Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Have we forgotten to live?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yuuki Aoyagi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 pm
The other day while i was in the process of reading Walden I couldn't help but admire his work, ideology's, and Theories. (i must say i've developed a deep respect for the man) But now, on to my reason for posting this Topic: i was at the part where the Author, Henry David Thoreau, talks about Luxury & Necessity (those of you who've read Walden know what i'm talking about), and i have to agree. While we, the Future Generation, Laugh and mock past generations for their "Barbaric" lifestyles', it got me thinking, were past generations not very similar to us?, were they not the most "Advanced" of their time?.
And whilst (i choose to use this word in stead of "While", simply by preference, no offense intended) we rely so Heavily on our "Necessity's" such as: Indoor plumbing, Air Conditioning, and
Electricity. These things might have been considered a "Luxury" in past generations, i assume it was abnormal to have even one of these things, let alone all of them! (i'm refering to the 19th-20th century(s)) Now, it's considered Abnormal not to have them, and although we've come a long way, i have to wonder, are these Past Generations really to be pitied and mocked?, did they not live much 'Simpler' lives compared to us?, should they not be the one's to Laugh, Mock, and Pity us?. Things that (in my opinion) should always have been 'Luxury's' have now become 'Necessity's'
We Spend our lives trying to Obtain and Maintain these things, we never needed to survive in the first place, and in the process of trying to make life easier, more comfortable, and more 'Enjoyable', i dare say, we've forgotten to really live.
so who, i ask you, is the one to be pitied: Those who've lived hard lives, or those who have not lived at all?

And While i encourage you to let go of these Unnecessary 'Necessity's', and live life to it's fullest, I, Myself, am a walking contradiction. i have failed to obtain the means neither courage to 'embrace life' in this way. perhaps one day i will, but for now i would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

(Anything to add, or anything to correct? Message me.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:18 pm
A human being needs food, water, a habitat, and enough oxygen to metabolize food.
Everything else is optional.  

Sullen Couch

Yuuki Aoyagi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 pm
i suppose, what was what i was trying to say, i can't seem to word anything right anymore...
Thank you for the input. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:30 am
Though yes, sadly we take for granted all the things in life that we have grown up with and become so accustomed to having. I believe that living is much the same as it has always been and that we have only forgotten that it is through hard work that we can build something in our lives that we can truly live with.

Of all that mankind has done for himself, it is each individual's responsibility to care for yourself.  

Britainian_Knight

Yuuki Aoyagi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 pm
Very Well put!, thank you! ^^
it really makes you want to put 100% into everything you do.
still, i have to wonder if we would be better off without these luxury's...
but, i suppose, as long as we realize that we are indeed taking these things for granted, there will be no problem getting back on the right track.
after all, work is not something i despise, i just wanted to get across that we shouldn't live to work, but in stead, work to live, if anything.
We should simply enjoy life, and everything it has to offer. =)
(in my opinion...)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Yuuki Aoyagi
The other day while i was in the process of reading Walden I couldn't help but admire his work, ideology's, and Theories. (i must say i've developed a deep respect for the man) But now, on to my reason for posting this Topic: i was at the part where the Author, Henry David Thoreau, talks about Luxury & Necessity (those of you who've read Walden know what i'm talking about), and i have to agree. While we, the Future Generation, Laugh and mock past generations for their "Barbaric" lifestyles', it got me thinking, were past generations not very similar to us?, were they not the most "Advanced" of their time?.
And whilst (i choose to use this word in stead of "While", simply by preference, no offense intended) we rely so Heavily on our "Necessity's" such as: Indoor plumbing, Air Conditioning, and
Electricity. These things might have been considered a "Luxury" in past generations, i assume it was abnormal to have even one of these things, let alone all of them! (i'm refering to the 19th-20th century(s)) Now, it's considered Abnormal not to have them, and although we've come a long way, i have to wonder, are these Past Generations really to be pitied and mocked?, did they not live much 'Simpler' lives compared to us?, should they not be the one's to Laugh, Mock, and Pity us?. Things that (in my opinion) should always have been 'Luxury's' have now become 'Necessity's'
We Spend our lives trying to Obtain and Maintain these things, we never needed to survive in the first place, and in the process of trying to make life easier, more comfortable, and more 'Enjoyable', i dare say, we've forgotten to really live.
so who, i ask you, is the one to be pitied: Those who've lived hard lives, or those who have not lived at all?

And While i encourage you to let go of these Unnecessary 'Necessity's', and live life to it's fullest, I, Myself, am a walking contradiction. i have failed to obtain the means neither courage to 'embrace life' in this way. perhaps one day i will, but for now i would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

(Anything to add, or anything to correct? Message me.)

I think the ones who should be pitied is our generations, the ones who havent really lived. The past generations have had to go through so much and they are lucky, they know what life really is.  

Monster of Cookies Rawr

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff