Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Religion?
  Yes! I belive in it!
  Nah, I'm atheist.
View Results

sugarynsweetapplepie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:36 am
Ok, I'm from a predominantly Catholic family and I simply don't believe in God and the such. I'm 14 years old now, so I'm taking confirmation lessons. I've already told my parents I don't want to take lessons anymore, but they simply got mad and told me that this is serious. I guess they thought I was joking, but I'm not. I really don't want to take anymore lessons in something I don't believe in.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my parents to listen to me?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:40 pm
If you tell them you don't believe in god they will just push the church on you more. There's really not a way to get out of this. All i could say is to get over with it and all will be fine...hopefully.  

Anabethe

Kiradalia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:32 pm
I have to agree. Unfortunately, if you live in a Christian household, but don't believe in it yourself, you're put in quite the pickle. Regrettably, you have to tag along until you move out when you come of age. So, again, you may have to just grin and bear it, so to speak...Religion is one of those things that people feel intensely opinionated about. Especially if it's a parent trying to get their child involved with their religion...Actually, if I may ask, when did you start not believing in God? Or did you never take in Christianity from the start? If it was when you started confirmations, maybe you just don't want to be confirmed?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:42 pm
instead of just saying i don't want to do it sit them down and talk to them explain why it is u don't want to do it and make sure that they know ur serious u might want to remind them that freedom of religion is ur constitutional right. if they are good parents they will listen. im not garunteeing anything but it's been my experience that when u want something from an adult u have to go about it in an adult manner  

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Verone Devlin

4,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm
If you are a strong athiest then you should display it to them.
Everyone has the right to believe in what they believe so your parents shouldn't force you to believe in God and should accept your own opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:44 am
I think this is where you need to take into account your parents feelings a little when you talk to them about it. Yes, you have every right to believe whatever you want to believe, but as hippie34 says, u're gonna have to try and do it in an "adult" manner... whatever that is, cos adults are as bad as kids most of the time anyways razz

No, you don't have to "grin and bare" it all. And no they shouldn't really try and force you to believe what they believe, but they are parents, they all do it razz

Maybe if your parents aren't being receptive together, approach the one of them by themselves. However, as meleny7 said, there is a chance they will try harder to "make" you believe.

Or, you can just grin and bare it till you are able to move out and live your life how you want to. It's up to you really, but you're gonna have to try and get them to understand at some point pirate

...or something like that biggrin just my two pence sweatdrop  

Hobo Lord Ikari

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 am
I'm living with false hope

And my eyes just want to see a ray of light

I'm gonna find it in my fairy tale...

If Catholicism is really bad for you, but your parents are against you having no religion, they might still be open to you having another religion. It depends on how dogmatic they are in theirs.

I'm somewhat of an atheist/agnostic, and my mom's Christian. She's pretty open-minded, but she thinks it's not so good to have no kind of spirituality in my life. However, that doesn't mean she makes me go to Christian church. Instead, I sometimes go with my friend who's a Buddhist to her religious services. I like Buddhism quite a bit, at least more than I like the preacher at my mom's church (they recently switched preachers, and I actually used to go with her at times like Easter and Christmas Eve, but I can't take this new guy).

So maybe if you find another religious place to go, your parents might be okay with that more than they are with you having no religion.

If they're the type of religious people who are really convinced that you'll go to hell if you're not right next to them in church... I'm sorry, I don't know what to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 am
I'm a Jew who goes to Catholic School, and I just grin and bear it. Just 4 more years till you can move out.  

izzib1202

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff