Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Can you really define normal? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BananasRgood4u

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:30 pm
I was once told by somebody to be normal. That person told me that I was crazy.

It's a strange concept. Sometimes it makes me frustrated. So I would like to know what other people think about the word 'normal'.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:49 pm
the only things I see as normalcy are the laws of physics and other laws that don't change. If you say normal has nothing to do with insanity though, than I say being normal is over rated.  

Zivillyn

7,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

BananasRgood4u

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:04 pm
Zivillyn
the only things I see as normalcy are the laws of physics and other laws that don't change. If you say normal has nothing to do with insanity though, than I say being normal is over rated.

I really think you are right. Though, there are people who believe that being insane departs from proportion or moderation. So they think that being crazy is not normal. Normal is a word that is misused. I think as humans, we feel more comfortable if something has a name. There is a constant need to label things.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:52 pm
normal for some people, like eating monkeys, is completely abnormal for others. NORMAL has no set deifinition  

Zivillyn

7,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 pm
In the United States, "normal" is whatever is on MTV. If you aren't following popular culture, then you are not normal.

Whatever is the dominant group in the nation defines the normal for that nation...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 am
Normal, in terms of behavior, simply means that you obey society's expectations to the best of your ability. It also means that you have the ability to look and act enough like the majority to pass tolerably well.

I gave up on trying to be Normal years ago.  

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:02 pm
"Normal" is a frame, defined by a person or a group of persons, basing on their own point of view.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 pm
Charles Dodo
Normal, in terms of behavior, simply means that you obey society's expectations to the best of your ability. It also means that you have the ability to look and act enough like the majority to pass tolerably well.

I'll be honest. Personally, I find it very hard to let go the idea of being normal. Saying that one should stop being normal sounds... strange. Maybe that's not the right word. However, if one stops being 'normal', does that mean you will start to become insane?
I don't think one will become insane, but then they just wouldn't be 'normal'. It's hard to really explain my thoughts. I try to give up being normal, but there is always something holding me back. Maybe it's the expectation of others... I'm not sure...  

BananasRgood4u

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 pm
BananasRgood4u
Charles Dodo

I'll be honest. Personally, I find it very hard to let go the idea of being normal. Saying that one should stop being normal sounds... strange. Maybe that's not the right word. However, if one stops being 'normal', does that mean you will start to become insane?
I don't think one will become insane, but then they just wouldn't be 'normal'. It's hard to really explain my thoughts. I try to give up being normal, but there is always something holding me back. Maybe it's the expectation of others... I'm not sure...

We are, each and every one of us, as God made us to be. I do not say "Stop being normal", rather I say be yourself. If who you are happens to be a "normal" person then count yourself lucky. As for myself I would have to try to become further from normal, though sensibly I do prefer not to reveal some of the stranger aspects of myself to the world.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:02 pm
I agree with Charles; God made each of us in his own way. Besides, everyone has different meanings of normalcy. What one person may think of as normal, another may think as crazy or weird. I'm always told that I'm weird, but you know what I say? "Thanks"

Lunastar324

Friendly Citizen

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Zivillyn

7,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm
BananasRgood4u
Charles Dodo

hey, what have you got against insanity??  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:00 am
Zivillyn
BananasRgood4u
Charles Dodo

hey, what have you got against insanity??

I don't have anything against insanity. I just can't find a better word to explain being not normal. I guess being not normal doesn't necessarily mean insane/crazy/weird. Now I think being not normal is probably just being one self. Having your own personality and thoughts that represent an individual. I think I have better things to concentrate on. I don't think I should be worrying about what other people think about me.  

BananasRgood4u

Maximo_Cassio

3,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 pm
Forgive me if I jump in
Normal is a point of view of society it self, a common standard on how one needs to behave or act around others. Still is goes against are own natural nature. Even do some time we have the feeling of fitting in are own personalities and behaviors makes us in the eyes of society to be un-normal.
I like this subject because it makes you think, what is normal after all. Wouldn't normal be aim more clearly to ones owns personal experience, being normal to you will never be normal to some one ells with deferent views of life.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:07 pm
I frankly find normalcy to be an overrated concept.
Khalida, I'm American, and yet, I'm not offended by that, but I'm not surprised about my indifference, either.

I think that the definition of normal differs from person to person.
I choose not to use the word in conversation, for it contradicts my personal philosophy.  

Sullen Couch

BananasRgood4u

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm
Maximo_Cassio
Forgive me if I jump in
Normal is a point of view of society it self, a common standard on how one needs to behave or act around others. Still is goes against are own natural nature. Even do some time we have the feeling of fitting in are own personalities and behaviors makes us in the eyes of society to be un-normal.
I like this subject because it makes you think, what is normal after all. Wouldn't normal be aim more clearly to ones owns personal experience, being normal to you will never be normal to some one ells with deferent views of life.

I don't mind at all. I think it's nice that there are various answers for my question.
Would you think etiquette plays a role in normalcy? I mean having courtesy: to say apologive, to greet people, to excuse yourself, etc.
I think that they really isn't an excat definition of normal. So many things have to be considered. But you are right, people don't have the same views on whats normal and what isn't normal.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff