Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What is the difference between pretty,cute, and beautiful? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What would you prefer to be called?
  beautiful
  pretty
  cute
View Results

E.Beth

Apocalyptic Codger

19,050 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:08 pm
I personally think beautiful is overated. Cute or pretty is better because guys don't tend to think "She's so cute/pretty but I have no chance with them". That seems to happen with Beautiful though.

What do you think? And what do you define them as?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:30 pm
I agree with you. But I also disagree. I like someone calling me beautiful when I'm feeling really crummy. Otherwise I like when people say pretty and cute because it makes me feel all giddy and stuff. Beauty is not something I want someone to recognize me for. I want them to fall inlove with the real me.  

alphafemale76

Kotori82

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:38 am
I think beautiful as someone like the old time actresses from the 20s to 40s. The way they possed and how they were dressed that's beautiful.

An average day person pretty and cute works.

Cute is adorbale something you want to pinch there checks.
Pretty is that they look good and it's rate higher than cute.

(I hope I make sense)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 pm
You want to know what's overrated? Hot, sexy, smoking...those words are overrated.
I think cute is something that you call little girls. Young girls that are cute with their ponytails or whatever it is that they are doning at the time. (All depends on the generation I guess) Guys that use cute to describe older girls I think are morons and don't really think about what comes out of there mouth before they say it. Kind of guys that I don't like to deal with, which is most of them but there are some out there that aren't that bad.
Pretty is used for those girls that are like yeah pretty whatever but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have morals. They could be the nastiest girls you have ever met. But not always, when I also think of pretty I think of those sort of shy librarian type girls that need to get their heads out of their you know what and smell the freaking coffee...It's called reality girlfriend.
Beautiful to me I think should rarely be used but because people don't think the way I do it won't ever be that way. Beautiful doesn't just mean that who this comment is being thrown at is attractive but they have a mind and morals to go along with it. Beautiful to me means so much more then the way people use it today.  

l-Ha_Chan-l

8,000 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Invisibility 100

SkyZoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 pm
In these modern times, pretty and cute seem to be used on the same level with cute meaning that you look how an accessorie or someone looks. But also, I would see guys call girls they think are pretty, "Cute".

The way I used to always think of it is:
Pretty: Used when you don't want to use the word "beautiful"
cute: small and adorable
Beautiful:A little stronger than "pretty". Today, it seems people who use this word, really have to mean it. It's not an everday word in a relationship unless it gets that deep.
Or use it if you're into proper English.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 am
alphafemale76
I agree with you. But I also disagree. I like someone calling me beautiful when I'm feeling really crummy. Otherwise I like when people say pretty and cute because it makes me feel all giddy and stuff. Beauty is not something I want someone to recognize me for. I want them to fall inlove with the real me.

man, you preech the truth! that is excatlly what i want a guy to think of me and i know one who does. biggrin  

ashsnowgirl11

Kiku Flower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:25 pm
i agree and i think that beautiful and pretty mean like the same thing like the other day a guy was like your really pretty no your beautiful and i think they mean the same thing so yeah biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 pm
It's all personal opinion of what is what and who is what.

Seriously though, I think Kazuki Nakata's avatar is beautiful.  

Tagga

Greedy Capitalist

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 pm
I think that beautiful is kinda a supermodel thing
Pretty is a girl next door thing
cute is a lolita thing  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Here is a really descriptive form of each word that I'm going to come up with right now =D

Pretty is someone whose features are a little more pleasing to the eye than the average plain looking person. For instance, someone who has nice lips or eyes, or cheekbones, or hair, or anything that makes them stand out in a positive way that is pleasing to the eye.

Cute is someone who has the characteristics of what 'cute' generally means. For example, big eyes, short or tiny figure, etc. although it can also be used for little kids and whatnot. Calling someone older 'cute' means that they hold some of the characteristics of being younger as in the characteristics mentioned before (big eyes, small frame, etc. most children have these things ) but that they aren't necessarily 'pretty'.

Beautiful is someone that stands out even more than the 'pretty' person, usually someone who has a majority of finer features. They are more than simply pretty and usually stand out to everyone around them due to the many positive qualities of their appearance.

That is the best I cam come up with right now, but keep in mind that these are only some physical descriptions. Not just people, but objects or animals, can be cute and pretty as well and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hope this was good enough ;]  

BeatingxxHeartxxBaby

Captain Gelatin

5,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:02 pm
Kazuki Nakata
You want to know what's overrated? Hot, sexy, smoking...those words are overrated.
I think cute is something that you call little girls. Young girls that are cute with their ponytails or whatever it is that they are doning at the time. (All depends on the generation I guess) Guys that use cute to describe older girls I think are morons and don't really think about what comes out of there mouth before they say it. Kind of guys that I don't like to deal with, which is most of them but there are some out there that aren't that bad.
Pretty is used for those girls that are like yeah pretty whatever but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have morals. They could be the nastiest girls you have ever met. But not always, when I also think of pretty I think of those sort of shy librarian type girls that need to get their heads out of their you know what and smell the freaking coffee...It's called reality girlfriend.
Beautiful to me I think should rarely be used but because people don't think the way I do it won't ever be that way. Beautiful doesn't just mean that who this comment is being thrown at is attractive but they have a mind and morals to go along with it. Beautiful to me means so much more then the way people use it today.

Thank you, physical appearance definately plays a part, but when I think of beauty I see open minded, intelligence, someone that I can have a solid duscuussion with, I see someone with views and theories to support them, but who can see both sides of everything.

Intelligence is key to beauty, not just physical traits, as well as personality, and such.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:10 pm
To me, it depends on how it's used, and who is using it.
Your boyfriend:
"Your Pretty" is just a compliment, it's something to say to boost spirits.
"Your Cute" is another way of saying "I like how that skirt compliments your hot legs" or a variant of this.
"Your Beautiful." Your going on a date and he looks at your face, full on, and thinks your both pretty and hot, he's not singularly saying 'lemme in!', if you know what I mean.

But if it's someone else, it depends on who you mean.

DvnT

Kanzengensou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm
To me the words pretty and cute are just used on artificial people. Like a girl who came into my work the other day. She was pretty but it was all make up and whatnot and she was a brat towards her parents. Beautiful to me means that the person's true essence is beautiful not just their looks. Yeah looks can be important to some people for a relationship but in my case the person only grows more attractive the more i get to know them and their personality. i hope that makes sense to you guys.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 pm
cute is more youthful, like little kids.
pretty is...kinda plain, I guess. to me, anyway.
beautiful is more breathtaking.  

Jay Robyn

beautiful expression

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:06 pm
I think being beautiful means more than just being pretty. Being beautiful has a lot to do with being decent in the inside as well as decent looking. But to tell you the truth you hear "beautiful, pretty, and cute" all the time. If a guy were to comment on my physical features, I'd be more impressed with him calling me "Breathtaking" heart  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff