Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
mental evolution

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

last angel served

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 pm
Have you ever thought that evolution might be happening as we speak? I'm starting to wounder if mental illnesses might be the next step in evolution as depending on where you live you can obtain these so called illnesses when born to adapt... and in all truth evolution is the ability to adapt! so is mental illness evolution or reverting us back to apes? you tell me...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:49 pm
Frankly, I don't think so. I have two reasons:
1. Because adaptation is always a response to conditions in order to help the species survive, and mental illness has almost no benefits (depending on the illness)
2. Mental illness has been proven to usually be caused by environmental factors (ex. overstimulating situations causing abnormally high release of chemicals during development), and evolution is cause by mutations in DNA.
I also don't think it's reverting us back to apes, because being further down on the evolutionary tree and having a disorder are entirely different things. In fact, some common disorders are shown to also present in other animals (meaning that it unrelated to how evolved a creature is).

Sakusha-sama

SovereignTyphoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 pm
The process of the human mind is not something I would call evolution. More like de-evolution. The human mind is currently degrading from the past, and evolution holds the connotation of changing/adapting into something new and improved, which we are currently doing neither of  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm
The technological evolution is too fast for mankind, we simply take and adept new computers and media without thinking about its degenerating effect. I know a lot of people who have a severe lingual damage, just because of sitting in front of a display. Also psychology has not a clue that there are different types of addictions, concerning computers, info-absorption-addiction or information-interaction-addiction. Our children will have it way easier to handle computers, because they were born with it.  

Verderbnis

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 pm
I think that yes, it is, but no, its not.

Some species have to go backwards before they can go forwards again. It fully depends on what ever the situation is.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 am
Maybe someday mental disorders will be the norm. They make people function differently. Maybe the way they function will be beneficial to the world one day. If not it just gives the scientists some thing to study. Studying them clues as in on how the normal brain functions. I guess I got a little/a lot off subject, but I hope this gives you some food for thought.  

Esme Eames

beyond_decay

3,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm
I think it totally depends on exactly what mental diseases you're talking about, addiction isn't really something I was thinking of when you mentioned this. There are such a variety of mental problems that are common already: depression, bipolar disorder, etc. But, the thing about evolution is, for a species to survive they need to get rid of all of the undesirable traits. So a species evolving with a mental deficiency would eventually wipe itself out, unless that's what you meant.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games