Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
H.S. TO COLLEGE - Tell me its not as scary as i think it

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

intimateobsession

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:17 pm
How do you do you make that transition ? ...... What was it like your freshmen year ? Did u get extremely home sick ? Any advice on how do choose a career ?

Help me. I am going to college next year. I am freaking out. I am excited yet extremely terrified. This post is directed to older gaians. If you want to give me some advice please send me a pm or reply to this post. Pms are preferable.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm going to be lazy and post my answers in numbers, if thats okay with you.

1) H.S. to college, I think, might be similiar to the transition that occurs when someone goes from junior high to actual high. Its scary at first, but once you allow yourself to get used to it and take everything in, things will seem better. Give it time, its a slow process, but its worth the wait.
(Thats just my perspective. I'm not in college yet, I'm still in high school.)

2) Being homesick is completely normal and natural. Once again, I'll bring up the fact that it has to do with slow transitioning. Like, if you've ever moved away, its normal to want to go back to your old house and stay there. Of course, that isn't going to happen, but you can get used to it if you let yourself. You can do it. [:
If that doesn't help, calling family, or keeping pictures of family / friends helps a lot.

3) Choosing a career depends on what you want to do. Like, do you like doing math, or do you like to create things? It depends on what you like doing most, and whatever job offers that is a good fit. For example, someone who doesn't know how to build houses shouldn't become a carpenter, and stuff like that. So ask yourself, would I have fun, or would I like my job if I choose this path? Its a question only you can answer. One of the best things to do is to just sit somewhere quiet by yourself and think about it. Don't think about anyone else but you and what you would do. Look into your heart. It sounds cheesy, but it really truly works.

Hope I helped, good luck !!

minus infinity

Fluffy Fatcat

Nerevar Fatehand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 pm
V agrees with the first part the transition is similar I was a bit nervous going into high school especially after hearing about both of my older brothers hijinx and kind of expected a horrible time since I'm a straight-laced guy probably too much so but this is my first year of college and the it's not as bad as I'd thought it would be it's great to meet new people and hang out and it's not as much of a pain as high school schoolwork.

As for choosing a career find a career you'd enjoy if you like computers go for a tech degree if you like drawing go for graphic design and such but choose something you'd enjoy and can get by on.

Unfortunately can't say much on homesickness since I'm going to college in my hometown but like the transition thing it just takes time and such.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am
To be honest with you the first couple of days are daunting, until you settle into a routine, and then its just... normal.

I went high school, college, and then university. I now live on the other side of the country from my mum and this is my second year away from home.

I don't know what its like where you are, i'm in the U.K and high school here is pretty similair to college. Its just bigger. And they still teach you things, the learning curve isn't unachievable, you just have to work at it. University here though, you don't get taught things. Just told them and page numbers, you need to teach yourself, it can suck sometime.

It might sound silly but i think nowadays there's no need to be homesick. I talk to my mum everyday, i text my dad, i email them, IM them and we send each other pics. It helps. I try to visit every few months, maybe just for a weekend. At first i was home every couple of weeks but it really does get easier.

Its perfectly normal to feel daunted by the unknown, but its well worth the risk. As for what you want to do for a career, just go with something you love doing. I know it sounds corny, but you don't even have to be very good at it at first. I don't think people know what they want to do until they're like.... 30. Honestly, i'm 21 and i'm still like "am i doing the right course?"

I'm sure it'll be fine. x  

roni_ruin

kazeryuu620

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:56 pm
I'm a first year university student myself. I went straight to university but I still live at home with my parents. The dorms were too expensive, and I live just half an hour away.

What's the size of the college you are going to? I'm attending a huge public university (about 29,000 students), so I often feel really lonesome. It might be intimidating, but try and make some friends. Start talking to the person you sit next to in lecture either before or after class - usually a good ice breaker is some kind of remark on the subject matter. Also do get involved, and manage your time well. You're a lot more independent, and your teachers won't go out of their way to talk to you - they do things called "Office Hours" where you can drop by their office with anything you want to say. Do you need help? Do you have something interesting to discuss? Drop by! They're making time for you, so it's up to you to take advantage of that time. Same goes for numerous schoolwork resources. The coursework for college can be pretty daunting, but I'm willing to bet that every college will have educational resources. For instance, there is a tutoring room for calculus that is open to anyone, from 8am to 9pm pretty much all weekdays.

Schoolwork is important, but grades aren't as stringent as in high school. C grades really are AVERAGE. (In high school, C is usually thought of as "bad"). But you should ALWAYS do your best, so as not to leave yourself thinking, "I could have done better."  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 pm
I loved my freedom. It was pretty much like high school again, but with a wee bit more freedom. 3nodding

Everyone gets homesick, you just have to cope somehow.

I commuted to college so it was a bit easier for me than it will be for you.

You don't really have to worry about the first year, you can get by with taking general classes. Most schools have a guidance office that has a bunch of information on careers. They might even offer a class. Or go to the library and do some research on careers.  

Fulkth

2,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100

sandflea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
_________Cause nobody wants to be the lst one there
_________And everyone wants to feel like someone cares
_________Someone to love with my life in their hands
_________There's gotta be somebody for me like that

User Image

I just graduated. And I'm scared out of my mind for next year.
I'm going to the University of Delaware, so it's only 2 hours away, and I'm gonna come and visit all I can, but I'm kinda in the same boat. I didn't get into the Music Program, so I can't do what I want. I want to be a Music Teacher, but I have to audition to be in the program, and I can't do it cause I didn't get in. sad So now I have to find something totally different. sad

User Image

Cause nobody wants to do it on their own _________
And everyone wants to know they're not alone _________
Somebody else that feels the same somewhere _________
There's gotta be somebody for me out there
_________
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:47 pm
It was a little scary for me at first when I started community college ((a few months after graduating from high school)), especially since I didn't know of anyone that was going to the college ((at least in the beginning - it wasn't until later I found some of my old high school acquaintances/classmates that I ended up hanging out with)). But as soon as I started going to school there and got to meet more people, I became more comfortable.

Home sick? Unlike some others who actually move to the area of the college, either to rent an apartment or a dorm, I've never had to do that. Thankfully both the community college I went to and the university I'm going to right now are close enough to home, so I just stay at home. So there's no home sickness for me.

Choosing a career? I don't know about other schools, but for the schools I went to ((middle and high school)) we had specific assignments or classes that helped us figure out what jobs/careers suited us best. Hopefully your school(s) have done a similar thing. Anyway, think about what you enjoy doing, and the jobs that surround that interest ((i.e. I like reading. Some jobs/careers that revolve around that are: Librarian, Writer, Author, Bookstore Owner, etc.)).

*shrugs* In the end, I would say enjoy the ride. It'll start out a little scary at first, but you'll adapt pretty quickly and enjoy the college life. smile And the sooner you figure out what you want to do ((always make more than one plan, in case the first one doesn't work out for you)), the better - especially when colleges and universities can get pretty expensive. Plus it'll be good to know which degree you want to go for too. Different degrees require different classes.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Kotori82

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 pm
It's normal to feel nervous and scary when you start college. Unsure how it's going to be and being in a different enviorment. Before you know it you will get comfortable and make friends.

Choosing a career has to be something you love. You also need make sure there will be job openings after you are done with college. Only you can make that decision, you need to be happy.

For being homesick, can't help you on that. I commuted to the university for 4 years. With traffic it took me 45 minutes, but I stayed for clubs and was invovled on campus. The only few of the commuters who did that.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games