Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Death Penalty Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Medic83

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:41 am
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this topic, since i haven't seen it in this forum yet  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 am
I am opposed to it, for a number of reasons.

-First of all, it is a violation of our Second Amendment Right to life.
-Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, it does NOT deter crime.
-Thirdly, government-sanctioned murder makes us all into murderers, since the government represents us.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Rikku Takarai Too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am

I disagree with death penalties.
So you've caught a murderer.. and as a penalty, you kill him?
I hit you, you hit me back? Same thing. I think I'm gonna stay simple and just say "two wrongs don't make a right".
*doesn't feel like getting too deep into it*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 pm
I was thinking of using it in certain case like rape,murdering a police officer,fire fighter, or ems personnel, and child molesters.

The way child molesters should be dealt with is that after a fair trial they should be hanged by their neck with piano wire.

But there should be sufficient safe guards in place to keep from executing an innocent person.  

Medic83

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250

a scawy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 pm
I don't think it does anything to deter crime, but it slowly gets rid of the criminal population. Prisons are over-crowded as it is, what else are we going to do with them? Build more prisons? Where?

I side with George Carlin on this topic, speed it up, and start executing people who are actually afraid of death.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:40 am
a scawy ghost
I don't think it does anything to deter crime, but it slowly gets rid of the criminal population. Prisons are over-crowded as it is, what else are we going to do with them? Build more prisons? Where?

I side with George Carlin on this topic, speed it up, and start executing people who are actually afraid of death.

The problem with the prison system today is that we're sending far too many people into prison who could serve sentences of community service, probation, etc., especially non-violent offenders/drug users (who would be better served with treatment as opposed to prison).

The solution is not to just start killing prisoners, it's to create a better and more efficient prison system.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Unilover07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 am
destructive goddess
a scawy ghost

The problem with the prison system today is that we're sending far too many people into prison who could serve sentences of community service, probation, etc., especially non-violent offenders/drug users (who would be better served with treatment as opposed to prison).

The solution is not to just start killing prisoners, it's to create a better and more efficient prison system.

I agree with destructive goddess. However, there are crimes heinous enough to warrant death. Murder shouldn't be punished with a slap on the wrist.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 am
Rikku Takarai Too

I hit you, you hit me back? ...

Well you would most likely survive a fistfight.

I am against death penalty, because it's a fragile system of punishment. Of course you are on the right side if you can really be sure that the delinquent commited the crime, to deserve this punishment.

But what are you doing if you executed the wrong one? Someone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time? Paying some money to the family will not bring that life back.  

Verderbnis

Kotori82

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:47 am
In my Death and Perpsective class we talking about the death penality after we visitd the prison and actually met prisoners.

For me it's hard to say. The person did an outragous crime and should get punish. I think if the person wants the death penaility over life in prison than they should have life in prison. That's the worse punishment for that person. If the person wants to live than the death penality would be worse for them. It deterimines on the crime and on the person. Why give someone the death penality if it's not giving them the punishment but an escape from it. That's not fair either.

Before anyone goes for the death penality...they need to make sure they got the right person for the crime. There are stories they arrested the wrong person and they were found guility than later on they realize they were inncocent like 20 years later. They better be right before anyone goes for the death penilty

The death penaility should only be for certain crimes.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:44 pm
I just recently had this discussion in school. Anywho, it's sort of like an endless, macabre cycle. If you kill someone for murdering someone, it sort of makes you a murderer. But maybe not. Here's a quote from a book I read a few years ago.

"Some who live deserve death, and some who die deserve life. But can you give that to them? Then do not be so quick to deal out death in the name of justice. Even the wise cannot see all ends."

Kotori82 has a point. Living with what they have done, would be more of a punishment, then letting them escape with death. I am sort of neutral about the death punishment. It's hard to say if I'm for or against.

fingerpuppet mafia

Medic83

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:46 am
Interesting points raised here!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm
I believe a prisoner should have a choice: Death Penalty or life in prison. Some can't stand to be in a place such as prison. Some are extremely antisocial, couldn't stand all of the people. Some are extremely social, and couldn't stand the lack of people.  

Tagga

Greedy Capitalist

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Huh...
Such conflict...

The Death Penalty should go to extreme offenders, like Medic83 suggested.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:36 pm
Unilover07
destructive goddess
a scawy ghost

I agree with destructive goddess. However, there are crimes heinous enough to warrant death. Murder shouldn't be punished with a slap on the wrist.

I agree, but Life In Prison isn't exactly a slap on the wrist.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:41 pm
-poisonous milanos-
"Some who live deserve death, and some who die deserve life. But can you give that to them? Then do not be so quick to deal out death in the name of justice. Even the wise cannot see all ends."

I love that quote.

The way I see, we are supposed to be punishing them for a crime, yet here we are perpetrating the most unforgivable crime against them?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff