Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
words hurt Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

4ever_lost in_ ur eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 pm
why do people say "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me,"? because i think words can hurt and can lead to bad things. what do you think?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 pm
They say it because it shows that you have to have the mentality to not be bothered by anyone's words in a negative way. They are, after all, words. As long as you don't let them get under your skin and can just laugh it off or ignore it, then they won't do a thing and will usually make the speaker look like an a*****e.  

Drunken_Ninja08

Michael Menace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:46 pm
I like to make fun of ugly/fat people because that way I feel better about myself and to get my friends to laugh. :]  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 am
People may get hurt physically (by sticks and stones), but some people can resist the pain that hurtful words inflict emotionally. They may have strong emotional walls or high self-confidence. True, words do hurt; however, some brush them off and keep moving on like it was nothing.  

Nariana

Hygienic Genius

FoxDemonNarutoGurl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:27 pm
so technically that quote is incorrect. but its also a littlecorrect for most people but even the people that brush off the words don't block all of them so its incorrect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:36 pm
peoplesgirl05
why do people say "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me,"? because i think words can hurt and can lead to bad things. what do you think?
People say that because they think that a cheesy little rhyme is going to make everything better. OH COME ON! This is a new century! No childish sentence is going fix anything! The real thing that you're supposed to do is ignore the person (or fight them. If your school/(other) place sucks, then they won't do anything, like my really old school).  

xXx_takashi58_xXx

4ever_lost in_ ur eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:36 am
Michael Menace
I like to make fun of ugly/fat people because that way I feel better about myself and to get my friends to laugh. :]

Okay thats just wrong. I don't care if it makes you feel better about yourself, thats mean to make fun of other people that way. I don't get why people do that.... scream

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 pm
That quote is not true. Words do hurt people. Sure, sticks and stones will physically hurt you, but words can hurt you emotionally. It happens to everyone, EVEN if you shake it off.  

Digital People

Blessed Sleuth

Yuuki Aoyagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 pm
Digital People
That quote is not true. Words do hurt people. Sure, sticks and stones will physically hurt you, but words can hurt you emotionally. It happens to everyone, EVEN if you shake it off.

i'll have to agree with that, words have power, more then we care to know.
did you know that you can actually drive a perfectly secure person to suicide with numbers and words?
i would know. i've been abusing the english language for years.
(yes, i'm that a*****e who was beating those assholes who were making fun of others) but no matter the reason words, in my opinion, are the most powerful source in the world. without words, where would we be?, writers wouldn't exist, poets wouldn't be able to express there emotions, no one could comunicate like they can now, Chaos. Words can help, words can hurt, but what you say, even the smallest things, have an impact. and though some people have an easier time brushing it off, others will take it harder, the smallest thing can drive someone to hate themselves. getting someone to love themselves, however, is a challenge.
The Easiest task in the world is to hate. because the hardest task in this world is to love: Hate and love will always be opposite, yet they will always be closer then anyone or anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 am
Well, they can in an emotional sense.
Unless you take the time to really examine the insult.
After all, nothing anyone says really means anything.

Feel free to ignore this, if you want.  

Sullen Couch

Cevadeva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 am
They are talking about being mentally prepared for any verbal attack. To show that even though they can hurt you physically, mentally they're words mean nothing and will not hurt you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm
Sticks and stones can break bones, regardless if you want them to or not.
Words can break you only if you let them.
Theres my two cents ^^

axelpwnsuall

3,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 am
Michael Menace

OT: your too pathetic kid, get a life and can you please tell me why r making fun w/ others just to feel better don't you know that you hurt them emotionally? or your too insensitive? rolleyes
*sorry bout this sweatdrop (I'm not a bully nor a loser/nerd,etc) but I'm just too annoyed of people who are making fun of other people just to have fun or make people laugh cuz it's too rude right?*
can't you think of other stuffs to do to feel better about yourself?! question
and what you're doing is really not enjoyable/fun. seriously stare
hope you get my point here... heart wink heart
sorry but I'm starting to feel pity for you because of your petty way to make yourself feel better while hurting others emotionally and making them feel less about themselves. think about it really because it's kinda mean for you to do that kind of thing.
I know you know better than that... 3nodding
btw I like your avi...
heart  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 am
4ever_lost in_ ur eyes

as for the topic: I think people tend to ignore or don't even care of what others say about them, but you can't always avoid not being hurt with harsh words thrown on you always because in some way it'll still hurt you emotionally unless your a real stone that you cannot feel any emotions.  

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

xxxmamoru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:07 am
Michael Menace

Lmao.

That made me laugh. xD  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas