Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Global Warming? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think global warming is a threat?
  yes
  no
View Results

Dragon in Heart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:12 pm
Well by now most people know it exists, but what is your view on global warming, and how do you think we can help stop it?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:25 pm
I don't believe in global warming. People are talking about how all this pollution is melting the ozone or whatever. I think it's a load of crock. Back when we were full industrial we put out a shitload more pollution than we are now, and nothing bad happened. That is why I do not believe it is pollution. As to why icecaps are melting, well we have had periods of extreme cold and extreme heat. We are going through a heat period, which will end with us hitting an ice age restarting everything. That is >>MY<< reasoning behind global warming.  

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:15 pm
Kazenge
I don't believe in global warming. People are talking about how all this pollution is melting the ozone or whatever. I think it's a load of crock. Back when we were full industrial we put out a shitload more pollution than we are now, and nothing bad happened. That is why I do not believe it is pollution.

The O-zone is a gaseous layer of the atmosphere. What people are talking about melting are the polar ice caps, mountainous snow caps, and glaciers.

America (which I assume is the country you have in mind when you say "we") releases as much or close to as much pollution today as it did in the early days of the industrial revolution. Even if America had drastically reduced our own emissions, other countries (largely India and China) have more recently become industrialized and they are far less cleanly about it.

Kazenge
As to why icecaps are melting, well we have had periods of extreme cold and extreme heat. We are going through a heat period, which will end with us hitting an ice age restarting everything. That is >>MY<< reasoning behind global warming.

I've heard this theory as well, but if the truth is so simple, why do so many prominent scientists from all around the world agree that this is not something natural, but rather something caused by man?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:38 am
Nemesis Erinys
I've heard this theory as well, but if the truth is so simple, why do so many prominent scientists from all around the world agree that this is not something natural, but rather something caused by man?

Because *referring to another topic in this thread* as stated by someone, we as humans are taking the blame for a lot of what happens in the world, and try to correct it to make it better. As for why the truth is so simple, it is because there are rarely things that are actually complicated. They are almost always very simple, it's just people over think and it becomes complicated. I understand that even if it was true there is not much we can do about it, but that just refers back to us trying to put the blame for what's happening on our shoulders. Even stuff we have no control over like natural disasters. Those are not our fault, yet we take some share of responsibility for them.... I think I went off topic a bit smile Sorry if I did hehe.  

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:54 pm
Kazenge
Nemesis Erinys

Because *referring to another topic in this thread* as stated by someone, we as humans are taking the blame for a lot of what happens in the world, and try to correct it to make it better. As for why the truth is so simple, it is because there are rarely things that are actually complicated. They are almost always very simple, it's just people over think and it becomes complicated. I understand that even if it was true there is not much we can do about it, but that just refers back to us trying to put the blame for what's happening on our shoulders. Even stuff we have no control over like natural disasters. Those are not our fault, yet we take some share of responsibility for them.... I think I went off topic a bit smile Sorry if I did hehe.

On the contrary, I would say that humans tend to simplify things that are actually very complex. Things like Global Warming are extremely complex and include enormous amounts of data collected from decades of research. There are thousands (probably millions) of variables, inputs, outputs, and effects to take into consideration. I'd say that the complexity of the issue is perhaps part of the reason we don't have the whole thing sorted out, cut and dry.

I can see what you're saying about humans taking the blame, but there are times that the human effect is at least partially to blame.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, because I am not in any position to make the informed judgment of a research scientist or even someone who has done a lot of studying on the subject and therefore I can't say with any authority that I'm correct. I just think that this part of your argument is flawed.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 pm
We are human beings. We are flawed beyond repair. All the flaws we have make us no better than anything else in the world. Regardless if we can do stuff animals can't, we certainly act less civilized than them half the time, but that is a different subject hehe.

*cough* on subject *uncough*
From what it seems like we are on opposite sides of the spectrum and we will accomplish nothing by competeing against eachother. We would need other peopels inputs in order to make this a civilized convo. Two people bickering over their beliefs does nothing. We would atleast need a third person with a point of view. Until we get that there is nothing really we can talk about on this.

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 am
There is no doubt that the world is warming up, but what the scientists neglect to say is that it has happened before - vikings once sailed across the arctic, which was melted at the time. I think that it is undeniable that we as human beings are being extremely damaging to our environment and we have to do something about that, but I think that global warming is being drawn out. With the amount of money governments put into researching about it each year (a monumental amount) people in the global warming area ARE benefiting - it is becoming sort of like a religion. SO I think that although it cannot be denied that we are damaging our planet, the world has been this hot before, and it is part of a cycle, people are only drawing it out so they can get the profits and benefits.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 am
B09876
There is no doubt that the world is warming up, but what the scientists neglect to say is that it has happened before - vikings once sailed across the arctic, which was melted at the time. I think that it is undeniable that we as human beings are being extremely damaging to our environment and we have to do something about that, but I think that global warming is being drawn out. With the amount of money governments put into researching about it each year (a monumental amount) people in the global warming area ARE benefiting - it is becoming sort of like a religion. SO I think that although it cannot be denied that we are damaging our planet, the world has been this hot before, and it is part of a cycle, people are only drawing it out so they can get the profits and benefits.

Amen hehe. You said almost exactly what I feel, but couldn't say. To not say stuff with repeating what you said, it reverts back to what I said in my first post. The world has ups and downs. The heat of the world is going up, and soon it will go down leading to an Ice Age that draws closer. I do not think it is fully all of our pollution doing it. It's in the scientific graphs. *hopes he did not just rephrase what she said*  

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:46 pm
Lol no you didn't repeat me. I watched a programme on the other side of the global warming story, there are heaps and heaps of scientists around the world (leading ones) who are opposing global warming. However, their writings never get published, or if they do, they are heavily censored and modified so that people SAY leading scientists believe in global warming when they actually don't. Which is really stupid. Just saying, there are some people at the top of the ladder who are benefiting enormously from this 'craze' - I mean, saying we're destroying our own planet, there's going to be another supernova, we're going to kill ourselves etc. etc. brings heaps of panic, panic makes people spend on whatever they think will save them, and this money goes straight into the pockets of those big people, who then spend a fraction of it to finance the 'global warming regime' of TV programmes, posters, etc. etc. We aren't exactly using our resources as well as we could be, but come on. What are their overheads?
wow, long post lol  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:36 pm
Yea I can see what you're saying. It's like the whole December 21st of 2012 which is supposedly "The end of the world." But that is a diff topic in this thread. But yes, there are people who make hella profits off this stuff. As I may have said before, I think this is blown all out of proportion. It starts out small, and as people think more into it they get weird theories they put out, which makes people panic, thus leading up to the conspiracies about the end of the world through flooding or something. I think that truly 70% at least is just hype about global warming, and not really true.  

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

The_Black_Cricket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm
i say it's a total threat.

let's face it people, the environment needs our help, and it's already starting to show signs that it seriously needs our attention.

the environment affects everyone, you know. people, animals, plants. and if the environment is in bad shape, so will everybody.

dengue, malaria and h-fever are spreading rapidly due to the increased population of mosquitos and so many people are getting killed due to these diseases. so, why are the mosquitos breeding so quickly? because the weather and the climate is changing so much, it's making the conditions for breeding turn from one season only to "all year round."

rise of sea levels. do you guys know how many islands in the pacific and how many meters of coastlines could disappear if sea levels continue to rise? too many, in fact. It's too damned scary.

All those hurricanes? that's due to climate change as well! when hot and cold air meet, they start to form a vertex of pressure... and that pressure either turns into hurricanes or tropical storms. what happens? a complete disaster, that's what! how many lives must be lost before we open our eyes???

just think, people. there are millions of people on gaia. and even if just a few of those millions of people pitch in, we can make a difference!

please, take time to read this and consider! no matter where or who we are, what we do affects everybody because we all live on one planet!

so, what do we do? climate change is the product of global warming and global warming is due to the release of carbon into the air, as well as other chemicals. these gases thicken the atmosphere, making it hotter and hotter, soon making the living conditions here on earth impossible. the easiest way to stop or at least mitigate it is through conserving energy, not burning plastics, using biodiesel instead of gasoline and other such stuff. we need to maximize sun power. we need to pressure the gov't and the different corporations to stop funding the use of fossil fuels, especially coal. we need to find alt. energy sources. we need to do all we can or we die!

and by the way, i'm no gov't stooge.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:03 am
The_Black_Cricket

let's face it people, the environment needs our help, and it's already starting to show signs that it seriously needs our attention.

the environment affects everyone, you know. people, animals, plants. and if the environment is in bad shape, so will everybody.

dengue, malaria and h-fever are spreading rapidly due to the increased population of mosquitos and so many people are getting killed due to these diseases. so, why are the mosquitos breeding so quickly? because the weather and the climate is changing so much, it's making the conditions for breeding turn from one season only to "all year round."

rise of sea levels. do you guys know how many islands in the pacific and how many meters of coastlines could disappear if sea levels continue to rise? too many, in fact. It's too damned scary.

All those hurricanes? that's due to climate change as well! when hot and cold air meet, they start to form a vertex of pressure... and that pressure either turns into hurricanes or tropical storms. what happens? a complete disaster, that's what! how many lives must be lost before we open our eyes???

just think, people. there are millions of people on gaia. and even if just a few of those millions of people pitch in, we can make a difference!

please, take time to read this and consider! no matter where or who we are, what we do affects everybody because we all live on one planet!

so, what do we do? climate change is the product of global warming and global warming is due to the release of carbon into the air, as well as other chemicals. these gases thicken the atmosphere, making it hotter and hotter, soon making the living conditions here on earth impossible. the easiest way to stop or at least mitigate it is through conserving energy, not burning plastics, using biodiesel instead of gasoline and other such stuff. we need to maximize sun power. we need to pressure the gov't and the different corporations to stop funding the use of fossil fuels, especially coal. we need to find alt. energy sources. we need to do all we can or we die!

Sorry, I just can't consider this. Talking with someone that close minded is like conversing with a rock. My personal opinion, but it is easier to have a discussion, if the people try to see all sides of an argument, not just their side. If they hold to that one conviction, then it makes it hard to actually discuss something. Sheesh what is with me lately.. Going off topic all the time haha.  

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm
The_Black_Cricket Wrote:

Sorry, I just can't consider this. Talking with someone that close minded is like conversing with a rock. My personal opinion, but it is easier to have a discussion, if the people try to see all sides of an argument, not just their side. If they hold to that one conviction, then it makes it hard to actually discuss something. Sheesh what is with me lately.. Going off topic all the time haha.

The_Black_Cricket
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I think that you DO have a point about the environment needing our help, we are using resources in a rash way. But apart from that, no offence, but this is the view of the typical citizen who believes everything that is told to them about global warming, and acts on that belief without thoroughly scrutinising it first off. the world has been MUCH hotter than it is now before, which they handily 'neglect' to mention on documentaries like 'an inconvenient truth.' I'm not saying in any way that we shouldn't be more eco friendly, just that everyone should think about what they're hearing and WHO they're hearing it from. More often than not, you'll find that the sources are far less trustworthy than they seem - after all, to some people, it's all about the money.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:51 pm
Sorry I put the previous comment in twice, apologies lol  

falling_to_fly

METRO SKiiES

Romantic Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 pm
Kazenge
I don't believe in global warming. People are talking about how all this pollution is melting the ozone or whatever. I think it's a load of crock. Back when we were full industrial we put out a shitload more pollution than we are now, and nothing bad happened. That is why I do not believe it is pollution. As to why icecaps are melting, well we have had periods of extreme cold and extreme heat. We are going through a heat period, which will end with us hitting an ice age restarting everything. That is >>MY<< reasoning behind global warming.

Global warming is a huge issue!!! When we started being industrial, we never slowed down! We are still increasing our carbon footprint on the planet, and we will continue to do so unless someone does something. As for the hot and cold periods, yes, we have had unusually hot periods of time, but the heat we are currently inflicting upon our planet is many times greater than even one of the very high temperature warm periods. In addition, look at all the extreme dry and wet weather all over the world and the increased strength and numbers of hurricanes, tornadoes, and typhoons that have occurred in recent years. This is not a coincidence. We are killing our planet and the United States is responsible for more than 30% of it, more than all of Europe combined. More than all of Asia, including China and Japan.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff