analyzed and compared to that which we have been taught. This carving of reality and comparison to the socital reality we exist in creates a manifestation of the behaviors which are acceptiable in the physical space we occupy. The unconscious or subconscious act creates dreams, art and other manifestations which mirror the reality we live in daily while allowing the "true self" to be manifest. Additionally it creates what we know as psychosis and devient behaviors (when a person breaks from what we hold as the concentious of reality). There are those who are inherently better adapted to this type of reality bending/blending than others, these people generally are able to interpret more of the sensory data thier minds come into contact with allowing some of the information to be recieved in manners which are not generally understood. The mind is for all intents and purposes a neurological muscle which can be flexed in several different manners and as we are still in the process of learning and just beginning to truly understand reality, consciousness, and perception. I do believe that there are perceptions available beyond the 5 senses which we as a civilized society have limited ourselves to. Psychology, parapsychology, and endocrine studies all show that we as humans posess many abilities which are latent in the brain and that as we grow as a species these traits come to the fore challanging what we previously held as true. Therefore it is in my opinion no true or real answer to the propsed question other than yes. The disciplines of sociology. psychology and historical analysis all show instances where individuals were able to manifest traits abilities and ideas far beyond that of the given time. Furthermore there is a question of nature versus nurture when one delves into these idealogies. These ESP, are available to any who choose to use and learn to manifest them. Yet, as I mentioned there are those who are better equipped from birth to manifest these abilities much as there are people who have certain muscle configurations which predispose them to be better atheletes, and better mental configuratins which allow them to better process scientific data. I offer this experiment to those who do not believe in Extra Sensory Perception, take 3 friends to the mall, stand with shoulders touching, facing away from one another. Then take notes on the people you see, the notes will be completely divergent emotionally, perceptively and spacially, there will be hints that some of the things seen were percieved through another person, while others will be random and even silly, yet those few notes will possibly alter the idea that there is no joining of perception or alternate means of perception. In closing, teo points. Until one understands the full range of the brain's capabilities one can not discount any perceptive possibilites, with or without first hand experience and finnally, knowledge and perception are truly based upon the individual experience.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 pm
I wouldn't know what to call it but I've experienced it once.

I dreamed of the day my dad announced that he and my mother were getting a divorce. My dream had it down to the steps I took up the stairs and the smell of my toy chest that I would hide in. I was six.

I believe that some people are more aware than others to different things. Mothers have an uncanny knack of knowing when their babies are hurt or are sick. Close knit families also seem to have a specific wave length that they are all on. My sister will call out of the blue when I've had a bad day and vice versa.  

SinginginSilence

Sullen Couch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:22 pm
azrael the reaper
well, the average human only uses about 10% of their brain.

I heard, fom a very reliable source, mind you, that the average human only uses about 10% of their brain AT A TIME.
Or something along those lines.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:27 am
I think everyone has a sixth sense, we've just be told for so long that it's 'just a coincidence' and 'there are no such things as ghosts' that we block it out.

If you ever watch a baby or a small child(like pre-speech) sometimes they'll look like they're watching something when there isn't anything there,
or laugh like someone did something funny when there's no one around.

My father had a friend that would know about things that were impossible for anyone else to know.

We're all connected. It's all a matter of what you let in.

F.Y.I.-Will Storr vrs. the Supernatural is a good book on the existence of ghosts  

CurseofDark

Salty Senshi

14,000 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Magical Girl 50

seriouscat_25

Mystical Cat

19,450 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm
Hmm...I think we do all have a sixth sense...it's just a matter of how we accept it. Most people would just want it to be closed because maybe they don't wanna see things...as for me...I do want to, but a part of me tells that I shouldn't...hmm...I feel like me and Curseof Dark had the same concept or idea...maybe...? or maybe not...?

Another thing...my dad had an encounter like that. In a dream. He was reaching for mom because he felt like he was going to be taken by something(a bright light maybe?) That he was reaching for all of us...then the next day...a couple of days, he died from stroke, and I think that what he is trying to say...

-In memory of dad, R.S, for being a very nice guy , father, and friend...Oh, how I wish he hadn't dreamt of that...

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff