Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Is it still the Word of God?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pullo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:52 am
Let's pretend, just for a minute, that the Bible (or the Koran, Torah, or any other 'word of god' type of religious book) is truely God's Word. In the centuries since it's been written, language has changed a lot. Is the meaning behind the words still the Word of God? Or has it changed into something else? Discuss.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 pm
Well, if you compare the original versions in the ancient languages to the current version, there are numerous mistranslations. It went from Aramaic to Hebrew, to Latin, to German, then to English. (I think that's right, might have gotten mixed up or left some out) One specific I remember is that in the Hebrew text, the word that became "virgin" in English, actually just meant a young, un-wed girl. It changes the whole story of Jesus.

Also, what about all the books that have been discovered that were either left out, or taken out by different groups with various agendas? If these stories were truly the word of this great being, wouldn't they have been kept in, due to the being's almighty power and wisdom?  

Deppfan

idiotic randomness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:36 pm
the way i see it, anything can be taken as the word of god. as long as it has meaning to the person. now im not religious at all
but lets take it into account that you dont need to attend church, read the bible to truley beleive in "god" as long as youin your heart beleive. so going by that anything can be taken as the word of god.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:28 pm
heck no it aint truly the word of god anymore.

The original interpretation has since then been reinterpreted into many other languages, which in turn have been reinterpreted into other laguages, which in tern have also been reinterpreted into other languages.

add in to corruption of the old catholic church, from back when the commonfolk could not even READ the bible, having to instead trust that what the reading priests claimed were the words of god, thus making the catholic church the dominating rulers of people for a long time.

plus in truth, the bible was put togeather out of many documents and scriptures, many of which were left out, ommited and destroyed if the church did not like them.

So really, the only way to know the true true word of god is to learn the old languages, and somehow view as many of the old originals as you can. of course most are, again, destroyed, 'missing', or in the hands OF the church, unviewable by the common masses.

So really, i feel that yes you should read through your bible, perhaps several different interpretations of it, and let your own faith, soul, and concience guide you toward what is right and true, not necisarilly any particular church's view on the matter, because most all modern churches are too commercialized these days.  

Master Azrael Reaper

Danse-de-Macabre

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 pm
The bible has been re-written by so many people. Im surprised ANYTHING in the bible is written by "The word of god"
It simply does not take that tole anymore.
Take for instance, it use to have be written as "Man to serve god" but now it says "Man to serve man"
You can tell, it has been flawed already.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:58 pm
Deppfan Teague
Well, if you compare the original versions in the ancient languages to the current version, there are numerous mistranslations. It went from Aramaic to Hebrew, to Latin, to German, then to English. (I think that's right, might have gotten mixed up or left some out) One specific I remember is that in the Hebrew text, the word that became "virgin" in English, actually just meant a young, un-wed girl. It changes the whole story of Jesus.

Also, what about all the books that have been discovered that were either left out, or taken out by different groups with various agendas? If these stories were truly the word of this great being, wouldn't they have been kept in, due to the being's almighty power and wisdom?

Actually, from Aramaic to Hebrew, then to Latin, then from Latin, to a bunch of other languages.
English Scholars translated directly from Latin, so did French, Spanish, and other scholars.
But yes, there are some mistranslations.  

Mad Haru

Deppfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm
Harujiro no Yorozuya
Deppfan Teague

Actually, from Aramaic to Hebrew, then to Latin, then from Latin, to a bunch of other languages.
English Scholars translated directly from Latin, so did French, Spanish, and other scholars.
But yes, there are some mistranslations.

Yeah, I wasn't sure after Latin, with the whole Gutenburg Bible thing.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:53 pm
Yeah...the Bible isn't the 'Word of God' its the 'Inspired Word of God' theres a difference ^^"  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items