Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Are theistic religions logical?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do YOU think theistic religions are logical?
  No, not in this day-and-age. Science can prove nearly everything "god" was made out to do in the bible.
  Yes, though I have read this and agree that religion can cause violence and struggles in other countries, I still stand firm in my belief of my theistic religion.
  Yes, You're an idiot, of course the bible is 100% true and there could never be anything incorrect in it. EVER.
View Results

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:26 pm
In my opinion, no, they are not logical, nearly every conflict in human history has been sparked by, or fueled by theistic extremists.

9/11/01:
A plane flies into the north tower of the world trade center. A few minutes later, a second plane flies into the south tower. There are hardly any survivors from the towers and everyone on both planes dies. A few more minutes later, A third plane crashes into the pentagon, again all people on board the plane die. Finally, a fourth and final plane crashes into a field in Pennsylvania, everyone on board dies. This plane was headed toward the white house. 19 al-Qaeda religious extremists hijacked these four planes and systematically drove them into their intended targets. The hijackers intent: To break America's spirit and prove to us that our religion is wrong and we are weak-willed simpletons.

Did it work? No.

This is just one example of how religious extremists lead to war. A few WEEKS after the attacks, an invasion force 200,000 men strong entered Afghanistan with the intent to annihilate the Taliban and al-Qaeda at once.

Do you think that Theistic religions are logical in today's day-and-age? With our modern science and medicine that can explain and disprove almost, if not every word in the bible?

Please give REAL standpoints, this is called The Intelligent Discussion forum for a reason, people.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 pm
'Theistic Religion' is an redundancy.
Just so ya know.
Most things are logical, and can be proven by science.
The 'Transmutation of Water into Wine' shouldn't be possible without a nuclear explosion, therefore Science hasn't proven it.
However, we aren't certain whether it happened.
Now I'm second-guessing myself.  

Mad Haru

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:41 pm
How is 'Theistic religion' a redundancy? Theistic implies a god or higher being and religion implies worshiping or following a god or higher being. Am i wrong?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm
You just said it yourself. If religion is the belief in a diety or higher power, then there is no need to add the theistic part. It's implied.  

Deppfan

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:50 am
Not true, it is not implied in the theological sense, i.e. sadism is a religion, yet they do not worship a "god" or higher power they worship a "demon" correct?

My last statement is voided anyway because religion is just someone's systematic approach towards living that involves one's beliefs about their origins.

I APOLOGIZE smile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 pm
Brett Krueger
Not true, it is not implied in the theological sense, i.e. sadism is a religion, yet they do not worship a "god" or higher power they worship a "demon" correct?

My last statement is voided anyway because religion is just someone's systematic approach towards living that involves one's beliefs about their origins.

I APOLOGIZE smile

Sadism is the sexual gratification from inflicting pain on another person.

You mean Satanism. But, if you want to get technical, Satan is not a demon. He's a fallen angel.  

Deppfan

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:30 am
What else would a fallen angel be though? He isn't human, and he is the keeper of Hell. All of his minions are demons, correct? I don't understand how fallen angel and demon aren't synonymous. He did something bad enough to be kicked out of Heaven, he must not be the nicest guy right?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:09 pm
Brett Krueger
What else would a fallen angel be though? He isn't human, and he is the keeper of Hell. All of his minions are demons, correct? I don't understand how fallen angel and demon aren't synonymous. He did something bad enough to be kicked out of Heaven, he must not be the nicest guy right?

It wasn't that he was evil. He didn't like how God was doing things, and thought he could be a better leader, so he tried to overthrow him, and got sent to Hell for it.  

Deppfan

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:41 pm
Let's start with the believers and the non-belivers. Believers in a deity will quickly dismiss anything as the work of god while Non-believers or in a other word: Atheists who will dismiss anything as science. They both have logical arguments in what actually exits. I am personally Christian and respect their belief and will not criticize them for it but keep in mind I can still back up my argument that some deity is out there. But the truth of the matter is "God cannot be proven or disproven" since there is no real hard solid evidence on one or the other.

Now the bible, Q'uran, and the Torah are the 3 main holy books that revolve around one topic: God and if you take the time to read some of it you will see that not everything in it is spelled out clearly so people can misinterpret the word of god and use that for their own gain. Now is theistic religion logical? In a way yes. The holy books shouldn't be seen as a set of rules that everyone needs to follow or else but more of a guidebook on how to live your life.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 pm
lnvictus

I APOLOGIZE smile
Satanism is a varied term and not necessarily the worship of a demon. In fact most modern day Satanists don't worship anyone but are dedicated to the acceptance of the carnal self. Satan is more of a symbol to them. If god is so vengeful and allows nothing, Satan can't be that bad.

They are atheists.  

Garynook

6,950 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 pm
Soul of Aqua
lnvictus

I APOLOGIZE smile
Satanism is a varied term and not necessarily the worship of a demon. In fact most modern day Satanists don't worship anyone but are dedicated to the acceptance of the carnal self. Satan is more of a symbol to them. If god is so vengeful and allows nothing, Satan can't be that bad.

They are atheists.

This is why I find Satanism so illogical. They worship the devil but don't believe he exists what sense does that make?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:16 pm
Deppfan Teague
Brett Krueger

It wasn't that he was evil. He didn't like how God was doing things, and thought he could be a better leader, so he tried to overthrow him, and got sent to Hell for it.

actualy their wasnt a original hell, from what i have heard, lucifer, gods most gracious and powerfull angel, created hell when he thought he could do a better job.

now by going by this thought, lucifer created his own realm, which means he is a very powerfull being, almost as powerfull as god,

now by going furthure, god is said to be all powerfull, all knowing and present everywhere. which means he knew lucifer would turn on him, knew his son would be put on a cross to die for our sins, knew every bad thing would happen,

how is this a just and fair god?

furthure more i hear god tests us, yet if he knows the outcome, then how is it a test?  

idiotic randomness

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 am
Mad Haru
'Theistic Religion' is an redundancy.

Not necessarily. For example, Buddhism is a religion but most Buddhists are atheists (only in some sects is there deification of the Buddha and/or other figures).

Anyway, I'm feeling too lazy to give an in-depth answer (I just typed a rather long rant about teenage sexuality), so I'll just say that no, I do not find theistic religions to be logical, nor any other types religions/spirituality for that matter.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games