Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
why do people feel the need to make fun of other people? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ms Jenna_ Lee

3,000 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:56 pm
seriously why do people feel the need to make fun of others? sorry if this is a weird question i was thinking of it when i watched kodocha in the episode where Tsuyoshi accidently calls his teacher mom and gets rediculed for it...it just got me thinking that people are just plain mean and do it just to make themselves feel better and such..but what do you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 pm
I think that, for the most part, people do do it because it gives them a sense of power, pushing someone below them with words. Frankly, it's all in the head, but that doesn't stop it from becoming habitual. Usually, by 10th or 11th grade, kids only pick on each other jokingly, because all of them know none of them actually means it. And if the person does mean it and gets really serious about it, they generally become the ridiculed one for being immature. Then again, that's just my English class for you. It could be that it's just something the bully got used to doing and never stopped, so they are essentially screwed in life for being an a*****e.

Wow. That became a lot longer than I expected.... ^^;;  

Intelife

Ms Jenna_ Lee

3,000 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm
i see that makes sense.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:16 am
It's the joy of "at least it didn't happen to me", it sounds sadist, but I really like shows like "Jackass", because I see people who are dumb enough to suffer injuries and pain from their stuff.

That's called Schadenfreude

On the other hand there are some people just being assholes, they make fun of people who trip and fall and so on, just to feel good, they only have minority complexes. Ok, sometimes I do that, too, but only with my friends and a portion of irony, so that nobody who knows me would seriously be hurt in their feelings.  

Verderbnis

Ms Jenna_ Lee

3,000 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm
i see i like the show "jackass" x3 but i see whatcha mean about that thats kinda messed up that they would laugh at that even though i sometimes do it too just not much and if i was it was that they didnt get hurt and if they knew i was joking and such  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm
People are mean to others because they do not understand the other's point of view, or had a different up bringing.  

Lus-cloud

Ms Jenna_ Lee

3,000 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:00 am
i see its like the old saying "youll never know a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes" if one did then they would understand what it would feel like to be made fun of in that situation and such  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Yes. That and you have their shoes one mile away from them!  

Lus-cloud

xsunfirexsupernovax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm
because they get treated that way by someone else  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:48 pm
It makes them feel "higher than you." I have lead my whole life with people picking on me or treating me like dirt, yet I feel no hate for them. I say let them feel higher, but know this: You are higher than them for not picking on them.  

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Saint Black the Morbid

1,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:40 pm
It's a natural survival technique we use that has not worn out over our years on earth. We feel the need to lower other people in our standards, Alphas are mainly guilty of that, they need to be in charge, and the way to instill that is to make people feel and respect you, you are better then all of them, and you need to show that. Or at least, that is how it goes in the mind of an alpha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm
To my knowledge, majority of people choose to pick and make
fun of others to better their self-esteem and confidence.
Example: Appearance wise, a bully can come up to the smallest
kid in the lunch room with his possy and demand for his/her
lunch money. The bully can also call out the kid's bad features and
have him/her embarrassed.
Now, the bully's possy will laugh and follow him because he 'seems'
to be all big and bad, but when he goes home, he could be the one
to watch Barney and Dora the Explorer(not that they are bad shows).
I wish bullying would stop but that would be asking a gamer to stop
playing video games.
It's not going to happen.
~Kay~  

KIMANI113

the greatest wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 am
In my oppinion i believe it's a psychological thing when they were probably abused as kids....they want the real person who mistreated them to suffer but tend to hurt those who are innocent.they are the ones who have a troubled past that can't be forgotten as time progresses.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:26 pm
It is probably a psychological thing in my opinion. Most creatures that live in groups or pack have a pecking order or hierarchy. As human we have supposedly developed beyond this need and yet we pick on one another to prove who is superior, just like any other creature we fight but, in our case it can be vocally as well as physically. Its the need to have superiority over someone and know that you aren't the lowest member in the pack or group.  

Yreduasp

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 pm
People that make fun of others... and I mean on a continual, bullying basis, actually have insecurities themselves and thus try to compensate for it by making fun of others. They feel that if someone else is hurting, their pain isn't as bad.

And then there are people who are just assholes. There's no helping them. Heheh  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff