Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
what are some of the festivals your ethnic group celebrate?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

holy alma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 am
i am an Ewe from Ghana, specifically from Mepe, we celebrate Apenoto during the month of August. My mother's family love to celebrate Easter we have a lot of easter parties razz razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:33 am
In Australia we "celebrate" Anzac Day, in recognition of getting soundly owned by the Turks at Gallipoli in WW1. And we celebrate Australia Day (otherwise know as invasion day) which is the date of the arrival of the first european convict ships for settlement.

We don't have any proper festivals...  

Areliana

Rainbow Fairy

10,700 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Pieversity 200

Erebus Haze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:43 pm
In Haiti January First is the Independence Day becuase when the Haitians declared war, January First fell on a Sunday so it was both Holy and it ushered in a new year for them. A year of freedom. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:08 am
Erebus Haze
In Haiti January First is the Independence Day becuase when the Haitians declared war, January First fell on a Sunday so it was both Holy and it ushered in a new year for them. A year of freedom. 3nodding
as for as ghanains, sixth March is our independence day sixth March was the day we were sold into slavery, so our forefathers chose that day to mark our Independence. biggrin  

holy alma

xXDark_Vampire_LoverXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm
In Israel, we celebrate Channukkah. It's also known as the festival of lights. It marks the eight days the oil burned in the menorah, when it was only supposed to burn for one night.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:05 pm
The Chinese have 2 major holidays, August Moon and Chinese New year which is celebrated in late January or early February due to the Lunar Calender. The US uses the Solar one. There is a legend about the Chinese New year about animals and how God chose them to be in a part of a banquet. The rat was the first animal who got there first, so the first year was dedicated to the rat. Next came the ox,tiger, hare, dragon, snake,horse, ram, monkey, rooster, dog and lastly the pig. (in some there the cat is mention, but he didn't make it because the rat tricked him into believing the banquet was a day later). These animals are basically what the Chinese use to represent the year. For example 2009 is the year of the Ox and next year is the year of the Tiger.  

Mei-chwan

6,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Arachnakid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 pm
I am of generic Scandanavian descent (I have family in all those countries), so I have to deal with the annual eating of Lutefisk. Lutefisk is literally fish that has been soaked in lye, then boiled to make it edible. It's digusting, but for some reason all us Swedes and Norwegians and whatnot think we need to eat some at least once every December, if never again in the year. My great-grandma swore it was the sole reason she lived to be 94.  
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games