Squawk, squawk!!
View Results

f ii o r e ll a

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:04 am
This has being going on for a while now and I feel like it's ruining my life. It started ever since I had two speeches to do in class - it was a really stressing time and I was really anxious, so I'm not sure if that is the reason that triggered this problem:

I'm usually someone who doesn't get into much conversation with anyone but my friends and family. I've decided to change those ways and start being more open to everyone around me by smiling and laughing, basically joking around like usual friends do.
Anyways after that stressful period with the speeches (already finished and over) I've noticed that whenever I talk to someone and I smile (or laugh) my mouth starts twitching uncontrollably redface . I can't even open my mouth wide enough to speak loud which leaves me mumbling. I know that sounds extremely silly but this is making me so boring in a conversation and I always feel like wanting the convos to end.

I was beginning to think this was social anxiety - but why? I don't understand why I'd feel anxious when I do love talking to people. I know one solution and that is going to a psychologist, although I don't want to go there. I've been there before for depression a couple of years back - it's expensive and my mum's counting on me to not go there again. I remember this breathing technique that my psychologist taught me to calm myself down and I've been doing that for a month now but it doesn't seem to work.

I told my mum about it and she says 'try not to twitch or even think about it'...that's not very helpful advice because the twitching happens out of my control.

Does anyone know anything else that can help me from this twitching (or maybe this social anxiety?)? Would a face massage work sweatdrop (cuz maybe there's too much tension on my face)? And has anyone experienced something like this or similar?

Please, please, please help me out here sad  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:19 pm
User Image

Yes, I do believe that what you're experiencing is part of social anxiety. (I know that because when I'm stressed or uncomfortable my stomach will gurgle. Em - barr - assing.)

Do you feel your lip twitching when it happens? If so, I guess some good ways are to write it down whenever you do feel it [or someone else tells you if you can't] and strive to cut down the number of times that it happens. So eventually, it'll be gone altogether - sort of like breaking a habit.

You can make a chart:
Like, I have one on my door (it needs to be in a visible place you visit often) that says 'I have not picked in ... days', and you have a countdown from 30 to 0. They represent the days where you haven't twitched, and when it goes down to 0 without the chain being broken then the habit is usually broken. Remember to reward yourself greatly when that does happen!

However, if, say, you just crossed out day '30' (Meaning you haven't twitched for a whole day) and then you do twitch, you start over again. Don't ever feel frustrated, its always hard to break something like that. Give it time, and be patient. You can do it. :3

To answer your question about why you may feel anxious, its probably because you're still adjusting. Being quiet and then suddenly making yourself be open probably startles the brain and it reacts by sending off anxious signals. [The mouth twitching in this case. I really don't know much about brain signals and stuff, but I can guess.]

Talk to close friends where you feel most comfortable, and open your mouth wide. Don't be afraid of a silly twitch if you're around said people, heck they're your friends. People realize that others have flaws, some accept that and some don't. The people that accept your flaws are the people you need to surrond yourself with.

Actually yes, sometimes massages help. When you have a headache, a lot of people say rubbing your temples gently helps. Maybe you can rub your face with some sort of facial lotion and focus on the area around your lips. When you feel comfortable and at peace with yourself [rubbing on lotion correctly can actually calm you down if you're patient and take some time with it] then the twitching is less likely to occur. You can try doing that once a day, maybe even set up times for it. [Such as after dinner or after bathing, before school, stuff like that.]

Theres a lot of tips all over the internet for other stress reducing tips, which are really going to help with the twitching, but here are a few:

1) Make a 'worry box'. You take a box, preferably small, and on scraps of paper write down individual worries. The twitching can be one of them. Once you feel you're done [and you can go back to it anytime and add more] you put it in another box, maybe a shoe box, and hide it so that its as far away from you as possible. Put it in a basement, an old closet, an attic, throw it away even. Get it far away from you and don't ever remember its location. If you remember its location or revisit it [unless you're adding to it] then it means you're letting the worries go back to you. Leave them in the dust, show them whos boss!

2) Sleep. Really. It usually works to bring down stress - aim for like, 8 hrs a day. Take naps, even. Sometimes that helps.

3) Exercise. Not only does it up your mood, it reduces a million bazillion medical illnesses. I'm a big fan of yoga because it focuses on relaxation and almost every muscle of the body [given a certain pose.]

4) Do whatever makes you happy whenever you're sad. It makes you feel better and will eventually override your stress, making the twitching diminish.

Best of luck, hope I helped [:

Nice to talk to you again, too xD

minus infinity

Fluffy Fatcat

xXx suicidal_skittles xXx

5,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:55 pm
I have problems like that too but instead olf mouth twitching, I start to mumble and stutter my words. Then I turn all red...Its so embarresing. I dont know of any goold ways to get rid of that except for practicing being in front of an audience. My speech class helped a bit in that area.

sorry if i didnt help much.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:51 am
Ah, so stress is what makes my stomach gurgle surprised , that usually happens when I have an exam and it's all quiet, lol!

That seems all helpful, I'll try to do all those tips - just anything to get rid of my embarrassing twitching. I've got a formal (or prom) coming up in a few months so I really want to enjoy my time there without worrying about my twitching.

Thank you! heart
The last year of high school is such a stressful time for me with all the assignments and exams - I can't wait for it to be over.  

f ii o r e ll a

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200

f ii o r e ll a

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am
4ever_lost in_his eyes
I have problems like that too but instead olf mouth twitching, I start to mumble and stutter my words. Then I turn all red...Its so embarresing. I dont know of any goold ways to get rid of that except for practicing being in front of an audience. My speech class helped a bit in that area.

sorry if i didnt help much.

I stutter a lot when I speak too and unfortunately I feel as if people think I'm dumb, particularly the people I hang out with who are extremely smart. Me stuttering alot means it's hard to get a point through so I tend to not explain things and let people around me do - it's annoying to have. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 pm
Anastasia IX
Ah, so stress is what makes my stomach gurgle surprised , that usually happens when I have an exam and it's all quiet, lol!

That seems all helpful, I'll try to do all those tips - just anything to get rid of my embarrassing twitching. I've got a formal (or prom) coming up in a few months so I really want to enjoy my time there without worrying about my twitching.

Thank you! heart
The last year of high school is such a stressful time for me with all the assignments and exams - I can't wait for it to be over.

Same here, my stomach decides to gurgle loudly at the quietest moment. xD

Oh thats awesome [: ! The formal part, of course. Not the stress.

No problem, nice talking to you again :3

minus infinity

Fluffy Fatcat

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas