Philosophy in books.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am
Alright, I don't want you all to take out your Bibles and Torahs, this isn't a "preach to me about your beliefs" thread, that's not what philosophy is. Instead, I want you to take some of your books and read to me quotes about philosophy.

I'll start with Fight Club, because is has the most philosophical quotes of any book I've read to date.

"I just don't want to die without a few scars, I say. It's nothing anymore to have a beautiful stock body. You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealer's showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste."

"You buy furniture, you tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. buy the sofa, then for a couple of years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled, then the right set of dishes, then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug.
Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things that you used to own, now they own you."

"Love & life belongs to great risk."

"One minute, Robert Paulson was the warm centre that the light of the world crowded around, and the next moment, Robert Paulson was an object. After the police shot, the amazing miracle of death."

"It's easy to cry when you realize everyone you love will reject you or die."

"Nothing is static. Everything is falling apart. I know this because Tyler knows this."

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero."

"One minute was enough, Tyler said, a person had to work hard for it, but a minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

"This was freedom. Losing all hope was freedom."

"At the time, my life just seemed too complete, and maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves."

I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?"
Why did I cause so much pain?
Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?
Can't I see that we're all manifestations of love?
I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong.
We are not special.
We are not crap or trash either. We just are.
We just are, and what happens just happens.
And God says, "No, that's not right."
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything

"I'm breaking my attachment to physical power and possessions, because only through destroying myself can I discover the greater power of my spirit."

"Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer, maybe self-destruction is the answer."

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything."

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all a part of the same compost pile."

"If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't."

"'What you have to consider,' he [the mechanic] says, 'is the possibility that God doesn't like you. Could be, God hates us. This is not the worst thing that can happen.'
How Tyler saw it was that getting God's attention for being bad was better than getting no attention at all. Maybe because God's hate is better than His indifference."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:47 pm
A man is rich in proportion to
the number of things
which he can afford to let alone.
from the chapter "Where I Lived and What I Lived For" in Walden

However mean your life is, meet it and live it;
do not shun it and call it hard names.
from the "Conclusion" to Walden

To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts,
nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live
according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence,
magnanimity, and trust.
from the chapter "Economy" in Walden

Say what you have to say, not what you ought.
Any truth is better than make-believe.

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!
from the chapter "Where I Lived and What I Lived For" in Walden

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
from the chapter "Economy" in Walden

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

Yuuki Aoyagi

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces