Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
So, anyone have any good book recommendations? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

b l u m i

Adorable Knife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:27 pm
As what the title says. :3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:46 pm
Ladeda~

b l u m i

Adorable Knife

du Mort

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 pm
Finnegans Wake by James Joyce is an interesting read.

Possibly the most unique book I've read yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:10 pm
I know I enjoyed the Twilight series, the Inheritance cycle, the Last Herald-Mage trilogy, the Obsidian trilogy, the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and I think the Enduring Flame trilogy will be good when it finishes (they have the first and second out so far).  

Silvie Verisimilitude

Gracious Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:25 pm
Classics - Jane Austen or Shakespeare (Jane Austen is great once you get past the first few chapters and get a hang of the language, same with Shakespeare)

Fantasy - David Eddings' Belgariad, Terry Brooks' Shannara Series (Start with "Sword of Shannara")

Historical Fantasy - Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Mists of Avalon" - the absolute best!

Sci-Fi - Andre Norton's "The Rowan" (I've heard her Dragon Riders series is really good but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet)

All Ages Fantasy - Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials - 1st book was made a movie... "The Golden Compass"

Romance/Vampires - anything by Laurell K. Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Maggie Shayne's Wings of the Night series. Also, of course, Anne Rice and Stephenie Meyer.

Mysteries - My personal favorites were Caroline Keene's Nancy Drew and Ellery Queen (really old author - around 1930s, but great reads), I also like James Patterson... "Along Came a Spider" and Women's Murder Club.

I could name millions of others - I've been reading novels non-stop since third grade. Msg me if there's a particular genre you're interested in.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:16 pm
Do yourself a favor and read Sarah Monette's books - Melusine, The Virtu, and The Mirador. They're absolutely fantastic.  

TenguHime

Dysfunctional Monster

Invisible Friend

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:08 pm
Try reading:

"Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz

It's about a series of characters, who are classified as Blue Bloods, aka Vampires. There are also Silver Bloods, who are bad vampires.

It starts off boring, but it's addicting near the middle, and you literally can't put it down in the end.

It's a romance/action/mystery. It has some drama, and some comedy as well. Much better than the Twilight Saga.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 pm
Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan... I only started reading the series, but its very good
Unfortunately, the author passed away before completing the series, but I heard that someone else is trying to finnish it for him...  

Jade Ruby

Shirtless Gekko

Neko Nekogami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:29 pm
Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto. It would be a little hard to understand at times thought if you're not familiar with Japanese culture.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:57 pm
Piratica by Tanith Lee
The Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee  

Mademoiselle Violette

WriterPrincess1984

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm
I am currently reading New Moon, the second of the Twilight saga. It's kind of a depressing start but I hear it's worth getting through.

I love historical fiction books. If you're interested in Tudor England, I recommend anything by Philippa Greggory. She is amazing. The Other Bolyen Girl I read in like a week. The Constant Princess and Boleyn Inheritance were also very good.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:58 am
Bluee Insaniity
As what the title says. :3

Any book by R.A Salvatore. He writes great books.
<3 Drizzt  

RueNeko

Screaming For October

4,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:27 pm
I really love James Patterson- so yeah good books. oh the Maximum Ride series is good

Red Dragon and Hannibal by Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs is after RD and before H but I haven't read it yet. i think you should read SotL before hannbal cause I was a little confused.)

Harry Potter (yeah I said it)

Alone or Gone by Lisa Gardner- she writes good books

the Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Shreiber

Define Normal- Julie Ann Peters

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint

done  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:11 pm
The Immortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare's a pretty good series. I only read the first book though but I'm definitely hooked into reading it, but that's my preferrence. The third and final book is planning release at the end of March next year.  

Freya Sirad

5,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100

Takeda Keita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm
Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe is ok. It isn't really meant to be for intellectuals but it is very entertaining and has a good plot about a boy going through tough times and earns himself a possible chance to change it in a new world.

The Crimson Labryinth by Kishi is about a broke salaryman that apllies for a TV job but ends up in a desert like area with no inhabitiants. His only hint is a Game Boy like device that he is provided with at the beginnning of this mysterious "game".  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games