No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
I have a question! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So the person in the alien clinic is . . .
  a new person even if they are a perfect copy.
  the same person, they're consciousness is continued.
  very lucky the aliens have taken an interest in them.
  a computer simulation.
  someone I don't know.
  me.
  I don't know.
View Results

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:38 am
So let's say that you are about to die in a horrible accident but just as you are about to be smashed to bits some aliens with unbelievably advanced technology scan your brain and copy your memories and state of mind. Then they grow a perfect copy of your body in a highly advanced body growing vat so that they can reinsert your memories and consciousness into the brain of the new body.

Six months after your body was horribly mangled killing you instantly you or the copy of you wakes up in the alien clinic where they explain what they have done and how they saved your consciousness by transplanting it into a copy of your original body.

So is the person in the new body the same person as the one who was killed in the accident or are they a new person who is a perfect copy?

Remember, the person who has the new body remembers everything that has happened in the accident person's life perfectly. They remember the day of the accident as though it were yesterday.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:41 am
According to my beliefs its a new person, because the path of the one that died ended the day he died, so the other person with your memmories would be like you but not you, because it didnt die :3  

Kagayaku Shirou

spearquest

Aged Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:44 am
the copy version of you would be a new being, living their own life to it's own conclusion. people can have the same memory, but each person is different. the original died and the new life, the copy, merely inherited the memories.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:45 am
Alone in the Bright
According to my beliefs its a new person, because the path of the one that died ended the day he died, so the other person with your memmories would be like you but not you, because it didnt die :3

So if they go to the original person's home should they be or not be allowed to continue the life that the original person left off?  

Strideo
Crew

spearquest

Aged Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:49 am
Strideo
Alone in the Bright

So if they go to the original person's home should they be or not be allowed to continue the life that the original person left off?

it would be the same and different for them. they see the same person they knew, and life would continue for them. but they know what happened, so they could be uncertain about how to treat you. but given time, life goes on for them with that person with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:52 am
spearquest
Strideo
Alone in the Bright

it would be the same and different for them. they see the same person they knew, and life would continue for them. but they know what happened, so they could be uncertain about how to treat you. but given time, life goes on for them with that person with it.
agreed.  

Kagayaku Shirou

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:55 am
spearquest
Strideo
Alone in the Bright

I'm not sure I get that last sentence. sweatdrop

But would that be a yes?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:00 am
Strideo
spearquest
Strideo
Alone in the Bright

But would that be a yes?

yes. the people would be hesitant around the copy knowing what happened. do they want to bring up the subject of what happened? is this person who looks like the one they know, knows what they know, and is in every way the one they know except the fact that he was born differently? they would treat the copy like a stranger at first feeling the grief of the original. but in their eyes, that person was sent back to them. life would continue in nearly the same way.  

spearquest

Aged Streaker

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:03 am
spearquest
Strideo
spearquest
Strideo
Alone in the Bright

But would that be a yes?

yes. the people would be hesitant around the copy knowing what happened. do they want to bring up the subject of what happened? is this person who looks like the one they know, knows what they know, and is in every way the one they know except the fact that he was born differently? they would treat the copy like a stranger at first feeling the grief of the original. but in their eyes, that person was sent back to them. life would continue in nearly the same way.

Oh okay. 3nodding

I think in the end it would be hard to resist accepting the "clone". If the original had a wife and child whom they loved very much for example then the clone would remember every moment the original had spent with them and would also love them very much. I imagine it would be quite painful if the copy were rejected.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:07 am
the other question would be, if you were the copy, would you want to try to relive your old life or even allowed to?
you feel you are in every way the same as the original. why should you be shunned from everyone you know and love? but what if they don't except you. can you leave and start your life over, leaving everything you know and love behind? if you had to do that, your very life was stolen from you to begin with, just because you are a copy and not the original. what was the point of even coming back?

both questions are a small reason some people are against cloning.  

spearquest

Aged Streaker

Captain Ninja Panda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:11 am
The same person?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:13 am
I think they'd be the same person. Its the same consciousness right?

This reminds me of Kashimashi XD
(A Manga where a boy gets hit by a spaceship, so the aliens try to fix him but accidentally make him a female XD)

YesterDaysNews

MagicMushroom55

Tipsy Tycoon

7,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:17 am
I think it would still be considered "you" because its basically like a brain-transplant, and in that situation I think "you" would be defined by your thoughts/memories, not by a physical shell.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 am
I think I must conclude that the copy is a new person.

I found it tempting to believe that the copy might be a continuation of the original but here's the problem. What is to stop the aliens from producing as many copies as they please? What if they made two copies instead of one? Could you argue that one is a continuation of the original and the other is a new individual? Or are they both continuations of the original? If they both are then we would need to believe that there can be multiples of ourselves all of whom would diverge and become different.

But to the person who is a copy if they were never told that they were a copy they would believe they were the original. They would never know the difference. In fact no one would if the whole thing were kept secret. Hmmm. confused  

Strideo
Crew

Kagayaku Shirou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:46 am
Strideo
I think I must conclude that the copy is a new person.

I found it tempting to believe that the copy might be a continuation of the original but here's the problem. What is to stop the aliens from producing as many copies as they please? What if they made two copies instead of one? Could you argue that one is a continuation of the original and the other is a new individual? Or are they both continuations of the original? If they both are then we would need to believe that there can be multiples of ourselves all of whom would diverge and become different.

But to the person who is a copy if they were never told that they were a copy they would believe they were the original. They would never know the difference. In fact no one would if the whole thing were kept secret. Hmmm. confused
That last question is similar to "if a tree falls and no one knows, does it make any sound?" the not knowing you are copy doesn't make you the original, because the fact that the original is now been eating by worms and the copy living makes the different.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff